Where do you hold your sidearm??

Swampysteve
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I feel with a drop leg holster I find myself reaching down for it a lot more then I should. This might just be me, but due to this I have a belt holster as I need quick access to my sidearm. If my sidearm is on my chest, my sling gets in the way and on my leg I find the time to grab it is much longer. Having it only my belt allows me to quickly drop my rifle (connected to sling) and grab my sidearm instantly. (Also drawing from belt to aim is a far shorter distance than from a leg holster.

Anyone agree and do the same thing?😳 or am I just crazy...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Felt lined belt holster or jeans pocket

And he'll only shoot it holding it sideways too 😂

22 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Belt or drop leg always on my left side if I can , I’m not a southpaw but i shoot either left or right handed depending on the cover or angle of shot needed but seeing as most I’m predominantly Right handed when shooting a long seams to make sense to me to be able to transition to my secondary before I’ve even dropped my primary ? 

A man after my own heart!
I started out with a drop leg on my left, but then swapped to a right side drop leg, cos ASG don't make one for the left for the mk23 😞 
I'm lucky in that I can shoot well with my off hand - makes it much easier as a sniper to be able to use sidearm whilst still maintaining control of my primary.

As far as other holster go, for CQB I stow a pistol in my vest rather than using a holster.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

started out with a drop leg on my left, but then swapped to a right side drop leg, cos ASG don't make one for the left for the mk23 😞 

This is what you need bud its what I use with my MK23 , it’s not cheap but it is Blackhawk! 

Ignore the glock/sig gumph , I can get my socom in it no probs !👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Blackhawk-Omega-VI-Holster-Left-Hand-Leg-Holster-AIRSOFT-SIG-GLOCK/222159643874?hash=item33b9bf24e2:g:ehgAAOSwNSxVO55d

I found the hoster on molle belt too high for fast draw. And I don't like holster on thigh. So I went for a compromise.

I have a Nuprol polymer holster on an IMI low ride polymer belt attachment. They can be connected to a separate belt under the molle one or to the inner belt of the molle. The Nuprol holster and IMI low ride are compatable.

Holds the gun at just the right height for me. The holsterr connects just below the bottom of my Condor battle belt.

46 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

The problem is that American brands like Safariland and even Blackhawk are ridiculously expensive in the UK.

Not if you are patient and find the right thing on eBay. Even saying that my current safariland was £80 from the US suppose it depends what you’d want to pay for a holster. I’ve picked up a few safariland, Blackhawk and other brands on eBay for £30 in the past.

Failing that getting a custom one made isn’t overly expensive and you can have the drilled to take a UBL or whatever you want to fit the needs, drop leg holsters are rediculously shit I don’t know why anyone would use them unless you have arms like Stretch Armstrong. 

I'm a mid rise dude. The hip always felt too high & the drop leg was way to low for me. Took ages to find a mid rise holster but it was worth it when I did. 

Although I have now given my sidearm away to my son for his 16th 🤔

Gonna miss my old 1911 

8 minutes ago, Fumps said:

I'm a mid rise dude. The hip always felt too high & the drop leg was way to low for me. Took ages to find a mid rise holster but it was worth it when I did. 

Although I have now given my sidearm away to my son for his 16th 🤔

Gonna miss my old 1911 

More excuse to buy something for yourself then

9 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

More excuse to buy something for yourself then

I was thinking the same, it's a good excuse 😋 but i started thinking of just not bothering with a sidearm at all now. 

It's just more stuff to carry, clean, reload during breaks. It will feel weird but I'm gonna give it a go & see how I get on. 

This is where mine sits, behind my mag pouches tucks in nicely. kind of easy to draw, but to want to get a drop leg holster (fyi im not as fat as the rig makes me look just the position I had to put it in so it stands free front end is heavy haha)

plate carrier.jpg

• Supporters

Funny im currently debating a new setup, i have myself a shiny new smersh rig and a polymer makarov holster but i'm struggling to think of a decent place.

Currently seem to be 3 options:

-Left shoulder strap, fits ok but flaps around a bit

-behind right hand mag pouches, again fits but my arm dont bend that far

-on a molle drop leg panel

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

I have my pistol in an m4 pouch on my lower chest. Who needs holsters? 😆

people who like their guns to have mags in when they draw them :P

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

people who like their guns to have mags in when they draw them :P

Ahaha, I only do the pistol m4 pouch when i'm running my sniper rifle because I only need one extra mag for my m700, so I have 3 extra m4 pouches: one for pistol and two for speed loaders of different bb weights. Fits pretty perfectly for me.

On my m4 setup, I don't even need my pistol at all.

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2019 at 21:37, Adolf Hamster said:

Funny im currently debating a new setup, i have myself a shiny new smersh rig and a polymer makarov holster but i'm struggling to think of a decent place.

Currently seem to be 3 options:

-Left shoulder strap, fits ok but flaps around a bit

-behind right hand mag pouches, again fits but my arm dont bend that far

-on a molle drop leg panel

Adolf Hamster, what holster did you buy for your Makarov?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, CrashStacy said:

Adolf Hamster, what holster did you buy for your Makarov?

One of the ones off greyshop, for a real makarov. Very nice holster can heartily reccommend.

Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

One of the ones off greyshop, for a real makarov. Very nice holster can heartily reccommend.

Thanks very much, I'll try that then :)

Depends on the loadout.

My green gear has a Blackhawk vest with a cross-draw holster. Fits most of my pistols up to the Beretta and the AW HX2002.

My black gear has a Viper molle belt with one of their adjustable holsters. Fits near anything except the DL-44.

Occasionally I'll add the black belt to the green gear and pack two pistols for the hell of it, usually if I know there's an assault game on that day.

• Supporters
On 27/01/2019 at 19:57, Swampysteve said:

Bit of a random question but curious to know where people are holding their sidearms and which seems to be the most popular.

I find my hand works the best , did try clenched buttocks , but the ability to aim and the accuracy were simply atrocious !

Archived