Protecting collection in most efficient (Cheapest) way.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

After acquiring number 18 in the collection, I have decided I need to spend some cash on cases, soft, hard or otherwise. My guns are just in a corner of a bedroom lent up against eachother. We have builders coming in beginning of May and I need to be able to move all my stuff with the minimum of fuss and without causing alarm. I wont be using these to go to skirmish sites. Currently I have 3 softcases, none are particularly well padded, but do a job. 

So I just need a cheap solution to hold these things. Looking at the following. 

Softcases: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100cm-39-120cm-47-Tactical-Hunting-Shotgun-Rifle-Bag-Dual-Padded-Carry-Gun-Case/173149785501?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471881964128&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have one of these already, very little padding, but it is cheap and quite long so I could fit in two rifles with something soft sandwiching them. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Rifle-Military-Tactical-Gun-Bag-Hunting-Shooting-Carry-case-5-Colors-UK/202310408668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502284423930&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Not sure about these, seems to be able to hold lots of accessories. Probably good to take out to skirmishes, not sure about storage for home though. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Rifle-Military-Tactical-Gun-Bag-Hunting-Shooting-Carry-case-5-Colors-UK/202310408668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502284423930&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Lots of foam in this one, but it's look and could be a pain to work with. 

Hardcases:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-rifle-case-id_629517.html

Cheapest hard case, could hold a rifle and a pistol. Maybe two small rifles at a push. Unfortunately most bullpups are a bit taller then anything of a standard config so I have my doubts. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gorilla-GC-RFL-Gun-Rifle-135cm-Padded-Transport-Storage-Flight-Carry-Case/173428159782?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This would be ideal, decent hardcase, but really too expensive for my budget. 

Any opinions on the above? Does anyone have a more ingenious solution? 

Cheers!

R

What about a suitcase? If you have one knocking about it could get all or most of them in, take us less room and you might already own one  or be able to borrow one for the short term to hide them from builders eyes.

Was it not you who sold guitar equipment?

Do you have any guitar cases floating about ;) 

12 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

What about a suitcase? If you have one knocking about it could get all or most of them in, take us less room and you might already own one  or be able to borrow one for the short term to hide them from builders eyes.

Was it not you who sold guitar equipment?

Do you have any guitar cases floating about ;) 

I have a two spare bass gig bags I can use for the moment. Suitcase is an idea. Maybe I can buy some foam in the short term. 

Looking for a more permanently solution, but this was my backup plan if I couldnt make it happen!

5 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I have a two spare bass gig bags I can use for the moment. Suitcase is an idea. Maybe I can buy some foam in the short term. 

Looking for a more permanently solution, but this was my backup plan if I couldnt make it happen!

Ah fair enough. Im a big advocate for seeing what I already have that will work before spending money thats all ;)  

I would have used a big suitcase and some old sheets as a short term solution :P  

What I used to do was use an old long sports bag like this: https://www.sportsdirect.com/kookaburra-350-wheelie-bag-92-850026?colcode=85002647

And took out the top thin foam layer than came in the gun boxes and sandwiched my guns in between whilst they were in the garage. Was an easy cheap solution.

I have one of the ones from decathlon (cannot remember which, one if long and thing the other is shorter and slightly wider)

It is pretty robust, I use it for taking my aegs to skirmishes. Can fit the recce and the wasp (without it's tube "stock" ) in it no bother. None would fit with a scope attached however.  For the money I can't really fault the case. 
gfZ8wIAAz2VCxwJZK7TvlGDv5_FcWCZQQapCqf3lvoZQ2bfGngsvQhptOcTnM94suT4doGSEQcxhDmmJcas4P08TWtgpSCSnWgLh4PkDGt_B9wqi2RREawQv2AclZPVfDDbiKlA3ft6b4mtHgy0pzOPxokIj_dAEn3bAHs5Aa2Nh5bAJ7qlHFhKQwZvqvmCfOii_NIRb92vFG06MEtdX_Eje7KdY36jL4FVTvEvycOyqW9SHMPORKvV7dErCLYfpFvKw6XBnqePnxWKZf39a6RF10o5DcnbaTwKrRnOD2vIxQRX2YHjly_fbzyaC-X83L79hyrX3L9aecJyCgmfVp-2A7qxm5gT-om10jxEzMTdOSlXGSsFr3w3S8MMu9nFQnS8yjI4HCuSlIWDlVWOX0p2UZyIjlfrKvKmmDYqccnWx8T9h-DY0EOBQqWO1Vck2KJJ1qmuJtvOdsI0ssQq5rOmCVFuX3sC-NptHeBXZgwsfBLgvzwGydsTKLF41p7WoNwVOn_pYlN8jpiE-teLiNcJx_pkD3Yln1rJfdjuDibyGVVBHhQanjR9Duj6nBzfUCS8zqMXBcx-VU8MJu7TkW4sT5Cgu3h0Wa53fwssx-DoU01oE9VKvo5Tp1K2QbdOuf7ONE5gaQzODs1y_TSF1CcJRYRMqkQov=w932-h699-no

If it's just for storing in your bed room plenty of furniture places sell ottoman storage benches, find one that matches your current furniture and it will blend right in , then just get some foam inserts to protect the guns inside 

• Supporters

As Albiscuit said big ass sports bag , get a kip mat cut it in to a couple of pieces then ‘sandwich’ them in between your guns , sorted .👍

3 hours ago, lemon191 said:

If it's just for storing in your bed room plenty of furniture places sell ottoman storage benches, find one that matches your current furniture and it will blend right in , then just get some foam inserts to protect the guns inside 

Sounds like a better idea.  Or a cheap cabinet with some diy dividers. After all, its for storage. How many gun bags do you need? I keep mine in a simple Ikea cupboard. 

Homebase (do they still exist?) & B&Q sometimes have huge lockable crates for peanuts. I store mine in them.

Well most of them... :lol: ... otherwies they're in my wardrobe

(and my clothes are thrown on the floor like a forty something student to make space. Priorities. 👍 )

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I need to be able to move all my stuff with the minimum of fuss and without causing alarm. I wont be using these to go to skirmish sites. So I just need a cheap solution to hold these things.

blue-20-x-heavy-duty-refuse-sacks1__2595

This meets the stated requirements.

Your proposed solutions make me wonder if the exercise for the reader is to figure out what your requirements really are.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

blue-20-x-heavy-duty-refuse-sacks1__2595

This meets the stated requirements.

Your proposed solutions make me wonder if the exercise for the reader is to figure out what your requirements really are.

Sure, if I want the things to not be protected ;). 

At the moment I am looking at those giant plastic storage containers you can get down t'supermarket. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Sure, if I want the things to not be protected ;). 

At the moment I am looking at those giant plastic storage containers you can get down t'supermarket. 

The under bed ones are quite good for ‘static’ storage , just make sure there long enough for your GATT’s too fit , sounds obvious but easily forgotten ! 🤦‍♂️

Archived