Looking for someone who can help with 1911's/Hi-Capa's

FreeFrag.UK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title says, I'm looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of Colt 1911 variants and Hi-Capa's.

I'm looking at putting together a customised pistol for myself and would appreciate the opportunity to pick someone's brains and talk things through.

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

As the title says, I'm looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of Colt 1911 variants and Hi-Capa's.

I'm looking at putting together a customised pistol for myself and would appreciate the opportunity to pick someone's brains and talk things through.

Many thanks

Just fire away with the questions.

I wouldn't say I know the ins and outs but im putting together my own custom hicapa and, like I always do, I have done a fuck ton of research before I started so I may know the answer. If not then someone likely will chime in soon. Or at least help find the answers.

@Seven Fair enough, to be honest it was more I didn't want to gum up an entire forum thread with loads of questions and spit balling of ideas.

As it stands I'm looking to put together a suppressed pistol which uses an Acetech Tracer Unit which looks appropriate on whatever I opt for.

I've been looking at a variety of build ideas and inspiration from various sources and as a result I'm at the point where I'm reasonably certain a h-capa or 1911 will be the best platform due to parts support. Before someone suggests a Glock, I'm really not a fan of them.

Two big sources of inspiration regarding externals lie with one of the Smith & Wesson 1911's and one of the Springfield Armoury 1911-A1 TGO1 .45ACP. I'm also a big fan of personalised examples such as that used by The Joker in Suicide Squad and the Silverballers used by Agent 47 in the Hitman series of games. That's not to say that I'd want to run around with purple metallic pistol but the level of customisation is a draw to the platform.

Internally I'd like something that offers good accuracy and range which has the reliability to serve as a primary should it take my fancy.

The Hi-Capa appears to offer higher capacity magazines without having to put up with magazine sticking out from the base of the gun too much. Also the Hi-Capa seems to have better parts availability but I'm not sure how much crossover there is between the two platforms?

One issue I've seen raised regarding 1911's seems to be complaints about the size of the gas reservoir and as such I'm wondering how many full magazines you can get from a single fill.

A feature I would like available for my magazines would be to have magazine bumper pads or similar available, as accidents do happen and I like the aesthetic some of these add.

The big thing I know for certain is that I would like my base platform to a Tokyo Marui.

Hopefully the above is of use.

5 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Seven Fair enough, to be honest it was more I didn't want to gum up an entire forum thread with loads of questions and spit balling of ideas.

As it stands I'm looking to put together a suppressed pistol which uses an Acetech Tracer Unit which looks appropriate on whatever I opt for.

I've been looking at a variety of build ideas and inspiration from various sources and as a result I'm at the point where I'm reasonably certain a h-capa or 1911 will be the best platform due to parts support. Before someone suggests a Glock, I'm really not a fan of them.

Im a big 1911 fan but when I was looking for my pistol I found that the range of customisation/uprated parts was very limited.

Two big sources of inspiration regarding externals lie with one of the Smith & Wesson 1911's and one of the Springfield Armoury 1911-A1 TGO1 .45ACP. I'm also a big fan of personalised examples such as that used by The Joker in Suicide Squad and the Silverballers used by Agent 47 in the Hitman series of games. That's not to say that I'd want to run around with purple metallic pistol but the level of customisation is a draw to the platform.

As I said above, I feel ya! That SA 45 is very nice and Hitman's ballers have always been a favourite of mine. In fact the hicapa in building will look somewhat similar, very shiny silver with the black suppressor (tracer) but mine will have gold accenting.

There is absolutely no arguing that the scope for customisation for the 2011 is superior to the 1911 and more and more new stuff is coming constantly.

Internally I'd like something that offers good accuracy and range which has the reliability to serve as a primary should it take my fancy.

The Hi-Capa appears to offer higher capacity magazines without having to put up with magazine sticking out from the base of the gun too much. Also the Hi-Capa seems to have better parts availability but I'm not sure how much crossover there is between the two platforms?

