Lipo fail

ProPain87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Lipo failure?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a lipo fail

• Yes
    • No

With all the stories and scare mongering with lipo batterys I was wondering how many people have actually had a lipo fail and how it failed. If you’ve had one fail please comment on how 

• Supporters

yes, but never spectacularly, have had a few die for various reasons over the years, mostly overdischarging rather than charge failures (although i have had a charger die on me and kill a life battery)

the scare mongering gets folks to respect their batteries enough to buy a proper charger and do it right, rather than connect it up to an nimh charger then wonder why it caught fire, if you use a decent balance charger and don't over current your batteries then it'll be fine.

I’ve not had one fail on me yet, I’ve seen a couple go puffed up and a few of my mates have let them go too low and then not recharge but never seen or heard of anyone of my mates had them explode or catch fire. The only stories you hear online seem to be the really bad examples so that’s why I was intrigued with the poll 

Never had one fail or puffed up. I balance charge all of mine at 2amps and put it into storage mode when I get home. I have always had a quality smart charger. 

Not in an airsoft gun, but I have had one fail in a RC helicopter. I suspect I had fitted the lipo a little too far up and that the out runner motor rubbed through the cell, cant be 100% sure as the thing went up whist in the air. Dumped it on the ground very sharpish and watched it burn. Not much of the heli left

5 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Not in an airsoft gun, but I have had one fail in a RC helicopter. I suspect I had fitted the lipo a little too far up and that the out runner motor rubbed through the cell, cant be 100% sure as the thing went up whist in the air. Dumped it on the ground very sharpish and watched it burn. Not much of the heli left

Bet you was gutted, Must have been good to see but wounding at the same time 😂

3 minutes ago, ProPain87 said:

Bet you was gutted, Must have been good to see but wounding at the same time 😂

I'm just glad no one was near it ! To be honest if you fly model helicopters you expect to be rebuilding them pretty regularly.....it's not IF you crash its WHEN 😁

It does make you respect lipo's though. I've seen guys yanking them out of guns by the balance leads , makes me cringe every time

Not in an airsoft gun. But an e-cig style lipo battery for my torch.  Charged it to comeback and find one end had gone all brown and bobbly.

Moral is dont buy the cheap pink e-cig style batteries that come with a charger off amazon.

I also heard horror stories about airsoft batteries... so i charge em inside a battery bag inside an ammo crate

• Supporters

Over the past few yrs had a couple puff up (mainly the first ones I bought) nothing dramatic BUT I have seen one kill an AEG , guy runs across a bridge , looses his footing , plants the barrel of his M14 into the ground and the butt end into his stomach and pole vaults on it ! As he’s flying through the air the gun makes a horrendous snapping/crunching noise then as he roles across the ground it starts making electrical shorting and sparking noises and smoke starts billowing out of it and in a fiery melting pile of crap so died his mth old TM M14 ! 😭 

30 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Not in an airsoft gun. But an e-cig style lipo battery for my torch.  Charged it to comeback and find one end had gone all brown and bobbly.

Moral is dont buy the cheap pink e-cig style batteries that come with a charger off amazon.

I also heard horror stories about airsoft batteries... so i charge em inside a battery bag inside an ammo crate

My brother has had two cheap e cigs go wrong when charging, one exploded while he was driving along a dual carriageway, hit and cracked the window screen and made a mess of his dash and the other caught fire while charging and set fire to the carpet underneath. He was lucky both incidents didn’t end a lot worse! These were with the cheap ecig pens that you can buy at your local corner shops.

14 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Over the past few yrs had a couple puff up (mainly the first ones I bought) nothing dramatic BUT I have seen one kill an AEG , guy runs across a bridge , looses his footing , plants the barrel of his M14 into the ground and the butt end into his stomach and pole vaults on it ! As he’s flying through the air the gun makes a horrendous snapping/crunching noise then as he roles across the ground it starts making electrical shorting and sparking noises and smoke starts billowing out of it and in a fiery melting pile of crap so died his mth old TM M14 ! 😭 

Some might say he killed the m14 before the lipo did, I think i would have cried 😂😂

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, ProPain87 said:

My brother has had two cheap e cigs go wrong when charging, one exploded while he was driving along a dual carriageway, hit and cracked the window screen and made a mess of his dash and the other caught fire while charging and set fire to the carpet underneath. He was lucky both incidents didn’t end a lot worse! These were with the cheap ecig pens that you can buy at your local corner shops.

Some might say he killed the m14 before the lipo did, I think i would have cried 😂😂

Well yea the gun was bollox’ed before the battery went tits up BUT the original question was have you had a lipo fail , correct ? And it did quite spectacularly!

Discharged one intentionally (let's just say it was for science rather than pure boredom), connected it to a pretty power hungry light bulb.

Good tiny fireworks show indeed xD

Was an old battery anyway, although her sister has served me until late autumn as a drum mag's power source and is still in great shape after 8 years :D

Yes several.

But not fail as in explode or set on fire.

All of the ones that have failed on me have started to discharge much faster than I wanted, It happens once they have been charged a couple of hundred times.

I've also had one refuse to charge on a decent charger because it was discharged below a safe level. A decent charger, and be willing to write off the battery in that instance was the safe route.

No, but I’ve only been pew-pewing for about 9 months. 

What i I did do, is read up on the subject, searched this forum and made a sensible decision. Two things I knew I wanted to do when I got my own RIF was run a LiPo via Deans, because it just makes sense.

Bought a decent charger, and a quality battery, and honestly I struggle to see how, unless I mistreat it, it’ll ever fail outside of the normal degradation expected from any battery. 

Most of the horror stories are akin to people stabbing smart phones with a knife and then acting surprised when it sets on fire. 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Nodnol said:

Most of the horror stories are akin to people stabbing smart phones with a knife and then acting surprised when it sets on fire. 

i did that once, with an old phone battery, then chucked it on a fire.

nothing happened, i was dissappointed.

one thing i will say is there's nothing more foul smelling than lipo smoke, used to section sensors with batteries in them (as in literally cut them in half with a saw) and man did that shit stink.

I guess it depends on how quickly you discharge them. If it's a slow process they only swell up.

On the other hand, if it's fast enough...

Never had a problem with any of my airsoft ones but I did as others have done and read up on them first, bought a decent charger (Imax B6) and then on ever buy from reputable sources/brands (Component Shop/Vapex etc).

Bought a second hand Phantom 1 on eBay for a bargain price, came with 4 batteries including the original DJI one and another that was brand new - three of them were bulging, including the DJI, so they were all binned straightaway and I just bought a couple more instead.  Not worth taking this risk of having a potential ball of flame falling from the sky!!  Then again, the Phantom 1 batteries are standard LiPos, not the newer smart batteries so they weren't ludicrously priced.

Archived