What has changed?

sevizy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After having a discussion with a friend about how airsofting has changed since we first started (Ive been playing the sport since mid 2010) I just wondered if anyone else had noticed any changes since they started playing?

I personally think the sport has become less honorable, im willing to bet in the last 2 years I have seen more arguments, hissy fits and dangerous players then the previous years combined. On a positive note I think releases from G&G + Specna (Just to name a couple) have levelled the playing field a bit in terms of performance and the difference between the higher and lower ends of the market performance wise arent as a big as they used to be. 

20 minutes ago, sevizy said:

After having a discussion with a friend about how airsofting has changed since we first started (Ive been playing the sport since mid 2010) I just wondered if anyone else had noticed any changes since they started playing?

I personally think the sport has become less honorable, im willing to bet in the last 2 years I have seen more arguments, hissy fits and dangerous players then the previous years combined. On a positive note I think releases from G&G + Specna (Just to name a couple) have levelled the playing field a bit in terms of performance and the difference between the higher and lower ends of the market performance wise arent as a big as they used to be. 

i've been playing since 2000 this exact thing is stated by some one every few years on the whole no. I marshal more than i play these days and the perception of there being more cheats is infintly greater than the number of actual cheats ( i get sick to death of hearing "i must have hit them") there are always people who should never step on a field due to their attitude but considering the increase in players still far and few between.

A lot has changed.

Guns: a lot more electronic components inside, tracers, trigger boards, mosfets, all available at decent prices. You can get some absolute performers for dirt cheap. 10 years ago you needed to rob a bank to get a good gun.

Human factor: people are easily pissed off these days, mainly because YouTube (imo). All those "duhh chitur xposd/klikb8 titel" videos only made the problem worse.

I mean, 10 years ago cheaters were dealt with in much better ways. Now they feel entitled to cheat just to get subs on yt/ig..

Also all the cod kids now are old enough to buy rifs :P

Since I started in 2005/6:

MTP and MultiCam have taken over safezones, and DPM/Flecktarn now not seen a lot anymore (no pun intended).

eBay has made finding gems from abroad easier...but therefore less exclusive.

G&G saw off the ACM invasion.

Classic Army are hardly seen anymore.

Warrior Assault Systems are making real world kit at Asian clone prices (see proliferation of MultiCam).

• Supporters

This question has already been done recently .

General consensus was apart from the kit , F**k all has changed . 

Started late 90's quit in '06 and came back recently, there is VASTLY more choice in AEG's now (and much cheaper, i remember  i paid £330 for a TM G3-SG1 which must be close to £600 in todays money!!) , and paradoxicly less choice in GBB's.

I think most of all the base level of quality and performance at an entry level price has massively increased. Think about what you got for £100-150 when you started to what that gets you know. The performance ceiling has kinda been hit in terms of range and accuracy, after all there's only so far you can make a small plastic ball go. The cost and performance of electronic triggers has also become far more reliable, practical and accessable

• Supporters
14 hours ago, BigStew said:

the perception of there being more cheats is infintly greater

Whenever YouTube suggest a video along the lines of "Airsoft CHEATER caught on CAMERA", I now flag it as misleading/spam content.  These clickbait prats are pissing in the punch bowl from which we all drink.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Whenever YouTube suggest a video along the lines of "Airsoft CHEATER caught on CAMERA", I now flag it as misleading/spam content.  These clickbait prats are pissing in the punch bowl from which we all drink.

to true seen far too much go pro footage of a blur 30 meters way being accused of cheating.

22 hours ago, Skara said:

I mean, 10 years ago cheaters were dealt with in much better ways. Now they feel entitled to cheat just to get subs on yt/ig..

Also all the cod kids now are old enough to buy rifs :P

I find this quite a funny statement, as I was a "COD kid" and I'm now 30. Our university air soft team poster was the COD4 MW poster... Time plays tricks on us all. 😉

Changes: For me the biggest shift from 2008 when I started was from realistic guns of your TM/CA/ICS, (+their direct clones in JG and CYMA) to "sort of kinda" faux guns that ARES and G&G produce these days, following on the collapse of the original Magpul PTS and things like the glock crack down. Which makes sense, because who wants to pay for license agreements?

What interesting coming out of the last two shot shows is a return to license agreements, so I'm personally quite happy to see shift back. All for the right price of course.

Having battery's that don't die in the cold is also pretty great, though balanced off with that they occasional explode now! 😀

Range improvements, as understanding of HOP tech as allowed for flat nubs, Bridge Nubs, R-Hops and TDC hop arms. 

Otherwise, I'm still rocking my second hand 2008 JG G36c, but it's down to about 8 original parts at this point in time. 

Archived