Backpacks

lukeB
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I want to get into more milsims this year, as well as more camping with the mrs.

I have been looking at the 5.11 rush 72 and warrior predator. Firstly how do these compare, does anyone have any experience with them?

Secondly, I have a few osprey backpacks in non airsoft friendly colours. Aether 70, kestral 38, talon etc. 

I'm not fussed about hiking features such as pole or ice tool attachments. In terms of just comfort and weather resistance, are the military bags comparable?

• Supporters

Milsims usually have documentation telling you what you should bring so you can just check in with that. Figure out what you need and then go from there. 

If it's just for the essentials (clothes, sleeping bag, food, ect) then things like the 3 day assault packs would work fine. 

Anything longer or if you plan on taking a tent with you I'd probably go with something like an Alice or Bergen backpack. 

If you already have kit that works then you don't really need to go out and buy something new just because it's tacticool - you can always buy camo covers like this that fit over them and turn that bright blue hiking backpack into something that blends in a little better.

generally I just use an army surplus mtp PRI 45litre daysack as they are relatively cheap and built to last. I have not found much reason to use anything much bigger. admittedly I have generally only gone to the two day events where large Bergen's are not really required in the same way. just choose what you need.

(for reference I'm a big fan of the okto eight series, although they are not as serious as some milsims...)

9 hours ago, Gepard said:

Milsims usually have documentation telling you what you should bring so you can just check in with that. Figure out what you need and then go from there. 

If it's just for the essentials (clothes, sleeping bag, food, ect) then things like the 3 day assault packs would work fine. 

Anything longer or if you plan on taking a tent with you I'd probably go with something like an Alice or Bergen backpack. 

If you already have kit that works then you don't really need to go out and buy something new just because it's tacticool - you can always buy camo covers like this that fit over them and turn that bright blue hiking backpack into something that blends in a little better.

This^^^

Some Milsim's do hard routine where you will be asked to carry your bergan/gear to a harbor area, if that's the case all your gear into a 120l pack (where you can pack roll mat, sleeping bag, clothes, food etc etc) is ideal with a small day sack packed inside which you can then dispense out of your bergan into for when you are out on the ground if you need it.

Camo covers are cool and majority are waterproof so will keep all your stuff dry if carrying to a habor area in the wet, I use dry bags for all my gear anyway so its only needed if like @Gepard says you have a bright coloured pack or don't have dry bags.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, lukeB said:

I want to get into more milsims this year, as well as more camping with the mrs.

I have been looking at the 5.11 rush 72 and warrior predator. Firstly how do these compare, does anyone have any experience with them?

Secondly, I have a few osprey backpacks in non airsoft friendly colours. Aether 70, kestral 38, talon etc. 

I'm not fussed about hiking features such as pole or ice tool attachments. In terms of just comfort and weather resistance, are the military bags comparable?

One thing to bare in mind is 5.11 packs are heavy to start with , they are totally bomb proof (I have 3 different sized Moab packs) BUT heavy as hell before you even begin to pack it .

These are my pref for carrying stuff (depending how much stuff, how secure & weather etc):

(SMALL) Viper Panther rucksack:

viper_panther_green_1.jpg

(MEDIUM) German Army Alpine Rucksack:

german-alpine-rucksack_1.jpg

(LARGE) Gregory Alpaca Duffel Bag - can be used as a rucksack or carried... :

BK.jpg

Peli Storm with RucPac straps (Hardcore):

1402048519_574.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get rid of the kit I dont use first, such as my recon pc, before buying more.

The main issue I have is space, looking to get more kit that can be used for pew pew/camping and general use. Bags, waterproofs, outdoor clothing etc. Thats probably a long term project, no rush.

I already have an mtp infantry bergen with drybag (no side pouches) that I use to take all my kit to day events.

Also have a couple of small warrior cargo packs which I normally use for hpa tank, and a cheap mil tec bag that I've hardly used but I'll try and get some use out of that first.

First milsim(ish) event is a 24hour in march but it sounds fairly laid back.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, lukeB said:

I think I'll get rid of the kit I dont use first, before buying more.

f#ck me Luke, your a genius, if only i'd had your wisdom 18 years ago, i'd have room in my shed/garage/loft 😉

(ps don't tell the wife, she thinks my kit is just the stuff in the garage lol)

Archived