Occasional grinding sound

Guest Marauder211
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest Marauder211

So I was testing my new Ares magazine for my AR-016 (also ares). I heard a sound come from the gearbox like a grinding sound accompanied with a vibration from the pistol grip into the lower reciever. This sound i've heard before once in my last game, the marshall said that it maybe because my hi-cap had run out of ammo and the spring unwinding, that is nothing out of the ordinary as i've heard it before. This time i was using a midcap magazine. Should i get my gearbox reshimmed? What should i do? I'm too scared to take the gearbox apart and i would rather get a professional on the case. I live in blaenau gwent south wales.

Guest Marauder211

So i think i have it. The grinding only seems to be like 1 in every 5000-10,000 shots. Hopefully that has fixed it. Next game i'll get it serviced and checked by the tech.

Is it immediately after you take a shot or burst of shots.

I would expect it to be the ARL not engaging correctly, either because it's worn, not seating correctly, or the bevel gear is worn.

Guest Marauder211

It's a brand new gun (only used a few times) so the bevel shouldn't be worn. What is the ARL? i've checked the motor seating and i'm going to go over it again with an actual tech. The grinding seems to happen maybe 1 out of every 10,000 shots in full auto (i rarely use full auto). 

Guest Marauder211

I bought it first hand, it was shipped from a wholesaler to the shop i bought it from. The 5-10,000 shots is more of an average that i have calculated from the three times i've used it. (I know, i'm not the best at the sport). I've encountered this sound twice. I've tried correcting the motor seating so with any luck it'll be that as the vibration came from the pistol grip. The gun hasn't been used before me.

And as i said in the original post, the first encounter could very well have been my hi-cap unwinding. I did run out of ammo and there wasn't a vibration in the pistol grip.

Sorry, I misread your OP,

I thought you had said it definitely wasn't the mag un-winding! Now I have read it again you were asking if it could be!

The ARL - Anti reversal latch, is a gearbox part. It stops the gearbox rotating backwards. I assumed it could be this part based on the fact I thought you said it was definitely not a mag un-winding! It is probably not this part if the gun has only skirmished 3 times.

The mag unwinding is a strange sensation. It feels a bit like a phone on vibrate and can last what feels like a couple of seconds. It's nothing to be worried about. And generally happens when you run out of BB's inside the mag. The BB's are responsible for holding the spring tension that allows a high cap to keep feeding, Once it no longer has enough BB's to hold the tension to the feed nipple the spring unwinds.

Guest Marauder211

Of course i forgot about that part. Sorry if i came off as snappy there. I'm going to go to a tech if i get this issue again. I am too scared to take apart a gun's gearbox as i don't have £200 to spend on a new gun 😕 (it may not have the best rate of fire but it is accurate and feels nice to shoot lol)

Archived