Multi charging

snuff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have to charge quite a few batteries,it's long,I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase something like this-->https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Battery-Charger-Parallel-Balanced-Charging-Board-T-Type-for-IMAX-B6-B8/292806293910?hash=item442c9d7996:g:9-wAAOSwRBVb5joi:rk:23:pf:0

I never leave them unattended anyway,but if this is not suitable any other recomendations would be appreciated.

It depends on what you have to charge.

Balance boards are used when you have identical batteries.

You bring all the batteries to the same state of charge using the discharge function, then charge them when needed. The problem been all of the batteries need to be of the same charge state, and of the same capacity. You can't mix and match.

The system is simple enough, You multiply the ampage for a single battery by the number of batteries you are charging. You can run into ampage overhead problems. If you run a lot of higher capacity batteries you will run into this sooner.

The basic formula is the charge ampage x the number of batteries.

so for 1100mAh you have 1.1 amps. The standard 5 amp b6 can, therefore, gang charge up to 4 at a time. @ 4.4 amps. (1.1 x4).

If you run 2200mAh then you can charge only 2 at full speed again at 4.4 amps (2.2 x2).

If you run fast charge cells that are capable of 2C and 3C charge rates the balance board is redundant. As the B6 isn't going to be able to deal the ampage needed to gang charge multiples in fast charge mode.

1100 mAh 3c charge rate is 3.3 amps (20-minute charge rather than the standard 1 hour). The B6 can't deliver the ampage to gang charge multiples.

I looked into getting this system set up for myself and have a couple of those boards. It's situational where I get them out. And it only really works when I know exactly the loadouts I'm taking.

I am planning on a totally new charger to remove this problem for myself.

The SkyRC Q200 quatrro charger is a better solution for me.

It is capable of acting like 4 independent chargers, That can also be ganged with those boards. And it'll charge at 5amps on each charger circuit.

It's not a cheap solution, but it's one that works well for airsoft where you have a huge range of battery sizes.

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-q200-quatrro-4-channel-200w-ac-balance-charger

Cheers,I did a bit of research too and as you say they are ok if all the batteries are in the same state of charge.Thanks for the advice and as you say we'd be better off with a better multi-charger..sorted thanks.

Archived