Is there any reason AEGs don't have action cut offs?

Vulpiness
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Like every pistol I've had locks open, yet to find an AEG that does, it seems like it's so simple to do with a midcap, so when you run out of ammo the thing locks open as appropriate, You might be able to do a "spring hop-up as well or instead.

Am I missing something here? 

In real life pistols its as a result of the physical design and physics.  It’s also maintained as an insicator that the gun is clear (unless it’s a jam of course)

Airsoft guns, and especially electricals, work very differently

The physics of launching a BB comes down to a puff of air behind it rather than the real guns moving parts and combustion 

An AEG manufacturer would have to want to design that as a feature, such as both moving parts when firing and locking when empty

Bolt lock is nothing new really, Shame more platforms don't use it (saying that I can imagine the amount of people that would then think their gun is broken because its stopped firing) all GBBR's have this function and pistols as you say. would be a bit harder for a physical bolt to lock back on an AEG unless of course you count the GBLS or whatever its called which is a hybrid of an AEG and GBBR.

I think the likes of recoil and systema platforms (these are the only guns I've had most experience with) have got the best middle ground of a workable bolt lock but without the moving parts of a physical bolt locking back.

• Supporters

it's been done, but never really very well.

would be relatively easy to have a cutoff microswitch tripped by a follower protrusion on a midcap but next to impossible for hicaps.

the market just doesn't care enough, i mean the amount of people who still run nimh for gods sake.

43 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I think the likes of recoil and systema platforms (these are the only guns I've had most experience with) have got the best middle ground of a workable bolt lock but without the moving parts of a physical bolt locking back.

With the ARES EBB, it's the only (other than some finish issues) thing that bothers me, the bolt often stops halfway, or so after firing for a bit, and it doesn't lock back.

And you know, if  AEG isn't a EBB, I get it but with the EBB one would expect that feature to be the logical step, and all you'd need is a U shaped follower with one side of the "bolt" having a prong to catch on it.

Even easier with a mosfet, you just have a button and a wire the protrusion contacts with and the coding does the rest. 

24 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

mean the amount of people who still run nimh for gods sake.

There's an alternative? 

3 minutes ago, Vulpiness said:

With the ARES EBB, it's the only (other than some finish issues) thing that bothers me, the bolt often stops halfway, or so after firing for a bit, and it doesn't lock back.

And you know, if  AEG isn't a EBB, I get it but with the EBB one would expect that feature to be the logical step, and all you'd need is a U shaped follower with one side of the "bolt" having a prong to catch on it.

Even easier with a mosfet, you just have a button and a wire the protrusion contacts with and the coding does the rest.

As @Adolf Hamster said the market just doesn't want it. plenty of platforms that replicate an actual bolt going back without having to mechanically do so... if it aint broke don't fix it.

6 hours ago, Vulpiness said:

Am I missing something here?  

Not really, airsoft isn't that innovative and lags behind the curve quite considerably. The R/C lot were using lipos a decade before anyone in the airsoft world thought they would be a good idea par example.  Most AEG manufacturers are essentially still using a copy of Maruis patent design from the 1990's.  They might catch up eventually but now the market is dominated by the chinese  instead of the japanese we might not be that lucky.

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah man, NiCad is a thing now, massive performance boosts

1 hour ago, E21A said:

Do you live under a rock? 

No, I'm just a friking dumbass. I google Nimh, get nothing, google nimh airsoft, see a picture of a batteie, go, an" alternative to batteries wtf?"

Me is much intelligence.  

34 minutes ago, Vulpiness said:

No, I'm just a friking dumbass. I google Nimh, get nothing, google nimh airsoft, see a picture of a batteie, go, an" alternative to batteries wtf?"

Me is much intelligence.  

Google lipo and join us in this century 

Don't the TM EBB Scars do something like this? I'm sure when I borrowed a mates there was a confusing couple of minutes where I'd just put a fresh mag in and it wouldn't shoot, he leaned over, hit the release catch and it started firing again.

It's more complication to go wrong and begs for problems as you cheapen it as a feature.

34 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Don't the TM EBB Scars do something like this? I'm sure when I borrowed a mates there was a confusing couple of minutes where I'd just put a fresh mag in and it wouldn't shoot, he leaned over, hit the release catch and it started firing again.

It's more complication to go wrong and begs for problems as you cheapen it as a feature.

The TM EBBs cycle the bolt on firing I think but  I don't remember the bolt locking back but you do need to use the bolt release after reloading a dry mag. I'm sure a TM EBB owner will weigh in soon. 

More and more higher end aegs are doing it. The problem is the easiest way to do it requires proprietary magsnwhich is a turn off for a lot of people who have already invested in the mags they need. It's less of an issue for non M4 platforms since if you have a gun that needs a special mag anyway why not make it a feature 

5 hours ago, E21A said:

Google lipo and join us in this century 

ddin't need to, cam up when I googleed NiCad. :P and i was like, oh.....  

14 hours ago, Steveocee said:

14 hours ago, Musica said:

The TM EBBs cycle the bolt on firing I think but  I don't remember the bolt locking back but you do need to use the bolt release after reloading a dry mag. I'm sure a TM EBB owner will weigh in soon. 

22 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Bolt lock is nothing new really, Shame more platforms don't use it (saying that I can imagine the amount of people that would then think their gun is broken because its stopped firing) all GBBR's have this function and pistols as you say. would be a bit harder for a physical bolt to lock back on an AEG unless of course you count the GBLS or whatever its called which is a hybrid of an AEG and GBBR.

8 hours ago, Musica said:

Heres a new feature coming auto mag dropping. You know your out of bbs because your mags no longer in your gun.

I can honestly not think of a more stupid and useless idea. Great way to lose mags 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

I can honestly not think of a more stupid and useless idea. Great way to lose mags 

it's a 3-gun thing, saves you those .01s split times you'd otherwise spend tediously pressing the mag release button.

meanwhile in the real world mag change speeds aren't as relevant as being able to keep a hold of them, it's the reason i preferr the makarov's heel release to a gamer style button, at least the makarov has a very high chance the mag will still be in the gun when i need it.

1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

Imagine seeing your enemys mag drop out of his gun. Priceless.

Archived