Silverback SRS Thread

sonofsammo

Get in...Covert 16".

Actually really like it (expensive mistake if I didn't... :lol:)

Temp 4x ACOG scope, hop-up's junk and has to go. Installed a W.A.S.P piston, Thumb stop on foregrip and a 2 point qd sling.

I did get a more powerful spring (110 newton) and it brings it upto 491fps with a steel sleeve on the cylinder and full air brake but it's really tough to cock so I'll look at getting another spring with a lighter pull but still keeping the fps up. Swapped the mag feeder for the dogs dick, comes with one in the box so it's just lazy they don't preinstall it. Air seals are good; did the finger over barrel test and the piston held it's ground till release. I'll ad a suppressor and print some custom baffles shortly.

Then probably get the rattle cans going... I'm a happy chappy overall. Thanks for the help.

img_5877.thumb.jpg.4837f6acccae609cff082cba5414bdbe.jpg

3 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Very nice @Immortal, I know you chrono'd in at 491 but I'd be really interested to know what you come in at using a 0.4 or heavier. Got a funny feeling you're going to get a huge amount of J creep.

I'll have a test once I get the hop up sorted. 👍

Curious & need a little help please; I'm looking for a 420mm barrel with a VSR cut on it.

I found a "TNT Studio S+ AEG 420mm Barrel" which looks to be a hybrid with the VSR cut on it. Can anyone confirm this? I've googled it and looked at photos and I get mixed results but no confirmation.

I was also looking at the Maple Leaf VSR crazy jet barrel 410mm (doesn't appear to be a 420mm version) as the "Maple Leaf "The Last" SRS Hop Unit" says it requires it but I'm thinking that's just marketing to get you to buy their barrel?

I'd like to use the "The Last" SRS Hop Unit" as I want to use VSR buckings instead.

7 hours ago, Immortal said:

Curious & need a little help please; I'm looking for a 420mm barrel with a VSR cut on it.

I found a "TNT Studio S+ AEG 420mm Barrel" which looks to be a hybrid with the VSR cut on it. Can anyone confirm this? I've googled it and looked at photos and I get mixed results but no confirmation.

I was also looking at the Maple Leaf VSR crazy jet barrel 410mm (doesn't appear to be a 420mm version) as the "Maple Leaf "The Last" SRS Hop Unit" says it requires it but I'm thinking that's just marketing to get you to buy their barrel?

I'd like to use the "The Last" SRS Hop Unit" as I want to use VSR buckings instead.

I’ve got the ML hop unit. I have a maple leaf barrel.
It didn’t fit. And I was somewhat fucked off.
There is a c clip, which fits into the grooves in the barrel and the hop chamber.

without the grooves (which my barrel doesn’t have), it doesn’t fit.
So nope, not marketing, sadly.
The hop unit looks to be well made (in the second version), but I couldn’t tell you how well it works yet lol.

31 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I’ve got the ML hop unit. I have a maple leaf barrel.
It didn’t fit. And I was somewhat fucked off.
There is a c clip, which fits into the grooves in the barrel and the hop chamber.

without the grooves (which my barrel doesn’t have), it doesn’t fit.
So nope, not marketing, sadly.
The hop unit looks to be well made (in the second version), but I couldn’t tell you how well it works yet lol.

Cool, thank you for clarifying 👍

31 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I couldn’t tell you how well it works yet

look's like I'll be finding out :lol:

9 hours ago, Immortal said:

Knew this would be a sink hole for money... lol :lol:

Ordered the Maple hop and barrel, 2 spare mags plus set of dogs dicks, a match Knob and a silencer plus a new spring.

Mags come with a dog dick anyway dude but always worth having a couple spare I guess just in case. Where did you order from? My normal "go to" places to order from have been out of stock of replacement cocking handle knobs and suppressors for a while?

For anyone considering buying a Faceless spring guide to silence any "twang". I bought some heat shrink and applied to my current guide, made it too wide for the spring to fit over (what a waste that was).

Second attempt I did a wrap of electrical tape with about a 1/3 overlap and cut the ends straight, has worked a charm, no spring twang at all.

