Silverback SRS Thread

sonofsammo

If you can wait MAXX are releasing a unit so is stalker. Maple leaf have also released their revised one. 

Spoilt for choice really. 

There are a few coming out soon but my worry is they won't be "universal" and will some how force you to use that companies buckings and nubs etc.

Other than a slightly tighter fit around their own buckings, I can't see how the designs or performance would be much if any improved on the factory design (or FAST hop).

Can't decide if I want to buy this rifle or not. I've got a 'once was' pimped VSR, not sure the change is going to be a huge change or just another one for the collection. I do like it, but do I need it really.... can't decide! :lol:

1 hour ago, Immortal said:

Can't decide if I want to buy this rifle or not. I've got a 'once was' pimped VSR, not sure the change is going to be a huge change or just another one for the collection. I do like it, but do I need it really.... can't decide! :lol:

It likely won't shoot much different to the VSR. It'll be more manoeuvreable and a lot quieter.

Just buy it.

Just now, Steveocee said:

It likely won't shoot much different to the VSR. It'll be more manoeuvreable and a lot quieter.

Just buy it.

See I'm in two minds; I thought it would be quieter too but I've heard that's a myth? Is it just a wasp piston/an airbrake making it quiet?

Really tempting; I'd like the 16" Covert, a wasp piston, (looks like a) fast hop (until Maple or similar release one). Bucking and barrel I guess, certainly a bucking would be prefereable - unless the stock one is good (?) and the barrel can wait.

I know I'll end up buckling and getting one anyway, the seed is planted now. Just a case of waiting for it to sprout. lol :lol:

11 hours ago, Immortal said:

See I'm in two minds; I thought it would be quieter too but I've heard that's a myth? Is it just a wasp piston/an airbrake making it quiet?

Really tempting; I'd like the 16" Covert, a wasp piston, (looks like a) fast hop (until Maple or similar release one). Bucking and barrel I guess, certainly a bucking would be prefereable - unless the stock one is good (?) and the barrel can wait.

I know I'll end up buckling and getting one anyway, the seed is planted now. Just a case of waiting for it to sprout. lol :lol:

They are quieter and even more so if you match BB weight to barrel to piston volume. The DTSS silencer really kills the noise. If you want it totally silent then you can get the WASP or variable mass piston. In my irrational mind though, the piston is a meh point as generally out of MED you wouldn't hear it anyway.

I've managed to find a company in Japan doing PDI barrels for about half the UK RRP of them so once I've done homework to make sure they are R-Hopable or at least compatible with good rubbers I'll be ordering one.

A sniper is about precision, why not make sure there is a "good" barrel in even though a lot I read says the stock barrel is fine.

The single most frequent comment I get about my SRS is how quiet it is. 
As far as getting one, the main thing I'll say is - have you got your mitts on one?
Because it's a bullpup, it's not to everyone's taste. And the mag changes are a ballache.
However, I adore mine. (but I'm a bp fan boy...)
As far as upgrades, I had a pdi with rhop, but ditched it in favour of ML CJ and autobot bucking.
I currently use the fast hop chamber, which has 100% air seal.
I got hold of the ML hop chamber as soon as it was available in NL, but the production run was fucked, so never fitted it.
I've just had the replacement unit arrive, but haven't got round to fitting it yet.
I'm semi excited about it, as it's designed to work with the barrel/bucking combo I already use.
Overall, I love the platform - it's a joy to shoot. And it's virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, which is always a bonus.
It's a doddle to work on too, which is most welcome.

43 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

As far as getting one, the main thing I'll say is - have you got your mitts on one?
Because it's a bullpup, it's not to everyone's taste. And the mag changes are a ballache.
As far as upgrades, I had a pdi with rhop, but ditched it in favour of ML CJ and autobot bucking.
I got hold of the ML hop chamber as soon as it was available in NL, but the production run was fucked, so never fitted it.
I've just had the replacement unit arrive, but haven't got round to fitting it yet.
I'm semi excited about it, as it's designed to work with the barrel/bucking combo I already use.
Overall, I love the platform - it's a joy to shoot. And it's virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, which is always a bonus.

Is that using the VSR fitment bucking and barrel?

44 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Good to know. I haven't had my mitts on one No. I've just seen them in various sizes on occasions on game days. Most players seem to get a lot of attention with people asking for a try so I've not bothered them with being another in the line of "can I have a go". I like BPs although I have none in my collection.

Thank you for the detailed reply. And bugger cause I still want one... lol :lol:

13 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Is that using the VSR fitment bucking and barrel?

I used the 510mm CJ ML VSR barrel and the autobot 50 bucking (VSR/GBB).
I had to shave a nub off the bucking and it's a tight fit in the fast hop, but it works a treat.