For accuracy and range you won't have much problem with either pistol. A simple barrel and hop bucking swap will sort that right out but tbh Marui are lasers out the box.

I have the extended 41rnd prowin mags and they stick out the gun a good inch/inch and a half but once I get my flared magwell on there it'll be hardly noticeable and the extra length Can be nice when/if a mag gets jammed, you have that extra length to grip it and strip the mag out.

From what I've seen there are some crossover parts but they are very few. Off the top of my head I can think of the loading nozzle assembly internals and some of the slides (if you're a confident fitter).

Check out eliteshootingcentre.co.uk  or  rainbow 8 and see what parts are labelled as 1911/Hi-capa.

One issue I've seen raised regarding 1911's seems to be complaints about the size of the gas reservoir and as such I'm wondering how many full magazines you can get from a single fill.

Can't comment on the 1911 but with my 2011 I get 2, possibly 3 magazines from a single full fill using 41rnd prowin mags but slide weight and length of travel can impact that greatly.

A feature I would like available for my magazines would be to have magazine bumper pads or similar available, as accidents do happen and I like the aesthetic some of these add.

I've seen these around but not something I've looked at in any detail.

The big thing I know for certain is that I would like my base platform to a Tokyo Marui.

Hopefully the above is of use.

I chose the 2011 over the 1911 purely on the customisation options. 2011 wins that hands down from what I've seen, you can literally do anything with it.

My only disappointment is the lack of grips with removable/swappable grip plates like the 1911 has. I've looked everywhere and can't find any.

I would love to have a nice silver grip with faux bone/pearl grip plates that I could laser etched a design onto.

My current pistol, when finished, will look something similar to this...

5fc0542e0104878ff21f4cd655f86f41.thumb.jpg.65d01c07e1dd8493480e674de31b32ea.jpg

but polished to within an inch of its life for a real mirror/chrome finish. That's my CQB pistol primary. If you check out my thread titled 'Aluminium Polishing' you'll see the progress im making on the magazine's. They look great!

My next pistol will be less flashy and more tactical for an outdoor woodland sidearm. Something like this...

20190130_223005.thumb.jpg.e15f0f82af0d42131b6378764c0e24d4.jpg

@Seven I've noticed that the slides are a little hit and miss with compatibility. Admittedly part of me wonders what makes a slide only function with the hi-capa as opposed to both.

I guess I need to try and figure out which parts are and aren't available for each platform.

When it comes to the size of a hi-capa grip how does it compare to something like a CZ P09 or Sig P226? I held a Glock 17 with the largest backstrap on, and while it wasn't uncomfortable, it wasn't a configuration I'd opt for. Grip customisation on the 1911 does seem to trump the hi-capa from what I've seen so far but I could be mistaken.

I've noticed mag wells available for both models but the hi-capa definitely has more options here. I hadn't taken into consideration clearing jams to be fair but touch wood I've not experienced any. It's good to know that range and accuracy isn't an issue for either model.

The gas efficiency sounds similar to my TM P226 to be fair but obviously the mag's are comparatively smaller.

The first pistol you've provided an image of reminds me a lot of the IPSC/Race pistols which, while I can appreciate, definitely aren't my style.

The second is something I'd consider running.

One area I need to investigate further is sights. I'd like to get either tritium or fibre optic sights for whichever I go for.

38 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Seven I've noticed that the slides are a little hit and miss with compatibility. Admittedly part of me wonders what makes a slide only function with the hi-capa as opposed to both.

I guess I need to try and figure out which parts are and aren't available for each platform.

When it comes to the size of a hi-capa grip how does it compare to something like a CZ P09 or Sig P226? I held a Glock 17 with the largest backstrap on, and while it wasn't uncomfortable, it wasn't a configuration I'd opt for. Grip customisation on the 1911 does seem to trump the hi-capa from what I've seen so far but I could be mistaken.

Can't really compare to those 2 pistols you mention but compared to a 1911 grip it's a good 1cm wider but with flatter sides so it doesn't 'feel' so big.

I don't have bucket hands and it feels very comfortable for me.