3 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Mags come with a dog dick anyway dude but always worth having a couple spare I guess just in case. Where did you order from? My normal "go to" places to order from have been out of stock of replacement cocking handle knobs and suppressors for a while?

Cool, I wasn't sure if the mags came with them installed as the one that came with the rif needed it to be installed. Yes, spares are a good thing. 👍

The Suppressor, Mags, dicks and knob (lol... what a phallic list) came from the banner at the top; Fire Support. I didn't get the DTSS as the covert comes with a standard CCW thread so I simply went for one I can print baffles for that's a good size (and it's a lot cheaper!).

Spring, barrel and hopup came from skirmshop.co.uk

16 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

For anyone considering buying a Faceless spring guide to silence any "twang". I bought some heat shrink and applied to my current guide, made it too wide for the spring to fit over (what a waste that was).

Second attempt I did a wrap of electrical tape with about a 1/3 overlap and cut the ends straight, has worked a charm, no spring twang at all.

I haven't done that for the SRS yet but for the VSR I did the heat shrink route, worked very well. 👍 Good tip.

Just looking at barrels at the moment. Can't make my mind up between a 6.03 PDI or a 6.05 PDI.

6.05 as it would be "predictable", no FPS increase expected and it's the stock sizing so the gun is designed around that.

6.03 as all the popular aftermarkets seem to be a touch tighter than stock, slight increase in FPS expected but negative would be over voluming.

Faceless does a 6.04 which is near enough identical to PDI and shares the same R-Hop patches but I'm unsure as there is no reviews on them other than that website.

1 hour ago, Steveocee said:

Just looking at barrels at the moment. Can't make my mind up between a 6.03 PDI or a 6.05 PDI.

6.05 as it would be "predictable", no FPS increase expected and it's the stock sizing so the gun is designed around that.

6.03 as all the popular aftermarkets seem to be a touch tighter than stock, slight increase in FPS expected but negative would be over voluming.

Faceless does a 6.04 which is near enough identical to PDI and shares the same R-Hop patches but I'm unsure as there is no reviews on them other than that website.

That IMHO is the answer.

My bucking has been a bit poorly, so decided to swap it out - while I was at it, decided to fit the new (second version) of the maple leaf hop unit.
Which is shit.

Wasn't compatible with my maple leaf barrel, as there were no grooves for clip. So ditched it and went back to FAST hop unit.
Super bucking arrived and I fitted a slightly harder one than usual. I normally run a 50, but thought I' d try a 60.
Power has dropped. Range has increased. Approximately 100m (laser range finder to bush at 110m, but BBs were dropping just short). 100% air seal.
Because the power was so low (1.85J), I swapped to a more powerful spring (rapax 2+) and the power went up to 2.2J.
Not sure on accuracy yet, but will be field testing on Sunday. 
I used to have the hop set to 4.5 / 5 and had an output of 2.29J.
Now with the hop set to 2 and a more powerful spring, I'm getting 2.2J.
It's like alchemy!

41 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

My bucking has been a bit poorly, so decided to swap it out - while I was at it, decided to fit the new (second version) of the maple leaf hop unit.
Which is shit.

Wasn't compatible with my maple leaf barrel, as there were no grooves for clip. So ditched it and went back to FAST hop unit.
Super bucking arrived and I fitted a slightly harder one than usual. I normally run a 50, but thought I' d try a 60.
Power has dropped. Range has increased. Approximately 100m (laser range finder to bush at 110m, but BBs were dropping just short). 100% air seal.
Because the power was so low (1.85J), I swapped to a more powerful spring (rapax 2+) and the power went up to 2.2J.
Not sure on accuracy yet, but will be field testing on Sunday. 
I used to have the hop set to 4.5 / 5 and had an output of 2.29J.
Now with the hop set to 2 and a more powerful spring, I'm getting 2.2J.
It's like alchemy!

Sounds more like a cruel balancing act! I'm getting the impression that a lot of the aftermarket parts are quite "stable" specific in that if you use a maple leaf barrel you need the hopup, rubber etc etc and likewise with the TNT fold as well.

