Ak's choking

millermonsterNI
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi I do most of my work on my AEG's myself but a friend has come to me with 2 different branded ak's with choking problems I have changed hop up rubber on both and tried different brand of bbs and weighs as well. After 3-4 mags it keeps choking. Any ideas? Would hop up unit make a difference or changing to flat hop?

Cheers

44 minutes ago, millermonsterNI said:

Hi I do most of my work on my AEG's myself but a friend has come to me with 2 different branded ak's with choking problems I have changed hop up rubber on both and tried different brand of bbs and weighs as well. After 3-4 mags it keeps choking. Any ideas? Would hop up unit make a difference or changing to flat hop?

How do you mean Choking.

BB's getting stuck in the barrel, or BB's failing to feed.

If it's BB's in the barrel chances are the barrel is defective. If it's a tight bore with a coating it'll want a barrel change, If it's been crowned badly or bent it'll want a barrel change. If it's been shooting rocks and the barrel is all chewed up and scuffed it'll want a barrel change.

If it's BB's failing to feed then there is a good chance the tappet plate has passed it's prime, or the airseal nozzle is leaking/defective.

You'll have to come back with more information if you want help, and images as well. Since it's happening with 2 guns I would put some emphasis on the BB selection as well. There is a good chance your friend has put 6.01 barrels in that are simply too tight for the BB selection presented. 

They are both stock one cyma and one king arms. I take it the barrels are not tight bore.

After shooting 1000 to 1500 bbs it seem to start catching the bbs as if you have hop up fully on making the bbs spit out or nearly fall out even if hop up is fully off. 

We have add a bit of lubricant and it fixes it. Then another couple mag same again. Have tried .2g and .25g and 2 different brands of bbs nuprol and rockets both have same problem.

Can't get pic till I get a hold of AEG's sorry.

Cheers

Lubricant in the barrel? That's probably half the issue. That alone will just cause issues that may cause more issues and so on.

You want your barrel to be like a clean mirror, no lube at all in the barrel nor the bucking/hop unit etc. Clean it and replace the bucking if need be. Get all that lube out, all of it. Then you'll know if you've damaged anything else....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok have cleaned barrel and hopup rubber and made sure no lube in mag and still no luck keeps choking and jamming bbs in hopup unit after 500 plus bbs. Should I hand it to a tech or anything simple that could do before I do this?

Cheers

tried a different mag?

also since it works fine when you put it back together and then starts to play up it could be hop creep. Take the nub out of the hop unit and test it and see if it starts to choke up with the nub removed. if it does then needs further investigation but if it feeds fine then either tighten the screw on the hop unit or replace the hop unit.

Cheers everyone but after try all I'm at a lost. Mate says going to throw it into a local tech see if they can sort it. Will let you know if he tells us how he fixed it. 

The issue with mine was the front feed lips on it was too big, causing the BB's to jam up. Changed to a maple leaf and it was fine then. I've been using ML Hop rubbers ever since.

Archived