Best thing to do would be asking around at a game day and ask someone with a hicapa if you can hold it and get a feel for its size. Or go to a local retailer and ask them.

I've noticed mag wells available for both models but the hi-capa definitely has more options here. I hadn't taken into consideration clearing jams to be fair but touch wood I've not experienced any. It's good to know that range and accuracy isn't an issue for either model.

Yeah, the grip was the only thing I found that trumped the capa imho. Shame really but I'll live with it.

The gas efficiency sounds similar to my TM P226 to be fair but obviously the mag's are comparatively smaller.

The first pistol you've provided an image of reminds me a lot of the IPSC/Race pistols which, while I can appreciate, definitely aren't my style.

Yeah, the compensator on that pistol gives me that feel. Mine won't have that I'll be using a tracer. Was just an illustration of the general scheme.

This is probably closer to what im aiming for... Just visualise the suppressor/tracer.IMG_0473.JPG.803e93aeb801d385c5cca88fc5734cf3.JPG

The second is something I'd consider running.

One area I need to investigate further is sights. I'd like to get either tritium or fibre optic sights for whichever I go for.

Sights you'll have no problem with either tritium or fibre.

Tritium is a bit rarer to find but I saw a place just a couple of days so with them in stock, but honestly, unless you play night games they are pretty redundant. I would stick with fibre sights with good quality rods, not just bits of plastic.

@Seven Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a hi-capa, the overwhelming majority of people I've encountered seem to run Glocks or P-09's with a smattering of random guns such as the Beretta M92. When it comes to retailer they're all too far away for me which doesn't help.

The example you've shown looks more like a 1911 to me, especially with that grip. Do you know which grip/frame it is?

Good to know when it comes to sights.

2 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Seven Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a hi-capa, the overwhelming majority of people I've encountered seem to run Glocks or P-09's with a smattering of random guns such as the Beretta M92. When it comes to retailer they're all too far away for me which doesn't help.

The example you've shown looks more like a 1911 to me, especially with that grip. Do you know which grip/frame it is?

Good to know when it comes to sights.

That's because it is a 1911. Again just for illustration purposes. I actually think it's real steel, just a picture I pulled from Google images.

Remember the 2011 is basically a 1911 with a few minor changes and a double stack mag so they, for the most part, look the same with the exception of being slightly wider on the grip to accommodate the double stack and a different grip style.

If you like the feel of a 1911 in your hand, the 2011 will be much the same with only about 1cm difference in width.

Elite shooting centre

Ehobbyasia and 

Rainbow 8 are the best I've found in terms of part availability and range.

Although elite shooting centre is mainly for hicapa there are a few 1911 compatible parts flying around.

Trying to find a threaded barrel for a TM MEU at present but it's proving to be a struggle.

I've been going through various websites looking at a parts list. To be honest at this stage I think I'm sold on the 1911/MEU as I've been unable to find certain external parts which appeal on the hi-capa.

35 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

Trying to find a threaded barrel for a TM MEU at present but it's proving to be a struggle.

I've been going through various websites looking at a parts list. To be honest at this stage I think I'm sold on the 1911/MEU as I've been unable to find certain external parts which appeal on the hi-capa.

Yup, this is a problem you're going to have alot. You'll have to spend a LOT of time trawling for parts and 9 times out of 10 you'll only get them from a HK retailer like ehobbyasia, Rainbow8 etc and their websites are not exactly conducive to making finding things easy. Then you have vat/customs to deal with.

Very much a 'suck it up, buttercup' deal.

Time, effort, money and patience pays.

Firesupport have some listed but currently out of stock.

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/nineball-marui-m1911a1-metal-outer-barrel-sas-neo-14mmccw

Same situation with eagle6. 

I would contact all the companies I could find that have them listed and ask them for an ETA on a restock. I find this is a good way to gauge how good a retailer is too, before I throw money at them. If they don't reply in a timely and professional manner or if the ETA comes around and it's still not stocked and I get a bullshit excuse then I take my money elsewhere.

As for the 2011, what parts were you looking for and couldn't find?

Archived