is there anything wrong with HiCaps?

HarryBaker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

So I've recently purchased a new Krytac LVOA-S and had a comment from a friend that has put some doubt in my mind regarding Hi Cap magazines.

I currently use Nuprol N-Mag Hi Caps and was planning on using them with the LVOA-S until a friend mentioned it'd be better to get some good quality mid caps.

There are 2 questions I really have here as I always though it was just down to personal preference:

1. Is there any draw backs to using Hi-Caps over Mid-Caps in higher end weapons?

2. Is there such thing as a poor quality Hi Cap and good quality Hi Cap? By this I mean in terms of internals. Nuprol is Polymer and the Krytac ones are metal, are there any differences internally though?

Advice highly appreciated as always 🙂

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, HarryBaker said:

Hey all,

So I've recently purchased a new Krytac LVOA-S and had a comment from a friend that has put some doubt in my mind regarding Hi Cap magazines.

I currently use Nuprol N-Mag Hi Caps and was planning on using them with the LVOA-S until a friend mentioned it'd be better to get some good quality mid caps.

There are 2 questions I really have here as I always though it was just down to personal preference:

1. Is there any draw backs to using Hi-Caps over Mid-Caps in higher end weapons?

2. Is there such thing as a poor quality Hi Cap and good quality Hi Cap? By this I mean in terms of internals. Nuprol is Polymer and the Krytac ones are metal, are there any differences internally though?

1) No, people use midcaps for a bit more realism OR to save themselves from winding the hi caps. They also don’t sound like maracas. My brother uses hi caps in this TM because he can’t shoot for shite. 

2) Yes, much like every aspect of life, take cars, you have German Engineering where everything is out of this world, and then you have your big standard basic cars that work, but aren’t exactly reliable(there’s always an exception)

However, in Airsoft, most parts are made in 2-3 factories in China, so most bits are just rebrands from another company.

If your mags work, keep using them. If you search the forum as well, you will find a list of mags known to feed in Krytacs. 

Search “Krytac Mag compatibility”

57 minutes ago, Prisce said:

1) No, people use midcaps for a bit more realism OR to save themselves from winding the hi caps. They also don’t sound like maracas. My brother uses hi caps in this TM because he can’t shoot for shite. 

2) Yes, much like every aspect of life, take cars, you have German Engineering where everything is out of this world, and then you have your big standard basic cars that work, but aren’t exactly reliable(there’s always an exception)

However, in Airsoft, most parts are made in 2-3 factories in China, so most bits are just rebrands from another company.

If your mags work, keep using them. If you search the forum as well, you will find a list of mags known to feed in Krytacs. 

Search “Krytac Mag compatibility”

Awesome! Thanks for that buddy!

• Supporters

hicaps aren't really a problem per-say unless you're getting into high rate of fire builds (40rps+) where they can struggle to keep up. they certainly aren't any more likely to damage a gun than any other type.

really it's the endless winding, rattling, and annoyance they pose, with midcaps you slap it in and pew till it's out, no winding no fuss.

grab yourself some nice midcaps and an odin innovations speedloader and enjoy!

If you run around with Hi caps it sounds like you have 20 rainmakers strapped to your back. Mid caps don't.

You have to wind hi caps, mid caps you don't. You can't use the around last 20 bbs in a hi cap, mid caps you can use all. High caps feed is less consistent than mid caps. There are less moving parts in mid caps so it is usually found that they last longer. Changing mags is a thing you do with mid caps. Changing mags is cool. 👍😂

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, RENTALS USE HIGH CAPS.

don't be a rental. 😂👍😭

61nIufNSzTL._SY355_.jpg

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I think one problem is that people (incorrectly) look down on hicap users as being newbies or inexperienced.

(As evidenced by Adox' post above)

With the seasoned 'softers having "Graduated" to mid caps 

I use hicaps myself a lot.

Saves reloading. The mags themselves are spare ammo, so no need for a dedicated speedloader. And I'm not too fussed on making noise.

10 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

I think one problem is that people (incorrectly) look down on hicap users as being newbies or inexperienced.

