This gun, or this gun?

hexbugspider
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The Nuprol defender is a poor choice. 

It uses a microswitch, and whilst that can be a great feature, it does it without a mosfet. You have to have a mosfet to protect the switch. Without one your little microswitch is a ticking bomb. It's not a case of if it fails, but when.

If you have a fet fitted to a nuprol then it might make the gun reasonable.

If you want something different go with specna arms.

For similar money, to the G&G you can get one of the SA-C03 CORE guns. Rotary hop, 6.03 barrel, Well thought out gearbox internals (Bearings, Full rack, Steel gears, Standard contacts), QC spring, Silver wire, and metal rail with covers.

In comparison the G&G that comes with a dial hop, 6.08 barrel, Decent gearbox with equally good internals,  Plastic Ris and no covers. Sights.

It's a close call between them but the addition of the better hop and barrel mean it has the potential to save you some pennies on future upgrades.

https://gunfire.com/en/products/rra-sa-c03-core-tm-carbine-replica-half-tan-1152223001.html

The 04 has an English description as well. The model differences in the 03 and 04 are the barrel lengths. (Both come with the grip).

https://gunfire.com/en/products/sa-c04-core-tm-carbine-replica-half-tan-1152215723.html

• Supporters

Over those two. G&g all day long.

I would consider the FireHawk to be a little different, just don’t get the HC05.

Other than that, I have been really impressed with the ICS guns as of late.

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, hexbugspider said:

Okay but my only gripe with the cm16 raider is that the front sight isn't removable/lower able. Does this mean I'll have to use sights which are much taller?

Honestly,  if your using face pro and goggles rather than glasses you will need a riser for any sight, so it’s not really a problem. 

I also think you can can remove the front sight... my CM16 doesn’t have one.

I used to have an eotech copy on mine. Used the existing sights to line it up then took the rear sight off. I don't remember the front sight bothering me much after that and I wanted the option of using the iron sights still. Depends on sight I suppose. I remember reading about people either replacing the outer barrel or cutting the front sight off so worth looking into

Yeah, what Immortal said

CYMA make some decent lower end rifles.

THIS one would be good as a starter.  Very similar to my first gun which is still going fine after 2 years.  (Not played much tho)

• Head Moderator

G&G

• Mostly Retired Moderators
3 hours ago, hexbugspider said:

Okay but my only gripe with the cm16 raider is that the front sight isn't removable/lower able. Does this mean I'll have to use sights which are much taller?

A problem which is easily fixed by getting the CM18 instead.

I recently posted about my preference of the 18 over the 16 here:

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, what Immortal said

CYMA make some decent lower end rifles.

THIS one would be good as a starter.  Very similar to my first gun which is still going fine after 2 years.  (Not that much use tho)

Looks excellent!! Love the lower price but will it suffer in comparison to my friends Nuprol pioneers?

Very hard to say.  My CYMA has nearly the highest fps of all my guns but that doesn't necessarily translate to range and accuracy.

I'm sure there's even variation between different copies of the same gun.

You could probably improve it straight away with a better bucking rubber and barrel.  Depends how confident you are with tech work.

Either get the same as theirs or take a chance with a different one.  It may be better or worse than theirs but probably not by much...

• Supporters

Cyma and nuprol have bad reputations for poor quality control.

If you want to out perform your friends. The G&G will do so, for less money. I think you can get it for £99 from either ROE Airsoft or SWAS.

16 hours ago, hexbugspider said:

get the CM16 R8-l, I have it and it comes with a sight out of the box and looks cool af (sorry first gun biased)  but really it is an amazing gun   

• Supporters
11 hours ago, hexbugspider said:

Looks excellent!! Love the lower price but will it suffer in comparison to my friends Nuprol pioneers?

In a word no , cyma have always reliable gun but past few yrs they’ve got even better .

• Supporters

Those Specna Arms RIFs look pretty interesting. Rotary hop, 6.03mm barrel and quick change springs, nice.

Also, the cheapest CYMAs do work.  They're basic, there's nothing special about them, and the plastic isn't as nice as the G&Gs, but they do shoot in the direction that you're pointing.  If you're on a very tight budget, they come with a usable nimh battery and burn-your-house-down charger.

By default though, G&G.  You have to find reasons not to get one.  Although the Specnas... 🤔

Ones about 300-310fps, This will probably be the one in the gun when you get it. The other spring might be hot at 380ish fps.

The springs don't matter so much since it's a quick change system. And you don't have to strip the gun with that model. Just remove the crane stock and buffer tube and everything is there looking at you. Springs are also cheap. An M110 340fps spring is about £5. You could also cut the hot spring down a couple of coils.

I've never had a gun two-toned so I don't know how much paint they will use, Or even what sections they will paint.

@Rogerborg I suspect there has been some brainstorming about how to take back some of the entry market off G&G. Since for a few years now, they have been the benchmark starter gun. I think specna have made some really decent decisions to try to take a slice back. If they do a budget M16 I'll be all over it, The current M16 they do is about £170... but if they do a poly body A1 with those extra features I may well have to pull the trigger.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, hexbugspider said:

Also when patrol base two tones this gun they go rather overboard

Not with mine.  They just did the stock and handguard.  The red they used was a nice deep burgundy, it actually looked fairly decent.

That feature list and the quick change spring really does make a good argument.  You could literally modify it at the chrono if you had to.

The G&Gs are the default choice for a reason, but perhaps that really has driven some competition.

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Not with mine.  They just did the stock and handguard.  The red they used was a nice deep burgundy, it actually looked fairly decent.

That feature list and the quick change spring really does make a good argument.  You could literally modify it at the chrono if you had to.

The G&Gs are the default choice for a reason, but perhaps that really has driven some competition.

What I'm saying is that would I be allowed to remove the pain from the reciever since if the handguard and stock are painted it's still over 51% of the gun painted a different colour.

8 hours ago, hexbugspider said:

What I'm saying is that would I be allowed to remove the pain from the reciever since if the handguard and stock are painted it's still over 51% of the gun painted a different colour.

Removing paint is a touchy subject and some people will tell you that it's absolutely fine  but ultimately it's a complex subject and just far easier if you don't want paint get ukara registered then buy a gun. 

As far it still being fine if over 51% is still painted you have no real way to measure this. Patrol base is one of the sites that is decent enough to show you a picture of what to expect two tone wise. They didn't go through that much hassle and paint more just because they felt like it. 

If you don't want it to be painted rent. Buy boots, eye protection, face protection, load bearing gear, plenty to look at while you wait. 

for a cheap gun to start G&G are a step above the real entry level ones but often that makes them more complicated with no included burn your house down charger and battery. Patrol base recently showed a 250 quid starter load out I'd personally spend more on eye pro/batteries/charger and run 0.25g bbs minimum but it's a budget to get everything you need for 250 so they can't do everything.  https://blog.patrolbase.co.uk/the-250-airsoft-beginner-loadout-challenge/ 

They show another one but I don't think it's really valid as they spent more than the cm16 on a bloody red dot.. https://blog.patrolbase.co.uk/the-250-challenge-dave-d/

Archived