Silverback SRS Thread

sonofsammo

My SRS has hit it's "final" version. This weekend was insane!! As the day wore on the new R-Hop patch bedded it's way in progressively needing less and less pressure to be applied. By the end of the day it was almost at the point where I didn't need to watch the BB fly, if the crosshair was on it, it was gone!

Mn-QQw8WXSTzQ-Jo1EIzRYtoCarUOyopC8aqqUrP8trxbaO99tYoK-cXsdnHR5ZS5rhwveCC6xgbqCOfZ3AObKgUq8IeFW9GTZjvIXErc1-AeLyS3teCHCo_nMz96xINpFSjSIB9oPTNK9562DarqQTXq4c96QHexSykOf4TtFJdCwjRUs7m2yOA1GGEfYiJcamDXOhfEwIvOVINnY3DOfdBE4yCynUOvwH7srNNh1w9g8vd060XSUKQeMjgAEWXN5HmcsZ7gPUOEQ2-zcdWCHsFLEJBTHFmG0DxGmd_fAouRpE40LZxphSEb38Zd9KEN4l8eO3ihoD3eFKhClbltlRooNguEpalNhG-DjUNPtfNUi2JQ4NhAX2lH_WnkFEkj7KY0oShKWkcr87rsBYKwfE3ZezRK9xs4_Jg05Ees3bww853Cc3NKxjS-nbuIXJUynfofUWibKaEhHaHHS6Ht62VSdm74BHAFmKDorSZTvmTe77Tqp7vd14TOpTy-jVLDcEo6unqVN7W3ZIxZG5-eM0i3Wbd5cqP2NBQCl8M8R1XLV5u1coeZFy2RiX31leJB1Q5sVpLCQGsVUCopWFDx4_AEtgu1Deavx8cdoU9903avlIowUAQ1etGvybXqr6ySrMI4ap8WCwIkAzC50p80q3QKsmSc6x3H0dg6MVKYWlqoAonPteHjqSZ9kyGqg=w1110-h833-no?authuser=0

SRS A1 GSPEC

FAST hop, PDI 370x6.05 inner barrel, DTSS suppressor with internal barrel support (also SBA), Faceless 60deg R-Hop patch, SBA 70deg bucking modified for rhop, Facelss FOW nub, SBA v1.VMP with 1 aluminium collar, Faceless mousefart piston head, Rapax 2J spring with 2 coils removed, Faceless FPS booster ring. 318fps (+/- 1) on a 0.48g (about 2.24/2.26J) with the hop set.

• 1 month later...

Pretty certain I have finally ascertained that my Fast hop is to blame for my problems since purchasing my A2 in April.

My shots were always off. Never centre, Despite numerous nubs and bucking's. The nub never seemed straight. Silverback kept telling me to follow the installation video (Of course that's what I used!) and anyone who commented on my help posts blamed my installation.

Ordered Adventure Stan's Barrel Alignment Tool to see what's up.

As you can see, it's either the Inner part of the Fast hops BB Feed tube cut is not in the right place, or the outer part of the fast hop does not align with the inner. Adventure Stan's tool makes sure the inner barrel, bucking and fast hop is perfectly straight. So I can only conclude it is a badly produced fast hop.

This happens on all bucking's and nubs I have tried.

If I twist either the inner barrel or outer part of the hop unit then the nub is no longer centred and just as useless.

We'll see what Silverback say, I just wish I didn't have to fork out the money to prove my theory right!

uzAEFKb.png

On 20/08/2020 at 11:20, Steveocee said:

@Asomodai What's the finish like on the chub? Seen a few reviews that weren't too favourable of it.

I realise this was posted a while ago but I'll respond anyway. I sent mine back immediately on arrival. It was visibly not square, didn't fill the hop window, and was covered in flash. Very poorly produced 3D print with no QC. I got mine on the day of release though so maybe they've gotten better.

2 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I realise this was posted a while ago but I'll respond anyway. I sent mine back immediately on arrival. It was visibly not square, didn't fill the hop window, and was covered in flash. Very poorly produced 3D print with no QC. I got mine on the day of release though so maybe they've gotten better.

I have seen there is a v2 out now, I was quite surprised and very disapointed by the lacklustre reports on these. Knowing how Jason is about his store and in general the calibre of the parts he has offered for the SRS it's a shame that v1 nub wasn't equally as good. Saying that though I think the FOW is the "killer" product in this category so how do you improve on that?

20 hours ago, Steveocee said:

I have seen there is a v2 out now, I was quite surprised and very disapointed by the lacklustre reports on these. Knowing how Jason is about his store and in general the calibre of the parts he has offered for the SRS it's a shame that v1 nub wasn't equally as good. Saying that though I think the FOW is the "killer" product in this category so how do you improve on that?

I've missed something, what's the FOW?

