How do people line up their red dot?

El aston
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

14 minutes ago, Skara said:

Mine are zeroed for 30 metres, they're just for quick reference as I correct according to where bbs go. Without any wind they're pretty much bang on, but I use .20s and .25s, no point in using anything heavier with a 1J limit.

Same for my sniper, I zero at 30m using .30s and Kentucky windage (and elevation at this point :P) every follow up shot.

Zeroing an optic for airsoft isn't rocket science, it is pretty straightforward, you just need to understand how the hop up affects the bb trajectory.

I seen a lot of videos showing 0.28s at 1j.  Put one below. Might be your gun doesn't get on with higher weight for sure as they couldn't hop .30s with stock components. 

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

*triggered*

there is a benefit to heavier ammo especially at a 1j limit, it'll fly farther, hit harder, and be much more likely to punch through light foliage than lighter ammo.

try dropping .3's in your rifles and see what i mean, and get some .4's in that sniper!

Based on that video he would struggle with .3s. Might need a new hop rubber minimum maybe a flat hop 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Musica said:

Based on that video he would struggle with .3s. Might need a new hop rubber minimum maybe a flat hop 

you say that like it's a bad thing to have to flathop a gun :P

19 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you say that like it's a bad thing to have to flathop a gun :P

Don't mean it to be a negative just it's not what 90% of people will be running? I really want to see tests done on 1j guns from stock hop to flat to r hop to see what type of FPS increase is gained from less pressure needing to be applied to get the back spin. Ideally all on the same barrel. 

To contribute to the thread make sure you sight your hop with the BB weight you will be using before trying to zero your sights. If you swap weight your hop will be off but if you fix your hop your zero shouldn't change as you should be zeroed for the straight BBs. 

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Musica said:

Don't mean it to be a negative just it's not what 90% of people will be running? I really want to see tests done on 1j guns from stock hop to flat to r hop to see what type of FPS increase is gained from less pressure needing to be applied to get the back spin. Ideally all on the same barrel. 

from experience it's negligible, however you will get significant boosts in accuracy and range if you combine it with a heavier bb.

flathopping is pretty easy to do so i don't see a problem with reccommending people do it, rhopping can be a bit trickier but you do get excellent results.

My main AEG is flat hopped with a prommy purple bucking, my tournament gun has also a prommy purple (not flat hopped though).

0.20s because..Errr...Because...

Because my local shop doesn't have any good heavy bbs, as most people just buy .20s, so he stocks trash bbs for plebs and G&Gs for us.

Next time I stop by him I'm gonna ask if he orders a carton of .25/.28s just for me :P

• Supporters

What @Iceni said ! Next thing you know players will be complaining they missed the shot because they were using heavier ammo and gravity was effected because Pluto has entered Uranus so that ruined there shot ! 😳

My recoil fires at 340 FPS. I run .36-.40’s in it outdoors with great results. It’s all about the setup.

13 hours ago, Iceni said:

Parallax causing inaccuracies with a red dot in airsoft. I doubt highly this is the OP's problem.

The reason for that is simple. Airsoft isn't accurate enough. You can't do shot on shot placement even at close ranges.

You will see it in target shooting circles at close ranges. The air rifle market, for example, is capable of shot on shot placement at 50yards, but most scopes have parallax set for 100yards. So at 50 yards unless you reset the scope's front element you may find the target point can wander if you are not bang on with your cheek weld and eye placement down the scope.

And parallax only comes into play when you are away from your parallax setting. If set for 100 yards and you are shooting close to 100 yards it should be bang on. Poor cheek weld and eye placement are not the scope been faulty.

A red dot, however, should be almost free of this. And even if it has poor parallax it should not be spot-able over the trajectory of a bb.

What is common is people set the dot up on a target that is too close, Or mount it incorrectly. And don't understand how a BB flies.

Hopup+flightpath.jpg

Even with the scope perfect. Range will show more of this deviation. At the end of your range even with a perfect BB flight and hop the BB should be over the aim point. There is also the chance that close up the BB might be under the aim point. 

The best action for the OP is to have a chat at his/her local playing field and have one of the marshalls show them the correct way to sight in the optic. And Explain how range will affect the aimpoint.

I have a feeling the OP's gun is over-hopping.

Brilliant post mate described everything for me, would help if i actually went to a game first haha 

You'll also notice in the graphic within Iceni's post there are two zero points. If you know the distances they occur you can adjust for the shots in between (without scope adjustment although in airsoft due to the short ranges and inaccuracy of the ammo it's less relevant but hey-ho).

30 minutes ago, Immortal said:

You'll also notice in the graphic within Iceni's post there are two zero points. If you know the distances they occur you can adjust for the shots in between (without scope adjustment although in airsoft due to the short ranges and inaccuracy of the ammo it's less relevant but hey-ho).

Useful info when dealing with real guns.

I remember a big standard AR15 zeroed at 25m hits dead on at 300 or something like that (may be wrong).

A bit irrelevant when dealing with feather light plastic round bbs, can be useful for target shooting though :)

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, El aston said:

What do you mean by your rise mate

on e21a's diagram it's how far the bb "rises" above the level line.

ie if i shoot level to the ground the bb will go up by 20cm from the height of the barrel before dropping

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

on e21a's diagram it's how far the bb "rises" above the level line.

ie if i shoot level to the ground the bb will go up by 20cm from the height of the barrel before dropping

Cheers man i thought so wanted to double check haha 

On 23/01/2019 at 09:27, Musica said:

I seen a lot of videos showing 0.28s at 1j.  Put one below. Might be your gun doesn't get on with higher weight for sure as they couldn't hop .30s with stock components. 

Thanks for sharing this vid, I'd never done a range test with my 0.3g bbs but if it's as they said I might not both using them and just see if I can find anyone to swap them for 0.28s.

18 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Thanks for sharing this vid, I'd never done a range test with my 0.3g bbs but if it's as they said I might not both using them and just see if I can find anyone to swap them for 0.28s.

Be careful not to take their tests to say your gun won't work well on 0.30gs bbs. You should try to chrono with them and see if your hop is robbing much joule wise as .30s are great if you can hop them. Theres also talk in other threads of cylinders not having enough capacity to push the .30 all the way out of the barrel as it takes more pressure so even if you upgrade your hop rubber you might not see better performance if your cylinder is undervolumed to push a 0.30g.

Take 5 shots at a chrono on 0.20gs and 5 shots with 0.30g with correct hop set(you might even find you can't get a good hop on 0.30gs and won't need to bother). Then compare results to see if your gun is now shooting 0.8j instead of 1.0j. You could gain MORE joules with heavier bbs or less if the gun can't handle it.

Archived