Another Ares Amoeba Striker AS-01 Review

Solly4568
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi world 

This is my first review so please go gentle 

I have had this rifle for a few months now and I think that I can finally write down my thoughts on it. 

when I first got it, it was only shooting at 295fps due to the fact that I had ordered it from some part of Asia but even without the proper FPS it was consistently hitting a man-sized target at 40m about 9/10 time, I proptly realised that I was an idiot and ordered an m145 spring. This bought the FPS up to 495FPS and I have to say that I was impressed with how easy it was to upgrade. You only have to remove one pin, pull the bolt out, undo the top of the bolt and replace the spring. Now with that FPS boost, I could consistently hit a 70m target if the wind wasn't a factor ( I only had .25 😭)

First Game Day

I rocked up on my first game day with a bolt action with no idea of what I was doing, with an unzeroed scope and without the hop up being properly set and to put it simply I could not hit the broad side of the barn and I think that I only got around 10 kills for the whole day. BUT I don't think that it was the rifles fault and more likely an incredibly incompetent owner

Second Game Day

This time I was better prepared, with a bottle of .4, a shimmed scope and after I had practised a little on my brother in the back garden (we have a big back garden) I did much better and was hitting almost every shot I fired (even when the little s**** did not call them 🤣) I had also improved the bolt pull as the bolt scraped on the interior of the gun revealing the copper colour underneath. I decided to speed up this proses by removing everything from the bolt and wet sanding off the black covering which not only gave the gun a unique look but it also improved the pull to no end.

Pros

Cheap 

A very good rifle out of the box, not the best you could get but you get what you pay for 

ridiculously easy to upgrade ( It takes AEG springs) 

Short bolt pull

Cons

I have had a few problems with this gun mainly cause by the load indicator which can prevent the rifle from firing but it is an easy fix ( all you have to do is knock out a small pin and pull out the indicator)

does not have aimbot 😮

I have now ordered a C.P.S.B bolt and an AA hop up unit. I will keep you all posted on its performance after the upgrades  

Peace out 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, had the same fps issue with my Striker as01. Out of the box it was also 280-300fps on 0.2g, so I bought the ares SP450 (bad idea!) Unfortunately this chroned at 380fps on 0.25g (do not get ares springs!) So my next spring will be a guarder m150 :)

I had also installed a Lycan Romeo 90° sear which increased the general reliability and prevents any chance of slam-firing. I was comfortably hitting players at 50-60m for the first game day!

Both of these upgrades and the rifle totalled around £160 (+£40 for a 4×32 optic) My next upgrades will be a new hop up (Action Army) and hop rubber (undecided on brand) What upgrades would you recommend?

The hop up should be a maple leaf hop rubber and while you have the rifle apart put a tight bore inner barrel in at the same time. Also if you upgrading the spring I would get a C.P.S.B bolt so that the cylinders don't explode. I got mine from here  http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Conversion_Kits_Other_ARES_Compact_Power_Spring_Bolt_for_ARES_Amoeba_STRIKER_S1_Sniper_Rifle_Upgraded_Version.htm        the shipping is fast and it's around half the price of the ones I found in the UK. Apart from that, you are pretty much set. Maybe get a thumb screw for the hop up to make it easier to adjust. 

Archived