Helmet Thread

Gepard
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Did some digging and I didn't see any lid threads (or if there is one I couldn't find it!) so I'm curious for those that run helmets how you have set them up?

I've got fair few helmets but here's what I'm currently running:

2019-01-29_00_35_08.thumb.jpg.3cfadd2ea9496bf9aa1c30b6be32e823.jpg

The base is a TMC Airframe with Multicam cover. Got some nice padding in there which combined with the headset I've got attached on arc rails makes it a really comfortable build. Haven't bothered with anything else - prefer to keep it as clean as possible and only attach stuff I'm going to use. 

I only do CQB at the moment so this is my CQB helmet below.

Just a FAST helmet with a DIY paint job with my face mask attaching to the clips above the ears (dunno what they are called)... Like a fighter pilot oxygen mask. Nothing fancy.20180703_225754.thumb.jpg.fddbc1ca01847793981053cae281a729.jpg20180703_225827.thumb.jpg.52306fa49605f49d30eeb54a2a702f0e.jpg

I've got an airframe (think it's a limitless?) with various covers and with a pair of Earmor's fitted.

I tried various other helmets but couldn't find one for my big noggin. I'd like to pick up a Mk6 or Mk7 (if the latter is above board for private ownership now).

I spotted the PTS one at Shot Show which quite takes my fancy too.

I am still struggling to find a helmet that would fit my 62cm bonce comfortably. Needs to be particularly lightweight and relatively inexpensive. Any ideas?

@Stodgy I can't say I have. To be honest I don't know which helmets they used so wouldn't know what to look for.

@Asomodai I'll get you the details for mine tonight. It wasn't particularly cheap but it does the job and it fits me perfectly. I measure in at 62.5cm - 63cm. Can't recall the exact measurement.

2 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I am still struggling to find a helmet that would fit my 62cm bonce comfortably. Needs to be particularly lightweight and relatively inexpensive. Any ideas?

FMA airframe (or any helmet you like), remove padding, line with appropriate thickness neoprene...job done. The padding slupplied with most repro helmets is shit and way to thick.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

FMA airframe (or any helmet you like), remove padding, line with appropriate thickness neoprene...job done. The padding slupplied with most repro helmets is shit and way to thick.

Yeah there's a lot of space in these AirFrame helmets. Foam padding is like an inch thick on either side. Perfect for my 'noggin but I reckon it would fit just about anyone if you removed it. 

3 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Yeah there's a lot of space in these AirFrame helmets. Foam padding is like an inch thick on either side. Perfect for my 'noggin but I reckon it would fit just about anyone if you removed it. 

My head is about 61cm so on the larger size, I bought the FMA airframe and cut the pads in half before I stuck some TW pads and harness on it.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

My head is about 61cm so on the larger size, I bought the FMA airframe and cut the pads in half before I stuck some TW pads and harness on it.

tag, your it 😝

Big head.png

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Fuck' sake 🤣

Do you know how annoying it is trying to find something to fit my noggin'

have you tried emailing Rick Moranis, he might still have it ? 😜

Helmets for big heads - Bicycles Stack Exchange.jpg

After banging my head off a girder and a hospital trip, bit the bullet and ordered the Airframe V2 from JC Airsoft. Good quality product and friendly comms. Arrived from China. You may also want to Google Dragon Red. I've a 62cm bonce and have to take out a bit of the padding (memory foam) but boy is it comfortable! I can't find a decent-fitting FAST-style helmet - but have bought the MICH 2000 style and strip out some of the padding. I would recommend the fibreglass version rather than ABS as they feel that bit more substantial. Cost about £40 on EvilBay.

After my mishap, any site with buildings and / or concrete - helmet is on!

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 2.42.33 PM.jpeg

Appologies for the poor photo - late night selfie :lol:

FMA Maritime Helmet (fits a large head)

PAGST memory foam pads

Oakley Shocktube Glasses

Tailored Tigris style mask (with added Flecktarn camo scrim disruption and all padding removed - less heat)

Z-Tactical Liberator II headset (retrofitted into helmet)

Strobe Torch (with Flecktarn camo tape)

GoPro Hero 5 Session (with cheap underwater housing for protection & Flecktarn camo tape)

No brand Ally helmet camera mount

Invader Flecktarn fast helmet cover (most velcro patches removed - prefer camo to be seen or not...)

Tropic Thunder Patch on rear of helmet reads "I'm a Lead Farmer Motherfucker"

OD elastic weave (just because...)

FMA _MARITIME.JPG

• Supporters

Bit of an old photo but not a huge amount has changed.

FMA Maritime helmet

ANVIS 9

Peltor Comtac 3 dual comm

Team Wendy cam fit 

Epic air pads. 

It's since had a repro Mohawk counterweight pouch and an ops core multicam cover added. 

Screenshot_20190129-213201-01.jpeg

• Supporters

Hadn’t realised how many I’d accrued over the years !

back row ; TFB MICH , random Pro-tec , G4 system 

middle row ; UK mk7’ish , Vietnam M1 in tiger , BHD delta Pro-tec , seal team ops core .

Front row ; SWCC boatman MICH , iron knight helmet , Belgian para lid .

ps there’s a few others not in the pic that my two sons have snaffled !

2B55F1DD-B5D0-4D7C-B448-5703181A9CDE.jpeg

9 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Hadn’t realised how many I’d accrued over the years !

back row ; TFB MICH , random Pro-tec , G4 system 

middle row ; UK mk7’ish , Vietnam M1 in tiger , BHD delta Pro-tec , seal team ops core .

Front row ; SWCC boatman MICH , iron knight helmet , Belgian para lid .

ps there’s a few others not in the pic that my two sons have snaffled !

2B55F1DD-B5D0-4D7C-B448-5703181A9CDE.jpeg

Love the beat up(ish) look of the bottom left one

• Supporters
1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

Love the beat up(ish) look of the bottom left one

It’s one of the heavy fibreglass ‘type’ ones , was olive green stuck a thick coat of sand krylon and brown net stencil on it , and then kicked it around for ages ! 

And funnily enough it’s my favourite and the comfiest of them all bar the dragon red  one .👍

On 29/01/2019 at 16:59, PopRocket123 said:

Here you all are with expensive setups and mine coste less that £100

My most expensive one cost around £75 I think , most were well under 50 ! 

Has anyone tried the cheapo £18 fast helmets on eBay? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253727343179

been thinking of getting a helmet for a while but not sure if I’ll get on with one because I sweat quite a lot.

so my thinking is try one of these for a few games and if I find it comfortable then invest in something a bit better but at the same time don’t want to waste money on something totally trash even if it is only £18 

My head is 59cm so should fit as it’s advertised up to 60cm  

• Supporters

By the looks of it it’s a plastic shell (like most of the rest) that’s got a styrofoam liner in it , so should be ok but even if it isn’t usable as is all you need do is rip the inner out of it and re-pad it with somthing different ? I’ve got an old pro-tec that the liner was bust up so I pulled all the guts of it out then re-padded it with kip mat and then some some memory foam helmet pads , worked a treat .👍

Archived