Playing in sub zero

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Before anyone says it - I know, I know - no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing... Hence my forthcoming question...
Last night I was playing CQB and the temperature was around -3. I was playing using a pair of mechanix gloves, but it got to the point I couldn't feel my fingers and three fingers on my left hand just plain stopped moving (this happens in extreme cold cos it's a bit poorly).
So I'm after glove suggestions that will allow me to still use my kit, but will stop my fingers from solidifying.
I'm out on Sunday at Proving Grounds and I don't really want to have to keep stopping to get my fingers warmed up again.
I've got a pair of Oakley gloves that I use for outdoor games, but was thinking of adding a pair of silk or merino liner gloves.
TIA 😄 

6 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Before anyone says it - I know, I know - no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing... Hence my forthcoming question...
Last night I was playing CQB and the temperature was around -3. I was playing using a pair of mechanix gloves, but it got to the point I couldn't feel my fingers and three fingers on my left hand just plain stopped moving (this happens in extreme cold cos it's a bit poorly).
So I'm after glove suggestions that will allow me to still use my kit, but will stop my fingers from solidifying.
I'm out on Sunday at Proving Grounds and I don't really want to have to keep stopping to get my fingers warmed up again.
I've got a pair of Oakley gloves that I use for outdoor games, but was thinking of adding a pair of silk or merino liner gloves.
TIA 😄 

I just use hand warmers and stick with my normal gloves

Silk liners and you're good to go :)

I barely use mine but when I had to, they were a life saver.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
7 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I just use hand warmers and stick with my normal gloves

This. Stuff them in your glove and carry on.

These little disposable fabric-feeling ones are spot on. Last an entire days play and then you bin them.

Get them from Sainsburys, Halfords, Boots - everywhere I think.

Hot Hands Hand Warmers Twin Pack

7 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

These little disposable fabric-feeling ones are spot on. Last an entire days play and then you bin them.

I bought a job lot on ebay for £40 which lasts me generally a year or more, they are also handy for playing weekend games and sticking in your boots to help dry them out should they be overly sweaty/wet

8 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Thanks for the tip - just ordered a box 😄 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
17 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Thanks for the tip - just ordered a box 😄 

No probs.

I find shaking them like the old "Salt'n'Shake" crisps (can you still buy these? Used to love them!) helps get them kickstarted and get hotter, quicker. Same advice applies when they start cooling slightly. Take them out and shake'em.

• Supporters

I use a pair of silk liners as well , but think I may invest in some of those hot hands

cheers L3wisD 👍

• Supporters

i just pop on the thermals and the long johns and get out there as normal.

fingerless gloves too, the tip is if your core and arms are warm enough your fingers will stay warm too.

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

Nice one ordered for the stables 👍🏻

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i just pop on the thermals and the long johns and get out there as normal.

fingerless gloves too, the tip is if your core and arms are warm enough your fingers will stay warm too.

Problem I have with thermals is once I do get moving I cook ! Even in my young fit days (oh so far away now ! 😭) I still used to go off like a self basting turkey ! 

I generate a LOT of heat when I play and I'm not even one to run. So I treat it like swimming, I layer up in the downtime and strip off for a game (not literally but lose most layers to play :lol:). I wouldn't be difficult to spot in the snow as I'd look like a monkey in a hot spring.

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Immortal said:

I generate a LOT of heat when I play and I'm not even one to run. So I treat it like swimming, I layer up in the downtime and strip off for a game (not literally but lose most layers to play :lol:). I wouldn't be difficult to spot in the snow as I'd look like a monkey in a hot spring.

My game aswell bud , I try and wear a smock of somsort over a long sleeve wicking top  in game (MTP/DPM/OG/etc) then a fleece beanie and softie over the top of the smock in between games AND then strip down again freeze my arse off for 10mins then sweating like a pig in a synagogue again ! 🤣🤣🤣

You should keep your eye out when in Aldi I scored some excellent merino wool socks £4.99 for 2 pairs bloody great they are even when your feet get wet they keep them warm My wife scored for a couple of tops from them and wears them for work she swears by them,get a flask too and drink ginger tea if you can that bugger will warm you up too🖖

2 hours ago, StayOnTarget said:

You should keep your eye out when in Aldi I scored some excellent merino wool socks £4.99 for 2 pairs bloody great they are even when your feet get wet they keep them warm My wife scored for a couple of tops from them and wears them for work she swears by them,get a flask too and drink ginger tea if you can that bugger will warm you up too🖖

The range also have some good deals on thermal socks, I’ve had a few pairs from there and they are honestly better than some of the expensive branded ones

On 31/01/2019 at 09:29, L3wisD said:

Got a box full from Amazon, have a pair in my socks tonight, and I have to say they are bloody superb mate 🦄👍🏻🦄

Relax your arms at your side and raise your hands perpendicular to your body like you're pretending to be a penguin. Raise your shoulders and drop them down. Keep doing this and It'll send blood into your fingers and warm them up.

5 hours ago, Guardsman394 said:

Relax your arms at your side and raise your hands perpendicular to your body like you're pretending to be a penguin. Raise your shoulders and drop them down. Keep doing this and It'll send blood into your fingers and warm them up.

Then drop your trouser around your ankles and  walk around like that for 5 minutes....come on mate we know your game🐧

Archived