@Immortal No worries - next time you see one, just ask if you can hold it. I've never said no, cos I want people to see what they think.
Some people have said it was wank (their exact words lol), others have been neutral, others have tootled off grinning from ear to ear knowing what they're spending their dosh on next. 

p.s. no idea if you're anywhere near me (N.Yorks), but if you are, you're more than welcome to try it out 😄 

7 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I used the 510mm CJ ML VSR barrel and the autobot 50 bucking (VSR/GBB).
I had to shave a nub off the bucking and it's a tight fit in the fast hop, but it works a treat.

I'm a pain for wanting stuff to "just fit" and I'm trying to find ways around modifying things.

Am wondering how well a PDI 6.05 would fair up with a PDI W hold 70 shore rubber.

11 hours ago, Steveocee said:

I'm a pain for wanting stuff to "just fit" and I'm trying to find ways around modifying things.

Am wondering how well a PDI 6.05 would fair up with a PDI W hold 70 shore rubber.

You can get around that issue now with the new Super/Wonder buckings which no longer have the locating nubs.
As far as the PDI  - I have no idea.
One thing I have learned about the SRS as a platform is that they're not all the same. What might work amazingly well in mine might be total shite as a set up in another one. Sadly the only way to find out is to spend a shit tonne of money on different bits and bobs until you find what's perfect for your rifle. On the plus side, you end up with lots of spares! 😂

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Immortal said:

Looks like Santa (me) is giving me a new toy... :lol:

images (1).jpeg

On 16/12/2019 at 09:02, Steveocee said:

I've managed to find a company in Japan doing PDI barrels for about half the UK RRP of them so once I've done homework to make sure they are R-Hopable or at least compatible with good rubbers I'll be ordering one.

I have a PDI in my Fast Hop G-Spec with the FOW nub and drop-in R-hop patch. I’ve barely had a chance to try it but it does all fit together.

Trying to pick a new scope without selling a Kidney. Looked at the VisionKing but it's tuned to 100yards, any other reccomendations?

Nothing giant as it's going on a covert 16" so needs to be optically cool. (ha pun... :lol:)

1 hour ago, Immortal said:

Trying to pick a new scope without selling a Kidney. Looked at the VisionKing but it's tuned to 100yards, any other reccomendations?

Nothing giant as it's going on a covert 16" so needs to be optically cool. (ha pun... :lol:)

I run a Diamondback 3.5-10 x50 on mine.

Bloody lovely scope, but might feel a little big for the covert?

1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

I run a Diamondback 3.5-10 x50 on mine.

Bloody lovely scope, but might feel a little big for the covert?

Very nice indeed, yes a little big I think (and beyond my budget for now) however I thank you all the same 👍

13 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Super interested to know how that performs for you.

Waiting on a regulator and other CO2 components, but hopefully I’ll start to have answers early next year. I’ll update the thread when I do.

12 hours ago, Immortal said:

Trying to pick a new scope without selling a Kidney.

They’re not really intended to be a sniper’s scope, but I’ve found G&P’s ACOGs to have very superior glass compared to other airsoft-grade sights. I’ve had a couple of clone Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mk.IVs and compared to those my old G&P 4x32 really was extremely nice.

4x is really all you’ll need in airsoft (you'll miss faffing with adjustable magnification and focus a lot less than you think you will), you don't get the fish-eye that seems endemic to airsoft-grade adjustable-magnification scopes, and the sight is extremely compact and basically indestructible. They're heavy and the eye relief is unforgiving, but they’re really good optically. I replaced my G&P with a real TA01NSN, and while the Trijicon is a lot nicer and has things the G&P didn't (like tritium illumination) the G&P was excellent and entirely adequate for airsoft.

G&P make a few different models; I had GP-035 - pretty much the most basic one. £85 for the sight, plus £7.50 for a polycarbonate lens and £7.50 for a killflash to put the lens in gives you an extremely rugged and high-quality BB-proofed optic for £100 - not bad. If I recall correctly a VisionKing shortdot is about £60 plus the mount and a lens protector, so there's probably only £20ish in it.

If you want to see how the ACOG looks on the shortest possible SRS, let me know - I can get a picture of mine.

12 hours ago, Immortal said:

Not sure if you'd class it as too big or not but I run a Swiss Arms 3-9x50. About £60-70 from Amazon and I'v found it very clear for a cheap scope. Has held it's zero really well as well. Must have had a good 2-3 years trouble free use from it. It's sat waiting to go on the SRS now.

9 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

Waiting on a regulator and other CO2 components, but hopefully I’ll start to have answers early next year. I’ll update the thread when I do.

Oh you're HPA'ing! Nice. Yep please do let me know. PDI with a faceless patch and FOW is most likely the path I'd go down, just trying to feel out all of the options.

On 22/12/2019 at 18:42, Immortal said:

I have the attached on my covert. It's lovely. Glass is incredibly clear and the turrets make it very easy to adjust on the fly.

Screenshot_20191224_093207_com.ebay.mobile.jpg