Crawley Noob needs advice

wire2k
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey there,

Recently my wife started nagging me to get out the house and get some exercise. I find running in circles pointless so thought hey theres an airsoft place down the road in Holmbush lets check it out.

So im looking to go down sometime in the next few weeks.

I have:

Some boots

Some get muddy trousers

Ratty old hoody.

Rental gear will be fine for a while and i dont want to go nuts but eventually ill want to get my own rifle. (And anyway as i understand to go about getting a rifle i need to register after 3 games over at least 2 months)

Ive been doing some preparation research and been seeing alot of suggestions for a G&G CM M4 as a good beginner gun.

Ive been looking at some i found on Patrolbase but have some questions:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-raider-l?pv=2439

Looks like a good cheap start point but surely at some point will want to add a sight and wont the stock front sight get in the way? Can this be removed?

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-g-combat-machine-cm16-raider-2-0?pv=5103

Looks like an upgrade of the above and should be able to remove the stock sights

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-r8-l?pv=5063

I like that it comes with a sight. But unsure about the rail system?

Depending on the time frame i may end up splurging a bit higher for something like:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-combat-machine-series-predator?pv=6744

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-sr-series-combat-machine?pv=1169

One concern i have is the various rail systems like RIS or MLOK do these limit things in that you need to get attachments that are compatible with the particular rail system or are they interchangeable?

Also it looks like the lower priced weapons run on a lower voltage and is this something that will be a limitation or can be upgraded in the future?

Basically my main aim is for something that will serve as a beginner rifle out of the box but has room for upgrades to last. I dont want to spend £150-200 on a gun that has limitations and will need replacing 6 months later.

Also has anyone had any experience with https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/ near Crawley do they know their stuff?

Thanks for the help.

Wire2k

DOGTAG at holmbush is a great site. Another nearby is Apocalypse which is also good and a little different to Dogtag. I like both.

G&G are a good brand, someone else may know the models you've mentioned as I have no experience with those. I have two G&G RIFs and they're solid.

Invest in good Eye protection and a face mask. I like Tigris style ones, steel mesh over the nose and mouth but soft padding on the cheeks to ears. As for eyes, there's a lot of options and something everytone spends money trying out to find what works. Plus it depends on if the look is important but function and fit is key overall. You can however hire these as part of the Rental package(s).

Surplusstore are fine, but you may find the same RIFs cheaper elsewhere. Never had a problem with their Service. ANd as I've never had a problem with them I can't say how they are with a problem. There may be a review section for them on here so have a look and see if nobody mentions any on this thread.

Oh & WELCOME 👍

Welcome. 

Holmbush (dogtag airsoft) is an excellent place to start out, it’s where I started and is my local and favourite site, so there’s no worries there. 

As as far as guns go, don’t worry about it too much at the moment. Play a few games first, you never know, you may not even like it. 

Surplus store ore is a good shop, I’ve bought several things from there (including RIFs) and they’ve always been helpful and friendly. 

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Have a read of the pinned (sticky) topics in each section, some good information.

I would advise that you get your own eye protection, it is much better than using rental kit (and does not smell of previous renters' sweat), and do not cut corners with eye safety.

This old topic on Crawley Surplus shop, may want to add an update after you go there.

I am also a relative new player. Was advised by numerous players to go down the G&G route as an relatively inexpensive entry level. I went for the Raider 2.0 as it seemed to offer a number of advantages over early versions.

Have been absolutely delighted with it but have just upgraded the spring to M100 to get just over 340 FPS. Now shoots more consistently/straighter and a bit longer. It now compares really well to much more expensive guns.

I found that lots of players were only too happy to let me try out their guns and offered so much good independent advice. This try before you buy  method helped me no end and I am deeply indebted to those who helped.

You have done research on your own so brownie points for you not wanting us to sort everything for you :)

Regarding the gun, all you have chosen will do you well straight from the box. Some of the best games I had was with my cheapo Combat machine (even when it was not running properly). Just go with what you prefer the look of. The best advice is try to get to a local store and get a feel for them. Nothing better than being able to hold them and test them out!

Just remember you will need battery, charger, mags and maybe a carry case so leave some money in your budget. A sling is always useful too. 

Potentially ask your local store too for a deal. If you were to buy everything from them see if they could chuck some gear in for free or at least give you a discount etc.

I have bought online from surplus store with no issues. Best to pop along and have a chat with the guys.

Dogtag, Holmbush was lots of fun. Everyone friendly and helpful, rental gear was ok. I took a rag with me expecting fogging up goggles but they use a full face mesh mask.

G36 rifle wasn't as inaccurate as I expected a rental gun to be but can see being outshot and outranged by player rifles. So was good they grouped all the rental players together so on a level playing field.

Not terribly bruised, whacked my knee with a YOLO dive into a bush but it got me the kill :) Staff were great with lots of positive feedback for calling hits. 

Next buy for me:

-Knee pads

-Mask and goggles. (Can anyone recommend a mesh mask that would work attached to a fast helmet. Helmet is on to buy list later but want to able to attach mask and clip it on/off)

-New legs. Mine feel like lead and currently not happy with stairs

Ooh and got a UKARA form cheers E21A

Archived