What the Police are taught...

Prisce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A key point with the police handbook is that it is a general guide, there may be (and are) inconsistencies and errors.

But a police officer is not a judge, they can make the wrong decision and confiscate items, arrest or detain you etc, but that does not mean a prosecution will happen or you won’t get your items back.

On 06/02/2019 at 09:16, Rogerborg said:

Why can't the same item be both, for the purposes of different legislation?

A pedal cycle is a pedal cycle, a vehicle, and a carriage, depending on what you're being prosecuted with.

Things can and do fall into different definitions in different parts of legislation.

But with RIFs, IFs and firearms they are distinct in their definitions in the VCRA and firearms legislation.

Many airguns, blank firers etc are imitations of ‘proper firearms’ in the English definition, but under the VCRA imitations definition are not IFs nor RIFs,  and do fit to ‘firearms’ definitions.

We’ve covered those in other threads

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Tommikka said:

We’ve covered those in other threads

We certainly have, and we still have a principled disagreement on how the interpretations could be applied.

However, that's an argument for the CPS or Fiscal to make, and for a judge or jury to decide.

• Supporters

That looks like a Blackstones Book.

I should point out that during the 6 months of training at Hendon, not one subject covered firearms, we did tonnes on the different Sections of the Theft Act 1968 but never did we once touch on the subject of firearms.

It was only a year out of Hendon (so after 18months service) did i go back for my 2 out of 3 continuation training courses that we did anything on firearms, even then it was one afternoon about the subject.

Funniest part was at that time (around early 2011) I was part of the Air Training Corps as a member of staff at my local squadron (12F Walthamstow and Leyton) and was one of the shooting leads on the squadron.

I ended up teaching that section to the rest of the class as even the person leading the course (a Sergeant) knew little to nothing about firearms, types of firearms, the difference between rifled, smooth bore, bolt action, semi automatic, burst fire etc.

Getting into airsoft afterwards has led me to reading up about the different sections of firearms laws especially centred around Airsoft. So as luck would have it when one day i call came out to some kid using his Airsoft gun in his back yard came out i took it, it was his lucky day in that of all the officers to turn up to him it was me and i was able to significantly down play the whole thing so his guns didnt get seized. He wasn't breaking any laws, kept BBs well in his garden, had a decent backstop to prevent ricochets and i was very confident his guns were under FPS limits as all he was doing was chronoing.

Most people don't realise but most officers only ever have a working knowledge of most laws, the nitty gritty not so much so often it boils down to common sense approach.

It much the same way that people say their "House got robbed", this is a laymans terms of understanding. In the nitty gritty no house can ever be robbed. Period!

Archived