G&G mp5 jamming

Dread
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys 

I have a g&g mp5 which I bought last month. I have not played with it yet but have been using it in my garden. It all worked perfectly fine out of the box. I bought some mid caps for it and they worked perfectly fine.

However over the last couple of days it has been jamming up on me. Sometimes I can keep shooting at it will unjam by spitting out 2 or 3 bb’s and then it will continue to work fine until it jams again. I have also noticed that every now and then a shot will be very underpowered and go half the distance or just stray right off target.

I am going to retry the hicap that came with the gun to see if a magazine problem and I’m also gonna buy some better bb’s to rule that out.

This is the first gun I have owned so my knowledge isn’t great. I have opened the gun and took out the hop up/barrel to perform the drop test and push test. I noticed that if the barrel is pushed the slightest bit too far into the hop up, it will fail the drop test because the bucking sticks out. I have set it up now so that the drop test works. Then I tried the push test and I don’t know what force is needed to push the bb past the bucking and down the barrel but mine needs quite a push and even when it is pushed past the bucking lips the bb gets stuck by the nub even with the hop up on the minimum setting.

I am going to test again tomorrow but does anyone have any advice to offer.

Thanks

Dread

Must be Jamaican, you know... jamm'in ;)

Sorry, had to throw that out there.

Definitely try different mag and BBs.

Have you cleaned the barrel?

You're not using bio BB's right?

I have not cleaned the barrel cus I only got it brand new a month back, but if it may help then it’s worth a go. What’s the best way of cleaning it?

No not using bio’s, tbh I’m using non branded 0.2g’s of eBay.

My MP5 (JG) is a bit twitchy with mags. Ive got 4 or 5 Hicaps all of which miss feed from time to time. I've got one of the 'double' hicaps and that never gives me any issues at all. I do use BIO BB's but do make sure you are using a decent brand. I find that dropping the mag and re inserting it clears the issue for a bit but I rarely run the standard mags now, Just the double and a bag of BB's to top up with.

Would a mag cause it to jam in the barrel though?

again sorry my knowledge isn’t great.

i do have a feeling it’s the bucking but just confused to why it was all working fine and then just suddenly started to jam up

The 2 or 3 BB's could be a miss feed. If they are jamming inside the barrel it self that that suggests to me an issue with the BBs not being a consistent shape or size. Also make sure you keep the mags wound on, more tension behind the BBs may help. But I suspect it's a combination of poor quality BBs and 'twitchy' mags. Do you know anyone with an MP5 that could try your mags in their gun ? Where abouts in the country are you ?

Thinking about the hop rubber, have you got the hop fully on ? not that that should be an issue, again unless it's the BBs that are at fault.

Yep, cheap BB's definitely the main suspect.

I guess you didn't get a cleaning rod with it?

Should be able to buy one cheap.  Cut a strip of cloth to fit through the loop at the end then twist into barrel so its tight but not too tight. (turn off hop)

Worth doing even new as shite can get in there during packaging etc.

If decent ammo doesn't solve the problem then try holding the mag pushed up to see if that helps.

I’m using mid caps so I don’t have to wind the mags, but I’ll make sure to do that when I try it with the stock hicap mag.

I don’t know anyone in airsoft, picked this hobby up on my own. I’m from sandbach in Cheshire.

it is jamming up on me even with the hop up all the way down.

oh yeah a rod came with it, I just thought it was for unjamming. I’ll get some cloth a clean it tommorow.

tbh the midcaps are extremely tight with no play in them, so that’s making me think it’s not the mags. I did read something about midcaps having too much tension casing them to push the bb up and into the barrel, allowing room for another bb to fit into the chamber at the same time. If thats true I don’t know

Hey guys

apologies, I have only just had a chance to get out in the garden to test my gun.

first of all I gave my barrel a clean, and I must say there was a fair bit of grime in there for a new gun. Then tested with the original high cap and it jammed again and again. Then I tried the mid cap just to check and it jammed as expected.

So I shot a mag until it jammed and left it that way. Stripped it down to take pictures for more information.

I took the barrel and hop up out and as you can see the bb is jammed just pasted the bucking lips.068C914E-47E9-42C6-9CE1-91D701FE4BE9.thumb.jpeg.1e6c10871dedeb90d67e1a0bb8c2d4d1.jpegEA07F136-B4C8-4D65-9906-65D7DEB1B8CF.thumb.jpeg.1481080880b5f40773b919bc97f1ca1c.jpeg

Then I took the barrel out of the hop up and the bb was still jammed in there.

73443257-D4E3-4E58-9DD1-DA1D68059270.thumb.jpeg.127cb3fe549950a592f26ede0dcd4d87.jpegD7BA33DC-3B3C-4D25-841E-5BEB1E25C007.thumb.jpeg.e73534adae0a3edf8af469631cae7c16.jpeg

Then I even managed to take the bucking off without dislodging the bb.

C8D3C5D9-656F-4A63-A7EA-74C6CC214485.thumb.jpeg.1d6f1609838801673cc4cfa7fc6c683e.jpegEB414850-43FD-47C3-A7DB-CD2CA6163FAF.thumb.jpeg.f4ee18fdba80f95017d29ef5da0485fe.jpeg

So I tried to push the bb down the barrel and it just stopped straight away.

