Sniper Rifle for plinking

Click_Dublin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Lads,

New to the site, had a good look around and there's some really knowledgable airsofters here.

I don't skirmish and I have a 1J limit (328fps MAX output) where I live. 

I'm not new to using airsoft guns & have been using them for target practice at various ranges over the last 6 years.

Thinking of getting a new T.M. VSR10 GSPEC.

So, my question is this, I've been looking at the for sale section on this site & there's some really nice, upgraded snipers for sale but they're all pushing towards 500fps. Can you just 'downspec' an upgraded rifle like this with a spring change? or will this just ruin the guns performance & you would be better off with a standard out of the box T.M. VSR10?

Due to the 328fps limit, I'm looking more for accuracy than max distance, most of the targets I shoot are 60-140 feet away.

So, get a new T.M. VSR10 GSPEC or purchase a used upgraded sniper and 'downspec' to 328fps?

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance

Hi

It would depend on the upgrades, e.g. a rifle capable of 500fps is likely to have a harder bucking than you would want.

And you might not benefit as much from the other upgrades, as there is only so much performance you can squeeze out of the lower fps, so you are paying extra for things you don't need.

I have seen some near stock used ones on the forum from time to time.

You'll also need to consider it will probably be illegal to ship a 500fps rifle to you, unless you find someone willing to downgrade their rifle before shipping, or more likely illegal for you to import it, but I'm not sure of the exact laws there.

Have you tried sourcing a used one locally? Though I'm guessing most won't bother with a sniper if it's got the same fps limit as an AEG.

Cheers

G

Hi G,

Thanks for the reply.

The comments you make about lowering the FPS are fair enough, it's sort of what I was thinking but I just wanted to check with more knowledgable airsofters than me!!!

Good point about shipping a sniper up to 500fps, don't want to get arrested!!

I'll keep an eye out in the for sale section, looks like I need a standard T.M. VSR10 with improvements to air sealing but no major changes to FPS output

• Supporters

Are you happy doing the work yourself? 

Youll be suprised at what you need to do to a stock VSR to get it to where you want it. It’s not a lot. 

Yes, you could swap the spring for a weaker one. If need be, you may also need to clip the spring to tune it precisely to what you need.

A stock one fire's at around 280fps. You may want to upgrade the hop to stop it hooking as the stock hop tends to do that. If need be a new barrel may help accuracy too. If as you said you like serious target shooting then a 3rd party trigger unit would make for a nicer fully adjustable trigger. Most people swap the trigger unit out for handling a strong spring but in your case it would make a better target rifle in general. Same for the bolt, TM have made them hard to swap out the spring without some surgery so you may want to buy a 3rd party one of them too which will also make a smoother pull etc. Then there's buckings and nubs....

Catch 22, you could spend more building it or get a prebuilt bargain off the Classies.

I prefer knowing a rifs history and wearing them in to how I've treated them so I opt for new personally.

They're simple rifles and there's plenty of parts out there. They can come and go out of stock quickly though... 👍

EDIT: Go for a soft bucking due to low power and climate. Modify Tan for example or a firefly.

Get the stock one, it is a superb gun for the fps (you're not alone, here in Italy we have a 1J limit too) and replace parts as you get to know it :)

Get some heavy BBs (.30 upwards) and swap the bucking for something softer if you want to upgrade it straight away.

Other than that I'd leave it as it is, no need to replace anything apart from components failing (which is rather hard as TM guns have some magical pixie dust which flies away once you open them)

A brand new g spec is £185 at the moment which would do everything you need it to and have a warranty.

Open it up, do the usual Ptfe stuff to get some consistency and you're laughing.

I've just bought my second g spec and about to do all the usual mods BUT only use an m110 spring so it stays what im calling AEG legal.

4 hours ago, Skara said:

Get the stock one, it is a superb gun for the fps (you're not alone, here in Italy we have a 1J limit too) and replace parts as you get to know it :)

Get some heavy BBs (.30 upwards) and swap the bucking for something softer if you want to upgrade it straight away.

Other than that I'd leave it as it is, no need to replace anything apart from components failing (which is rather hard as TM guns have some magical pixie dust which flies away once you open them)

Good advice, I'm leaning in this direction as my needs are quite minimal, I've heard about this T.M. Pixie Dust . . . . . . So who sells this dust, are there different grades of dust 😂 Can you get 'upgraded' dust🙄

2 hours ago, Steveocee said:

A brand new g spec is £185 at the moment which would do everything you need it to and have a warranty.

Open it up, do the usual Ptfe stuff to get some consistency and you're laughing.

I've just bought my second g spec and about to do all the usual mods BUT only use an m110 spring so it stays what im calling AEG legal.

Thanks for the advice, I need to do a bit of research on where to put the PTFE tape, I'm sure there's loads of info. on this site so I'll use the search function!

Just to be sure, is the 185 price from the lads in FireSupport? as this is a ex vat price (222 inc. vat.), just checking I haven't missed a better price somewhere else!!!

3 minutes ago, Click_Dublin said:

Perfect, thanks for the link & the PTFE hint 👍

PTFE is your best friend when it comes to spring powered rifles :D

At some point I used it to keep barrel spacers from moving inside the outer xD

Archived