Saves reloading. The mags themselves are spare ammo, so no need for a dedicated speedloader. And I'm not too fussed on making noise.

Yeah I got a similar approach to this. Although I've only been playing Airsoft for about 5-6 months, I can't be arsed with reloading constantly. Also I've only recently bought 6 hi caps so maybe as they break I will transition over. maybe... :P

Its the rattling that does my tits in.  I am quite a quiet player and love sneaky runs behind enemy lines so to have something rattling constantly bugs me.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, adox said:

If you run around with Hi caps it sounds like you have 20 rainmakers strapped to your back. Mid caps don't.

You have to wind hi caps, mid caps you don't. You can't use the around last 20 bbs in a hi cap, mid caps you can use all. High caps feed is less consistent than mid caps. There are less moving parts in mid caps so it is usually found that they last longer. Changing mags is a thing you do with mid caps. Changing mags is cool. 👍😂

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, RENTALS USE HIGH CAPS.

don't be a rental. 😂👍😭

61nIufNSzTL._SY355_.jpg

Better to be a rental than be dumb enough to buy a nuprol delta

Meh, I prefer hi caps as I dont want 6 mags strapped to me and a flappy dump pouch full of empty mids (theres a comment to make there but I am tired)

I dont really care for the realism, tactical mag changes, rattling around or even if I look like a rental. I find running around with everything I need on a couple of pouches on my belt much easier than carrying all sorts of needless gear. regarding the rattling its not that bad. I managed to get the jump on most of the opposition creeping about at the mall using high caps so the sound is not THAT bad, yeah you rattle when you run, but none of us are ninjas, hell with all the gear most players wear there are various rattles and sounds coming from them too!

I find playing much more fun and easier with less gear strapped to me, including the number of mags. Reloading is a pain in the ass, especially in the middle of a firefight. You dont often get this issue with High Caps.

Play with what you want, how you want. I have held my own on game days with a 230 fps combat machine with no sights or stock and a high cap before ;) 

14 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Meh, I prefer hi caps as I dont want 6 mags strapped to me and a flappy dump pouch full of empty mids (theres a comment to make there but I am tired)

I dont really care for the realism, tactical mag changes, rattling around or even if I look like a rental. I find running around with everything I need on a couple of pouches on my belt much easier than carrying all sorts of needless gear. regarding the rattling its not that bad. I managed to get the jump on most of the opposition creeping about at the mall using high caps so the sound is not THAT bad, yeah you rattle when you run, but none of us are ninjas, hell with all the gear most players wear there are various rattles and sounds coming from them too!

I find playing much more fun and easier with less gear strapped to me, including the number of mags. Reloading is a pain in the ass, especially in the middle of a firefight. You dont often get this issue with High Caps.

Play with what you want, how you want. I have held my own on game days with a 230 fps combat machine with no sights or stock and a high cap before ;) 

Yeah planning on not letting the trends/opinions of others differ what gear I choose to use unless there is technical reasons behind it. From what's been said already it is all down to preference and no mechanical difference so all good for now 🙂

1 play how you want to play.

2 there are varying quality of mags

3 some guns feed from all mags and some are very particular. Tolerance in build aren't always that great.

7 hours ago, L3wisD said:

I always keep a high cap mag in a utility pouch, however, it is always completely full so does not make any noise. I use it as a last resort. I simply prefer mid caps. They are just so tactacool

5 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Better to be a rental than be dumb enough to buy a nuprol delta

careful matey😂, I thought it was rather clear that the comment was intended as a joke...hence to gigantic picture of a rainmaker.👍👍-sorry if anyone thought I was being serious and got triggered.

...still prefer mid caps though 😂😭

8 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

It's you that needs to be careful, only so many trigger pulls left in that gun.

Only bonus on the Nuprol range is that combat machines are finally classed as an upgrade 😉

The gun was bought for me as a gift. The guys at combat uk suggested it to my father so here I am. The range and accuracy is great and I have heard about the microswitch triggers but have not had a problem with it yet. If I do, I'll just get it fixed.

