Taping loose aeg magazines

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The high cap mag for my G&G M4 is loose in the mag well. The midcaps are almost a perfect fit.

I bought some 25mm wide insulation tape and fitted it and now there is very little play. The mag needs a good push to go in but comes out easily. It only took one wrap of tape to make a huge difference.

However I stuck the tape high on the mag. It extends downwards from only a few mm below the top of the mag. I did cut it around the rectangular tab that seems to be the means by which the mag is held in by spring pressure. 

However I notice that most taped mags I see have the tape lower and nearer to the bottom of the mag wel - about a quarter of the way down. Have I put it too high? Should I have placed it to grip the lower part of the magwell?

Is it actually the lower part of the magwell that causes the looseness or the top?  Should I retape it?

Thank you.

• Supporters

I've always found that a small strip of self adhesive Velcro strip works great for sloppy magwell, easier than taping your mags, but make sure you use the "fluffy" tape, not its much harder loop part counterpart.

all you need to do is establish in which direction your mags are moving away from "true", in order to know where to place tape.

What I’ve done in the past is put a strip of tape on the inside of the magwell on the front or back, but if you’re using a mix of mags, taping the mags themselves might be the best way for you. 

Best thing to do is experiment with tape on the top lip of the mag, but not all the way around. Try the front half and then the rear. 

Archived