Snipping spring to reduce FPS

allyballybee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Wondering if anyone can tell me a rough guide as to how much FPS you lose per spring coil?

I bought an ASG AUG A3 which shoots 394fps out the box and easy fix to get it under Land Warrior's 370 in time for Sunday, is to just snip off a coil or two. I'm comfortable enough with the gearbox, but don't want to snip too many coils off and be dribbling BBs all over the floor!

Appreciate it's not going to be an exact science but a guideline, saw a few people online saying 15-20fps per coil, some saying 30-40fps and i'd rather trust one of you lot. I guess it depends on the spring?

IME it'll take around 15-20 fps per coil. You'll want to reseat the spring after.

I use a small jet flame to heat the snipped coil (and only the snipped coil no others and very carefully as it'll compromise the metal) and use a pair of needle pliers to flatten it level (like before you snipped it), then dremel it flat so when it's loaded back into the gearbox the pressure will be spread evenly and aligned. If you don't there's a chance it'll want to compress at an angle which may lead to problems/damage.

Plenty of vids on the Tube to follow. But don't just snip it and pop it back in.

Consider less is more and you may have to repeat the process. If it is very close (5-10fps) to what you're aiming for then another option is to leave it cocked or compressed (say overnight) and then see if it has bedded the spring. If it drops but not enough you can always try it again.

Also by clipping the spring there will be less drop in fps over time as it will be shorter and will be able to relax in it's natural length rather than always compressed.

EDIT1: Also you can clip half a coil to fine tune so you don't have to take a complete coil off each time...

EDIT 2: Also when the coil is heated and pliers applied I dip it straight into water to cool it down quickly...

29 minutes ago, Immortal said:

IME it'll take around 15-20 fps per coil. You'll want to reseat the spring after.

I use a small jet flame to heat the snipped coil (and only the snipped coil no others and very carefully as it'll compromise the metal) and use a pair of needle pliers to flatten it level (like before you snipped it), then dremel it flat so when it's loaded back into the gearbox the pressure will be spread evenly and aligned. If you don't there's a chance it'll want to compress at an angle which may lead to problems/damage.

Plenty of vids on the Tube to follow. But don't just snip it and pop it back in.

Consider less is more and you may have to repeat the process. If it is very close (5-10fps) to what you're aiming for then another option is to leave it cocked or compressed (say overnight) and then see if it has bedded the spring. If it drops but not enough you can always try it again.

Also by clipping the spring there will be less drop in fps over time as it will be shorter and will be able to relax in it's natural length rather than always compressed.

EDIT1: Also you can clip half a coil to fine tune so you don't have to take a complete coil off each time...

EDIT 2: Also when the coil is heated and pliers applied I dip it straight into water to cool it down quickly...

Thanks dude, hugely helpful, i'll give it a go!

Just a thought, but has your AUG got an a adjustable spring platform ? My jG one has a bolt in the spring guide that you can screw in or out to change fps and no need to split the box. Yours may not have it or it may already be at 'minimum' but worth checking before you split the box. 

Archived