Mah and discharge rate?

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Does one determine the other?

Not exactly, it's just that manufacturers of lipos use the xC rating system where x is the multiple of the capacity. So for an example a 25c battery will withstand ;

25amps on a 1000mAh battery

50amps on a 2000mAh battery

100amps on a 4000mAh battery

etc

Depends what you mean decent...

The constant or burst rate has an affect on trigger response,where MaH has a more direct affect on longevity of the battery power supplied.

At the weekend I was using 7.4 1200 MaH with 15 constant/25 burst and 7.4 2200 MaH  with 35 constant/70 burst.Trying out a new set up the smaller more compact batteries in the stock.With the gun on auto with the larger batteries I could release a 3 shot burst with the slightest flick,there was a noticeable difference when I tried with the smaller batteries.

My gun has a silly h/s motor with a high RoF and the larger batteries are the ones I've always used and there was so much noticeable difference,it is fast compared to others I've tried.

Where the MaH came into it was when I tried to  empty a high cap and the battery/power noticeably dropped off,it was audible,but how often do you empty a whole Hi-cap in one go??Perhaps a std gun would see less of a difference.

I found this on the field not in a lab,I'll stick to my big batteries.

• Supporters

the flip side is knowing how much your build is trying to draw.

i nearly ran into it using a 25c 800mah lipo with an asg 40k motor, good thing i was just testing and pulled the battery seeing it starting to look like swelling and switched stocks to let me run a 25c 1500mah which was fine (until that monster of a motor ate everything in the gearbox 😮 )

generally i'd say run the largest capacity battery you can fit in your gun, not only will it last longer but it'll give you a higher overhead. of course depending on the gun that might mean sacrificing that nice skeleton stock for a solid one so you can run a larger battery. higher discharge rate (the "C" rating) will always be better so go for the highest you can find/afford.

of course this depends entirely on your definition of fast trigger response and rate of fire, if you're trying to compete with an hpa gun then it's going to need a bit more work.

10 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

How many amps output is the minimum for a decent trigger response and rate of fire? 

As adolf says, any Amp draw  above what your rig pulls is fine. If your aeg pulls 35amps peak for argument sake, using a battery higher than 36amps won't give you more trigger response on a full charge, but as the charge state drops so does the discharge potential so overspeccing on the C doesn't hurt.

Lipo's are dirt cheap nowadays (i use to pay £40-50 for a 3s1800mah for RC stuff many years ago, the same is now £7!) , just go to Hobbyking and buy the largest mAh that will fit in your battery compartment and aim for a 50-60 amp discharge potential. So if you can only fit a 1000mAh battery, buy a 65C battery, if you can fit a 2200mAh battery in there, you'll be fine with a 30C.

Anyway, a 3s (11.1v) lipo will give you better response than a 2s (7.4v) lipo. The downside to 11.1v is in a non mosfet AEG the trigger contacts wear out faster, and your ROF will be higher, which may or may not be an issue depending on gearing, motor etc.

Archived