Where do you hold your sidearm??

Swampysteve
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Bit of a random question but curious to know where people are holding their sidearms and which seems to be the most popular.

Drop leg holster? Belt holster? Molle holster on a rig?

I understand it's all a personal preference based on comfort etc. 

(I obviously have too much spare time on a Sunday evening!)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Belt or drop leg always on my left side if I can , I’m not a southpaw but i shoot either left or right handed depending on the cover or angle of shot needed but seeing as most I’m predominantly Right handed when shooting a long seams to make sense to me to be able to transition to my secondary before I’ve even dropped my primary ? 

for it me it kind of depends on whether I am playing cqb or not. cqbI use a drop leg holster. anything else I  use a belt mounted holster.

@Druid799 it's interesting that you mention shooting ambidexterously. I always have my holster on the right as I am definitely right hand/right eye dominant when shooting with a pistol and I can  draw.and.shoot quickly and.more accurately that way. but then I can shoot a long gun with either hand... 😂

I'm considering getting a molle attachment for my chest rig and mount where the Id/admin pouch would usually be but then I'm thinking is that just going to get in the way with my sling and then not be as fast to draw if needs be???

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

@Druid799 it's interesting that you mention shooting ambidexterously. I always have my holster on the right as I am definitely right hand/right eye dominant when shooting with a pistol and I can  draw.and.shoot quickly and.more accurately that way. but then I can shoot a long gun with either hand... 😂

I’m an old fart so when I joined the army they still (just) had the L1A1 so you learned how to shoot from both left and right shoulder , and that idea has followed me all my life , if I’m doing a task that’s new and could be done either L or R handed I’ll try and learn how too , plus once you master shooting with both eyes open it’s really easy to shoot left OR right handed .👍

4 minutes ago, Swampysteve said:

I'm considering getting a molle attachment for my chest rig and mount where the Id/admin pouch would usually be but then I'm thinking is that just going to get in the way with my sling and then not be as fast to draw if needs be???

Had one , didn’t like it , my sling did some times get snagged on it but the reason I binned it was it’s just too slow a draw for me even with practice .

I'll go with either a bianchi belt holster on the right or occasionally both sides akimbo, a shoulder holster or occasionally a conceal & carry carbon holster clip that tucks in my belt. Depends on what else I'm using as a primary. Not so keen on pockets as they tend to collect grit'n'lint.

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I’m an old fart so when I joined the army they still (just) had the L1A1 so you learned how to shoot from both left and right shoulder , and that idea has followed me all my life , if I’m doing a task that’s new and could be done either L or R handed I’ll try and learn how too , plus once you master shooting with both eyes open it’s really easy to shoot left OR right handed . 👍

nice, it sounds like it's worth doing some pistol drills and learning to shoot the pistol left handed 🙂

gotta love a challenge.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Immortal said:

I'll go with either a bianchi belt holster 

I’ve got the issue M9 Bianchi holster (set up on the left of course 😉) even though it’s a flap over holster so slow to draw it’s an absolutely cracking holster and was lucky enough to pick up a dropleg adapter for duck all on fleabay ! Which was nice .😁

4 minutes ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

nice, it sounds like it's worth doing some pistol drills and learning to shoot the pistol left handed 🙂

gotta love a challenge.

Yup ! If your not challenging your self then your either dead OR you may as well be as you’ve lost your spirt and joined the rest of the drones .😢

I'm a true southpaw but due to my many years in cadets and army I learnt to shoot a rifle right handed and find it alot more difficult to shoot left. 

But give me a pistol it's left handed again and can't shoot right handed at all just feels so wrong for me. 

But to answer the question drop leg on left side. 

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I’ve got the issue M9 Bianchi holster (set up on the left of course 😉) even though it’s a flap over holster so slow to draw it’s an absolutely cracking holster and was lucky enough to pick up a dropleg adapter for duck all on fleabay ! Which was nice .😁

Mine (left & right) are Bianchi Accumold size 7 for glocks. They're ex MOD/Police holsters, luv'em. Real quickdraw once they wear in.

Also off Fleabay 👍 I do like a Bianchi! Got 3! lol :lol: I'll shoot with either hand eyes open.

• Supporters

Warrior Assault Universal holster on either my trouser belt or battle belt. (Right side)

Unless im using the MK23, then it’s the DTD in the same places.

When I have used both pistols rather than the primary, I have had one on the Right side. The other directly above my dump pouch at the back.

• Supporters
Just now, Swampysteve said:

@Druid799 yeah that was my thinking but I suppose with anything have to to try to know you don't like it? Looks CoolAF though 🤘

Didn’t say it didn’t 😉(it does look cooler than a penguins dangling things !) just not very practical in use ! 🤣🤣🤣

south paw so on the hip with a warrior universal retention holster. never found a comfortable drop leg and found shoulder holsters really hard to get a clean draw.

• Supporters

High up on my thigh on my right side (mirrored image). I did try the belt holsters but found it uncomfortable to draw. Doesn't budge an inch whilst running about and I often forget I'm even carrying a sidearm!

Not so much a fan of the holster itself. Need to get a new one really - it fastens with a button so it can take a few seconds. 

2019-01-28_00.03.54.jpg

My DTD holster is on my left hip. I'm ambidextrous too, but left eye dominant so I find shooting, with a pistol especially, much easier left handed. 

If I'm using a holster that is not my DTD, then I tend to angle it nearly horizontal on the right side of my belt. So I draw it across my stomach. 

8 hours ago, Swampysteve said:

I use this, if you use a RETENTION holster, it's a very much faster draw if you need to turn around and shoot, faster than using your rifle, and it also allows you to draw if your backs against a wall, which in military situation (not really airsoft applicable) would be during a grapple, you turn a corner, guy jumps you, etc.... 

But as an impressionist (sorta) the real world situations still "count", I use a Sherpa blackhawk which is muzzle up. 

I carry a second pistol on my belt,on the right or left side for my right hand. 

Although I'm currently planing on a narcos inspired coloumbain white suit thing with a shoulder holster :P

4 minutes ago, Vulpiness said:

I use this, if you use a RETENTION holster, it's a very much faster draw if you need to turn around and shoot, faster than using your rifle, and it also allows you to draw if your backs against a wall, which in military situation (not really airsoft applicable) would be during a grapple, you turn a corner, guy jumps you, etc.... 

But as an impressionist (sorta) the real world situations still "count", I use a Sherpa blackhawk which is muzzle up. 

I carry a second pistol on my belt,on the right or left side for my right hand. 

Although I'm currently planing on a narcos inspired coloumbain white suit thing with a shoulder holster :P

Make sure you get the tash in there too!! 😎😂

32 minutes ago, Swampysteve said:

Make sure you get the tash in there too!! 😎😂

You better believe it. ;) 

https://www.beardsandmoustaches.co.uk/acatalog/Viva-Sapata-Moustaches-Human-Hair-1.html

• Supporters

makarov is shoulder holster, hicapa goes in a drop leg and the sig is cross draw.

the sig and hicapa are in polymer holsters and the makarov is in a fabric holster, reason being is fabric holster+button mag release=lost mags.

For my PX4 I use an IMI retention holster, cross draw on my chest rig if I am using it.  If not, then it goes in a spare ammo pouch on my left hip on my SMERSH ( I use Russian webbing).  I am right handed.  

For my Makarov - again cross draw on the left hip.  I don't know why but I really don't like it being the same side as my shooting hand.  Probably not the quickest draw but its comfy for me.

Chest or right belt

Archived