The FAST hops seem to be most peoples fall back option. Ideally I'd like to use a 70 deg rubber with the Silverback flat hop but there's no point in me spending on one seeing as I'm intending on going R-Hop soon anyway although would be nice to "keep it Silverback" to try and keep things simple.

17 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Sounds more like a cruel balancing act! I'm getting the impression that a lot of the aftermarket parts are quite "stable" specific in that if you use a maple leaf barrel you need the hopup, rubber etc etc and likewise with the TNT fold as well.

The FAST hops seem to be most peoples fall back option. Ideally I'd like to use a 70 deg rubber with the Silverback flat hop but there's no point in me spending on one seeing as I'm intending on going R-Hop soon anyway although would be nice to "keep it Silverback" to try and keep things simple.

But that's just it!
I was running mix and match and it worked perfectly.
I swapped to 100% maple leaf and it wasn't compatible!

So I can use a Maple Leaf barrel with the fast hop, but I can't use my Maple Leaf barrel with maple leaf hop unit, because it's the wrong spec.
It's fucking mental.
The number of people who have told me that maple leaf rubbers don't work in the FAST hop is ridiculous. And the number of people who've told me the ML CJ barrel is rubbish too.
And yet, for me, it works a treat!
I have a mixed pedigree gun and long may it continue 😄

I've always found the ML CJ barrels good; in both pistols and my VSR. I wonder if some of the bashing ML CJ get is more down to poor setup/maintenance and cheap/wrong weight ammo. (Have they dialed everything in properly...?)

And finally the one thing they probably don't consider is: they're a crap shot. lol :lol:

(not meant at anyone on here, I mean people's comments generally!)

Edit: Also they may fit a ML CJ and think it's poor but it could be the bucking, nub, hop or all of it.

In reading and researching the SRS, it does feel like a more "drag and drop" mentality is used than some of the more "historical" VSR discussions where the rifle is treated with cotton gloves and is a delicate balance and each part is carefully inserted and confirmed.

The SRS is still a relatively new platform and there are not a huge amount of online resources. Sniper Mechanics guide is so far one of the better ones but there isn't pages and pages of different people trying different things (yet). @sonofsammo is doing a very good job though working his way through most parts 😁

Huge change of heart. Have just placed an order for a TNT Studio S+ barrel, 60deg TR hop buckings and a prowler nub. Will try to resist the urge to install said upgrades until March (Baby due E.O Feb so banned from playing in March) but meh.... I'll have the parts in a few days lol.

Okey dokey, pig in a pokey...

SO I've installed the following on my SRS A1 Covert 16"=

W.A.S.P adjustable weight piston with full airbrake and heavy steel outer tube (heaviest of 3 supplied).

3 preload spring guide washers that come with the above piston.

Rapax APS2 Style Spring (2+ Joule)

Maple Leaf "The Last" hop unit.

Maple Leaf 410mm Crazy Jet barrel.

Maple Leaf "Maximum Range" 50 deg bucking.

Chrono on 0.43 = 340fps (2fps deviation going lower not higher)

Hopping perfectly in my limited range of 30m (so not a true test of accuracy etc but bang on the money where I was targeting)

Obviously none of it has bedded in properly yet but very pleased with the results.

This spring is very easy to cock even with the preload.

In the end I bought and mounted a VISIONKING 1.25-5x26mm - very happy with the choice, eye relief, clarity, etc...

Interestingly (although limited to the range I can shoot in the garden) I didn't have to dial it in! Crazy... it was just exactly where I dialed the hop by coincidence. I did the hop before I looked through the scope. No doubt on site it may need a click or two I'm sure.

All in all I can't wait to try the rif out this weekend coming. I'll report back my results.

Currently 3D printing something to meld the suppressor to the foregrip. I'll get a photo once mounted. Had an issue with the suppressor I bought, it doesn't want to screw on the whole way (Grrrrrrrrr). I may buy a 14mm ccw tap and rework the threads on it at a later date. It screws on enough to work but is fugly hence the model I'm running right now to fix it - it should work well enough for now. 

EDIT: Oh and the Match Knob is a very nice ergo upgrade.