78942DA9-C2FA-4002-8739-E48BBA20AF36.thumb.jpeg.1f26b85b50daf530a0284da7127518db.jpeg1BE4100B-BA1C-4E8D-9DA9-11AF06611675.thumb.jpeg.ee46fa3143220284f9385db0fc5c1895.jpeg8210C037-F71B-475D-9591-94A9E67E2B07.thumb.jpeg.751db4fe0fbd8f3adb0597643052f4a4.jpeg

I had to get the jamming rod and push the bb all the way through the barrel. You could see where the bb scrapped all the way down the barrel.

9CA841EC-1271-4285-B6E6-4BD73C7F37FF.thumb.jpeg.a646053632929e91957885da58f2f27a.jpeg

So I tried putting more bb’s down the barrel and some just rolled straight through no problem and others needed to be pushed through.

I get paid tomorrow so I’m going to order some g&g bb’s and test them.

what do you guys think?

Thanks

Dread

Whilst you have the rifle apart, buy a new barrel and bucking. MP5's are an arse to work on so might as well do that now! 

I imagine this is a bb problem, but at least you can rule out bucking and barrel and get increased performance in one swoop.

Never use unbranded BBs, the cheapest BBS I use are the ASG Devils. Occasionally I will use blasters if I have no choice though they do have a small history of shattering on impact at close ranges. 

Well that certainly looks like a BB issue. if you plan to fit a tight bore or change the bucking it does make sense to do that at the same time, however if you leave those as is and just try decent BBs and that solves the problem at least you know it was definitely the BBs , if you change other bits at the same time it MIGHT have been the BBs or the bucking or the barrel.

To be fair it doesn’t take me long to take this gun apart and put it back together again so I try the bb’s first.

however the upgrades you have suggest are first on my list, what brand of barrel and bucking would you guys suggest?

I've been favouring Tomtac barrels recently , and I fitted an SHS bucking together with a Tomtac into my AUG last year and am very pleased with the results. Prometheus purple buckings are popular on here .

Nowt wrong with a ZCI. Very cheap but almost as good as my prommy barrels which are almost three times the price. Standard prommy purple bucking and your laughing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally my g&g bb’s have arrived and Im glad to say I have had no jamming. Guessing I had made a rookie school boy error by using non branded bb’s.

At least i learnt how to strip my gun in the process, so it’s not all bad :)

Thanks to everyone who had an input into resolving this issue for me

Dread

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

I'd love an MP5 but none on the market do what I want yet.

Which is....?

50 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Which is....?

Active bolt lock, Recoil and selectable 3rnd burst (in an AEG before you suggest gas). I know you could do the 3rnd burst with a mosfet but its not really the same as having the lower receiver stamped and actually having that option on the fire selector.

Like majority of the community I'm waiting with baited breath for TM to release one but I doubt they will... Only other option I've seen that has it is the TW5 but not 100% the bolt lock function works on that like the other systema rifles.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, clumpyedge said:

Active bolt lock, Recoil and selectable 3rnd burst (in an AEG before you suggest gas). I know you could do the 3rnd burst with a mosfet but its not really the same as having the lower receiver stamped and actually having that option on the fire selector.

Like majority of the community I'm waiting with baited breath for TM to release one but I doubt they will... Only other option I've seen that has it is the TW5 but not 100% the bolt lock function works on that like the other systema rifles.

I did hear a rumour about the TM NGRS MP5. Colour me intrigued!

I'd just like a decent MP5 with a SEF lower that isn't a bag of shite!

2 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I did hear a rumour about the TM NGRS MP5. Colour me intrigued!

I'd just like a decent MP5 with a SEF lower that isn't a bag of shite!

Not sure if they will or not mate as the rumour seems to go about every year since they started the recoil platform. Lets face it they only just realised they needed to do a support weapon 🤷‍♂️

The TW5 option is a very very enticing offer for me because of the RS parts I can have fitted with near to no issues, however as always cost is a factor.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Not sure if they will or not mate as the rumour seems to go about every year since they started the recoil platform. Lets face it they only just realised they needed to do a support weapon 🤷‍♂️

The TW5 option is a very very enticing offer for me because of the RS parts I can have fitted with near to no issues, however as always cost is a factor.

So what's the issue with the bolt lock? I know very little about PTWs to be fair.

But yes, nice but very spendy!

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

So what's the issue with the bolt lock? I know very little about PTWs to be fair.

But yes, nice but very spendy!

From what I'm led to believe the TW5 doesn't have one which is the main draw for me to my guns currently. Like I say I'm not 100% they don't have it but from what I've been told they don't.

I guess its just a nice to have but for me its the realism.

• Supporters
Just now, clumpyedge said:

From what I'm led to believe the TW5 doesn't have one which is the main draw for me to my guns currently. Like I say I'm not 100% they don't have it but from what I've been told they don't.

I guess its just a nice to have but for me its the realism.

But a real MP5 doesn't have a bolt lock/hold open either, you have to manually cycle it. In that case it's sticking with the realism of the firearm surely?

Archived