AEG DMR advice

Remegel
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have googled this and searched the forum  most of the information is old I am worndering if any of the new aeg’s would make a good dmr. I have thinking of the g and g sr25 but I just wonder if I can do better. I’m looking to spend £800 max but I want it to have the best trigger response I can and the most range possible.

• Supporters

I was extremely disappointed with making a well built DMR. It didn’t perform well enough to challenge a bolty, and wasn’t worth loosing the auto button from a well tuned AEG.

If your mind is set on a DMR I would say you can’t go much better than an SR-25.

I have seen the M14 makes a really good base for a DMR too.

The mechanics of any DMR are the same, so as usual it’s down to looks.

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html#/topics/892

This link helped me when I built mine. 

But some of the sr25 have enlarged cylinders but the g and g is standard but I’m also looking at the advantages of hpa but if I sink the same money can I get the same performance?

• Supporters

My team mate runs nothing but HPA, and I see the appeal, his rifles are always more consistent and reliable (better range too). I don’t know enough about HPA to bleat on about the advantages and disadvantages. 

Dont forget, with HPA you could have an assault rifle and DMR in the same gun(just change pressures, and maybe a FCU(I think)to prevent auto when using as a normal RIF).

• Supporters

mate of mine has an sr25:

as an aeg he had folk accusing him of running hot (it wasn't, i know this for a fact i put the spring in and tested it myself)

as an hpa it's scary, we ran a "hunt the sniper" game, he set up camp on an island in the middle of a marsh and proceeded to slaughter pretty much the entirety of the attacking group (5 snipers versus 10 regulars and 30 rentals), i was attacking and even knowing the capability of that gun he still managed to ping me at what i thought was just outside the edge of his range.

the m14, scar heavy or svd would also be honorouble mentions.

if you're considering the hpa route it will be pricier, but being a dmr you have some advantages as a lot of hpa's focus tends to be on ultra high rate of fire as responsive semi auto is pretty much a given. pretty much any of the hpa offerings will give you excellent trigger response (especially when combined with a proper speed trigger) over an aeg, my mate's sr is running a polarstar jack engine and it's very good, although you could argue that the fusion/f2 engines might be *slightly* better due to being closed bolt, but frankly i don't think the difference is anything worth crying over.

just check if you're considering hpa that whatever kit you buy has a nozzle/trigger unit available to fit your specific gun configuration (unless it's just a standard v2/v3 length in which case you'll be all right), the g&g sr25 fortunately does seem to be a common one on the list that you can get nozzles for.

the polarstar stuff lets you program what selector setting does what, so aside from physically modifying the safety to move to full auto you can set it to a burst of 1-9 rounds or full auto and set a delay between shots in semi if your site requires a method of preventing trigger spamming. i've not used the wolverine stuff but i imagine their fcu is probably going to be something similar in functionality.

My friend runs a CA SR25, I obtained it for him and it's actually one of the two rifs used in Captain Phillips near the end of the film (another friend has the other one I got at the same time). He's completely stripped the internals, rebuilt it and it fires great. Semi shot by default. They're AEGs. It took a lot of work, money and time but he got it there and it does the job. They're BIG rifs to run but run they do.

A lot of the parts (if not all) internally were purchased from AK2M4 - except the OEM gearbox shell.

I would go for a cheap A&K SR25 as a base, then use what you have saved to up the internals.

Archived