L85 Uprgades

Guardsman394
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay, so I have an ICS L85A2 and I love it to bits. So much so that any other rifle seems too boring so I don't think I'll be getting any more assault rifles any time soon. So what I want to do is just upgrade the hell out of this gun and make it as good as I possibly can.

My question is this: How shall I upgrade it? what should I prioritise? and how will it affect the gun?

The more detail the better. When it comes to upgrading I have no idea what brands types to go for or just what I should be doing in general.

Me want gun, me want shoot people far away, me want shoot people fast.

Thanks

Sorry I can't help with specifics but my suggested upgrade path would be:

- Firstly improved hop rubber and tight bore barrel 6.03mm (if it hasn't got one already)

- Then more powerful motor

- Then MosFet and 11.1v LiPo

Problem is its not an exact science and different combinations will work better or worse...

I'm interested what you end up doing so keep us updated... I might do it to mine.

14 minutes ago, EDcase said:

My logic would be:

Firstly improved hop rubber and tight bore barrel 6.03mm (if it hasn't got one already)

Then more powerful motor

Then MosFet and 11.1v LiPo

Problem is its not an exact science and different combinations will work better or worse...

I'm interested what you end up doing so keep us updated... I might do it to mine.

What kind of hop would you recomend? (Ie, brand and type) I've heard there are different shapes of hop that do different things. What kind of motor too? I've never looked into these so I'd have no idea where to start.

And are there different kinds of MosFets? What do they do?

As you can tell I know nothing of upgrades. XD

• Supporters

For standard hops I would recommend the G&G green hop rubber or a Purple Prommy. 

If your looking to go one step further, consider flat hopping or even R-hopping the barrel(look these up before you do, YouTube has plenty of vids explaining this.) -This upgrade will increase your Range and accuracy.

Barrel, I wouldn’t worry about yet, it doesn’t do much for the price, but if your dead set on upgrading it look at ZCI barrels from @ak2m4. His prices are brilliant, but service is second to none.

A motor upgrade could be useful, but it will depend on what you actually want to achieve with your gun.

A mosfet will allow you to protect your trigger connections from arcing, which on turn allows you to use 11.1V lipos giving you a better trigger response. There are basic plug and play ones(all you really need) and then complicated installation ones that do EVERYTHING.

I would recommend getting the box serviced and replacing any worn air seal components- this will give your gun consistency, which is 3/4 of the battle!

• Supporters

i second prisce, a g&g green that's been flathopped is a force to be reckoned with.

when it comes to barrels you can argue for tight versus widebores but tbh that's secondary to good quality

in terms of gearbox a good service and making sure things like aoe/shimming/seals are done will work wonders, if you're below your site energy limit you might want to consider upping that while you're at it (more energy is always good, although it might strain the box more)

pair that lot with some good heavy ammo (i run .3's) and you'll be laughing.

i'd start with the hop, if you like that then do the box, and if you still want more then look at barrels.

The one thing I have changed with my ICS L85 is the motor. The stock one is hilariously bad. The ROF was so bad, but the trigger response was even worse. 

I straight replaced my motor with a SLD 22tpa neo High torque (£26) trigger response is much better, ROF is slightly higher too. 

Its the weakest link in my opinion. 

Archived