How do people line up their red dot?

El aston
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi just been trying in the garden. I basically lent the gun on a table and shot at the target until it hit the centre (adjusting the clicks every time)  And i got it bang on. Soon as i stood up it was way off lol!! Did i do it right or am i just a sh*** shooter lmao

• Supporters

We're shooting little plastic BBs not bullets so your rounds are going to be effected by wind a lot more. Think of an RDS more of a guide to where you want your shots to go, not where they'll hit. 

Could also be your hop, etc..

10 minutes ago, Gepard said:

We're shooting little plastic BBs not bullets so your rounds are going to be effected by wind a lot more. Think of an RDS more of a guide to where you want your shots to go, not where they'll hit. 

Could also be your hop, etc..

Yeah i hear you mate, plus i havent even been to a game or anything so i don't know how they fire lol.. Thanks for the advice bro

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Could also be your hop, etc..

Speak for yourself, I zero my gun at 30 yards and the BBs hit exactly where the dot is (unless windy).  There's no point having a sight that's not zeroed, might as well just look down the side of the gun and hope. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, jcheeseright said:

Speak for yourself, I zero my gun at 30 yards and the BBs hit exactly where the dot is (unless windy).  There's no point having a sight that's not zeroed, might as well just look down the side of the gun and hope. 

Mine is pretty accurate too at about the same distance. If his rounds aren't hitting where they're supposed to even after zeroing then it sounds more like it's a bit too windy. What weight bbs were you using @El aston?

Agreed.. first set the hop so your B.B. is shooting straight. Then pick a range you want (30m is a good shout) fire a B.B. adjust, fire a B.B. adjust until spot on. 

Just now, Gepard said:

Mine is pretty accurate too at about the same distance. If his rounds aren't hitting where they're supposed to even after zeroing then it sounds more like it's a bit too windy. What weight bbs were you using @El aston?

Well just the ones that came with the gun haha.. Orderd some 0.25's should be with me soon. So will try it then. Like i said it was bang on when i lent on the table

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-dot-sight-with-detachable-quick-release-riser-mount-Rifle-sight/161659114899?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This was the one i got 

• Supporters
Just now, El aston said:

Well just the ones that came with the gun haha.. Orderd some 0.25's should be with me soon. So will try it then. Like i said it was bang on when i lent on the table

Right well I'd imagine those were .2g bbs then, usually not very good quality. Get yourself some blaster .25g and try again. :)

Bench to standing will take some practice as your body position will change.

On my AEG I use the red dot as more of a 'guide' than anything else so I'm not overly concerned if its not zeroed in.

I use a bore sighter, once the hop is correct at a given range, to get an approximate zero, then groupings of five to zero, but I only  compete in Practical competitions or target shoot

• Supporters

If I actually do zero a gun I rest it on a step ladder with a small sand bag on it that way the gun is stable but I can also stand in my regular shooting position so sights/gun and me are all the same as on a game day .👍

23 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

I use a bore sighter, once the hop is correct at a given range, to get an approximate zero, then groupings of five to zero, but I only  compete in Practical competitions or target shoot

There’s bore sighters for Airsoft barrels?

21 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

There’s bore sighters for Airsoft barrels?

Yup. Standard laser bore sighter goes small enough to fit in 6mm. As long as the inner is stable enough in the outer, it works well enough to get an approximate zero, without filling the garden with too many bb’s 👍🏻.

Very cheap as well, Chinese clone, no point in paying through the nose

• Supporters

generally i do it by round observation, i'll have the dot set to the position of a bb at the edge of my vision.

it's worth keeping it zeroed, whilst airsoft does rely on a lot of kentucky windage due to weather conditions etc a dot is a great way of getting that sneaky first shot to hit especially at closer ranges, it also serves as a fixed point to work off when you are doing fire and adjust style of shooting (ie you can say oh i was left by 2 dots width i'll hold that far off)

• Supporters

Check the obvious stuff, that your optic is securely fixed to the rail and isn't wobbling, and that the laser module isn't loose inside it.  No, really, I've now bought two cheap red dots where the actual laser wasn't glued securely in place and lost alignment as soon as I moved the gun.

The point of impact will change due to parallax, for the cheaper red dots you’ve got to zero it exactly the way you’ll be looking down the sight if that makes sense.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

The point of impact will change due to parallax, for the cheaper red dots you’ve got to zero it exactly the way you’ll be looking down the sight if that makes sense.

Didnt think we actually shot at ranges that could be affected by parallax ????

Parallax causing inaccuracies with a red dot in airsoft. I doubt highly this is the OP's problem.

The reason for that is simple. Airsoft isn't accurate enough. You can't do shot on shot placement even at close ranges.

You will see it in target shooting circles at close ranges. The air rifle market, for example, is capable of shot on shot placement at 50yards, but most scopes have parallax set for 100yards. So at 50 yards unless you reset the scope's front element you may find the target point can wander if you are not bang on with your cheek weld and eye placement down the scope.

And parallax only comes into play when you are away from your parallax setting. If set for 100 yards and you are shooting close to 100 yards it should be bang on. Poor cheek weld and eye placement are not the scope been faulty.

A red dot, however, should be almost free of this. And even if it has poor parallax it should not be spot-able over the trajectory of a bb.

What is common is people set the dot up on a target that is too close, Or mount it incorrectly. And don't understand how a BB flies.

Hopup+flightpath.jpg

Even with the scope perfect. Range will show more of this deviation. At the end of your range even with a perfect BB flight and hop the BB should be over the aim point. There is also the chance that close up the BB might be under the aim point. 

The best action for the OP is to have a chat at his/her local playing field and have one of the marshalls show them the correct way to sight in the optic. And Explain how range will affect the aimpoint.

I have a feeling the OP's gun is over-hopping.

Mine are zeroed for 30 metres, they're just for quick reference as I correct according to where bbs go. Without any wind they're pretty much bang on, but I use .20s and .25s, no point in using anything heavier with a 1J limit.

Same for my sniper, I zero at 30m using .30s and Kentucky windage (and elevation at this point :P) every follow up shot.

Zeroing an optic for airsoft isn't rocket science, it is pretty straightforward, you just need to understand how the hop up affects the bb trajectory.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Skara said:

I use .20s and .25s, no point in using anything heavier with a 1J limit.

*triggered*

there is a benefit to heavier ammo especially at a 1j limit, it'll fly farther, hit harder, and be much more likely to punch through light foliage than lighter ammo.

try dropping .3's in your rifles and see what i mean, and get some .4's in that sniper!

Archived