• 1 month later...

Thought I would try an old trick to see if an SRS can be made even quieter. Plus I’m bored and waiting on a delivery from sniper upgrades as I want to try the faceless sniper barrel combo with the fast hop to see if I can get better than the TNT setup I currently have. 

D99C04F0-2A05-4DE8-8C34-71DF5CE0046D.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Stodgy said:

Thought I would try an old trick to see if an SRS can be made even quieter. Plus I’m bored and waiting on a delivery from sniper upgrades as I want to try the faceless sniper barrel combo with the fast hop to see if I can get better than the TNT setup I currently have. 

I stuffed mine with cotton wool. Gives it a bit more solidity so always a bonus, less internal room to echo.

Faceless barrels are very nice, very similar to the PDI ones and I'm sure will be a notable improvement on the TNT coated brass.

I’m certainly keen to try it. When I got it the TNT was already in. At the moment I have put the stock setup back in and tbh I think it’s better than the TNT setup. Can’t prove it to myself for definite as the furthest I can shoot is 64m but it’s flying straight and true. If the faceless barrel is even better I’m looking forward to wielding it properly again. Time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have it where I want it. 

SRS A1 covert,

Random foam filled suppressor,

Rapax 2J with 1x spacer - 334+-2 fps on Geoffs .43s,

Faceless barrel 420mm, 60deg r hop patch and 100% airseal bucking with a FAST hop (perfect air seal)

Wasp piston with medium weight and full break and their spring guide,

Stock filled with expanding foam,

Random Tesco scope on high mounts.

All in all very happy now and shooting great already out to 64m (furthest I can get at present) and I’m certain when the hop beds in it will be a real tack driver.  Also, as a bonus, it sounds like a good mk23 and has a dull thud when firing so should be almost unheard outside the med

All that’s left is to put some cut up leaf trouser leg strips on it so it really blends in with the vegetation. 

AF8815DF-E360-4C85-8096-F37B41D83E0B.jpeg

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys,

I have a buddy who just got an A2 scout (short barrel). I'm looking to get one also if I like the feel of his.

Its shooting 1.6j (270fps) on a .45g with a 110Nm spring. This doesn't sound right with some googling I have done. Air seal is great.

Any ideas on why it's low?

Thanks in advance

With a finger over the barrel the piston doesn't move untill you take your finger off.

There's a slight jolt forward but is minimal. 

No sounds of creeping. Then a thud when the finger is removed.

• 1 year later...
Hello Folks.

I have an SRS 16" Covert A2.

Current mods are:

Rapax 2J Spring
Stalker Kraken Ultimate Hop
60 Degree Kraken Hop rubber
Maple Leaf 410mm Crazy Jet.

I use .48's only. 490FPS on .2 once conversion takes place. I decided to keep this setup for two years and would start looking at making thing's quieter once the setup either broke or lost enough FPS to take a look at.

I recently cleaned the rifle and replaced standard silicon grease with dry PTFE type lube. This resulted in a much better and smoother bolt pull, but I lost 30-40FPS.

I am looking to regain the lost FPS by installing a weighted piston kit and fine tune with an airbrake to reduce sound.

What are your preferred recommendations for kits?

I can purchase either the Sniper Mechanics W.A.S.P kit or the Scorpion kit...

OR the cheaper original Silverback SRS Variable Mass Piston kit and with the savings I can also grab an SRS Aluminum Spring Guide

What do you think is the best way to go?
Edited by Asomodai

On 15/03/2024 at 14:59, Asomodai said:
Hello Folks.

I have an SRS 16" Covert A2.

Current mods are:

Rapax 2J Spring
Stalker Kraken Ultimate Hop
60 Degree Kraken Hop rubber
Maple Leaf 410mm Crazy Jet.

I use .48's only. 490FPS on .2 once conversion takes place. I decided to keep this setup for two years and would start looking at making thing's quieter once the setup either broke or lost enough FPS to take a look at.

I recently cleaned the rifle and replaced standard silicon grease with dry PTFE type lube. This resulted in a much better and smoother bolt pull, but I lost 30-40FPS.

I am looking to regain the lost FPS by installing a weighted piston kit and fine tune with an airbrake to reduce sound.

What are your preferred recommendations for kits?

I can purchase either the Sniper Mechanics W.A.S.P kit or the Scorpion kit...

OR the cheaper original Silverback SRS Variable Mass Piston kit and with the savings I can also grab an SRS Aluminum Spring Guide

What do you think is the best way to go?

Silverback VMP but install a SniperUpgrades mousefart on the front end of it. Even now people know SRS are quiet, I still get comments on how quiet it is. Mega consistent as it uses an O-ring to seal and not a cup.

**Also, dry lube is fine on your cylinder but use the normal grease on your existing cup and FPS should come back up.