20 hours ago, HarryBaker said:

Hey all,

You needn't worry about using Nuprol N-Mag's with your LVOA-S, I used those mags with my own LVOA-s and had no issues whatsoever with feeding etc. 

They performed faultlessly and for the money you can't go wrong. 

The only reason I'm selling mine is because I'm a tart and have bought a set of tan PTS EPM mags to go with my tan 416A5... 😂

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, adox said:

The gun was bought for me as a gift. The guys at combat uk suggested it to my father so here I am. The range and accuracy is great and I have heard about the microswitch triggers but have not had a problem with it yet. If I do, I'll just get it fixed.

Do you know the reason they sold him that over any other gun? It’s not because it’s a good starter gun, it’s because they have a huge mark up on them from the supplier.

I know this because when we first started they recommended the ASG M15 to us for exactly the same reason.

For reference, a team mate of mine started with the Nuprol defender, first game it stripped a piston, sent it back for repair, second game the trigger mech went pop, back for repair, third game it locked up within 10 shots. Purchased from the same shop as you.

So yourself a favour at some point, try a G&G CM16 and see the difference in performance between yours and that, and then look at the price difference. 

The reason its highly recommended is it’s been tried and tested, known to be reliable, and bloody good performance for a cheap gun.

2 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Do you know the reason they sold him that over any other gun? It’s not because it’s a good starter gun, it’s because they have a huge mark up on them from the supplier.

I know this because when we first started they recommended the ASG M15 to us for exactly the same reason.

For reference, a team mate of mine started with the Nuprol defender, first game it stripped a piston, sent it back for repair, second game the trigger mech went pop, back for repair, third game it locked up within 10 shots. Purchased from the same shop as you.

So yourself a favour at some point, try a G&G CM16 and see the difference in performance between yours and that, and then look at the price difference. 

The reason its highly recommended is it’s been tried and tested, known to be reliable, and bloody good performance for a cheap gun.

I'll be hounest the one I have is miles better than the classic nuprol defender we all know and hate. It has been working fine now for over a year now and still am pleased with it. I am looking to grab a combat raider however, I want to pick one up so that I can upgrade it myself and make it a bit more of a statement (personal) gun. Thoughts?👍

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, adox said:

I'll be hounest the one I have is miles better than the classic nuprol defender we all know and hate. It has been working fine now for over a year now and still am pleased with it. I am looking to grab a combat raider however, I want to pick one up so that I can upgrade it myself and make it a bit more of a statement (personal) gun. Thoughts?👍

Sounds like a good idea. I still have 2 raiders for when friends or newbies want to try the sport. They can be used and abused and they never batter an eyelid. 

There are two trains of thought, if you buy a raider and spend hundreds on it. It’s still a raider you won’t get much back for it. But, it’s cheap and easy to work on so in my eyes an ideal starter weapon for every aspect In Airsoft.

High caps don't rattle THAT much unless you jump around. Drums are a different story though, once you burn through 1/4th of the capacity every little movement makes you sound like a rattlesnake on coke.

It comes down to preference, I use both midcaps and high caps/drums, for different purposes.

Also judging someone by the mags he uses is plain retarded ;)

Btw, learn to walk before thinking about bbs rattling cuz most airsofters seem spastic when moving through vegetation :P

I bought a Krytac used for my first pew pew, & it came with a high cap and I didn't know any better...…...

I have since bought another 4 high caps and they pretty much last me a whole days play

(the sites I play at can have you out for 3/4 games without returning to the base camp to ammo up)

I notice no real noise from them , sure I understand the mechanical differences between the mid & high caps , and that a high cap can be noisier if your are jumping around etc as it gets emptier

The only thing I should have bought is the cord type wind up not the wheel type as they appear quicker

I aint built for jumping and having been brought up around real shooters and hunting when I was just a child , so kinda know how to carry a gun and not make too much noise when going across ground.

Plus as somebody above said , chainging mags is a pain in the ass , it only looks cool 😉 

Archived