Weapon for Close / Medium Ranges?

Leah
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this.. but could someone recommend me a rifle that's no more than £400? Preferably on a site like Patrol Base where I can use a finance option to pay for it.

Want to get a weapon that will last for some time without me having to upgrade. I'm 21 and 5'3 so nothing too big/heavy. My ground has CQB and longer scenarios, in a forest and quarry type area.

Thank You!

reaches out far is light weight and compact. 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-cz-scorpion-evo-3-a1-2018-revision?pv=7061 

you still need batteries&charger, speed loader or a high cap and bbs before you can pew pew. 

Cheaper options

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/classic-army-nemesis-x9-smg?pv=6765 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-arp-556?pv=5651

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Leah said:

could someone recommend me a rifle that's no more than £400? [for] CQB and longer scenarios

So... pretty much any airsoft gun?

Come on, help us out a bit.  You must have some idea of what platform you'd like, or ones that you definitely don't want.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

So... pretty much any airsoft gun?

Come on, help us out a bit.  You must have some idea of what platform you'd like, or ones that you definitely don't want.

I'm open to any style really. But like I said, nothing too big or heavy.

16 minutes ago, Musica said:

LCT make nice AKs get a folding stock one like https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/lct-tx-s74un-airsoft-gun-aeg  if your wanting AK style.

Thank You, will look into that one further.

42 minutes ago, Musica said:

reaches out far is light weight and compact. 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-cz-scorpion-evo-3-a1-2018-revision?pv=7061 

you still need batteries&charger, speed loader or a high cap and bbs before you can pew pew. 

Cheaper options

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/classic-army-nemesis-x9-smg?pv=6765 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-arp-556?pv=5651

Thanks for the suggestions, I noticed the Evo 3 previously but wasn't sure if it would be good at longer ranges. I guess it is then? 

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Musica said:

LCT make nice AKs get a folding stock one like https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/lct-tx-s74un-airsoft-gun-aeg  if your wanting AK style.

whilst i like the shout for a nice aksu can we have less of this tactical heresy ;)

in all seriousness though, a folding stock aksu is a very handy little rifle, ergonomically it just feels more and more right the longer you use it, it'll be short enough for cqb but has more than enough oomph when set up right for outdoor work.

Maybe wait till the VFC mp7 AEG comes out? Good performance, super compact, nice and light.

Most guns shoot the same out of the box. Things like TM recoils have that extra bit of edge, but it’s not night and day.

youre gonna have virtually the same performance in terms of range from a £150 ICS sportsline (plastic bodied) m4 as you are with a £350 ASG scorpion. If you could get to a shop or know somebody with a couple you can hold and fiddle about with to figure out what style you find most comfortable, that would be ideal. 

Things like bullpups feel much lighter because all of the weight is between the shoulder and the firing hand, but some people hate the mag changes.

I would definitely consider a sling whatever you do decide. Taking the weight off your arms between firefights or getting game briefs makes a big difference. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Leah said:

I noticed the Evo 3 previously but wasn't sure if it would be good at longer ranges.

It be.

If you're thinking that you need a long barrel for long range, think again.  Airsoft guns only do three things: puff, spin, and point.

For actual range, all you need is energy (puff) and backspin.  A BB that emerges with 1.13J (350fps x 0.2g) of energy and sufficient backspin for its mass will go exactly the same distance as any other BB with that mass, speed and backspin.  It really does not know or care what happened before it left the barrel.

For accurate range (which means consistency), yes, the barrel matters, but not as much as you'd imagine.  With the exception of trick barrels like CrazyJets, all airsoft barrels are just smooth tubes.  They don't add accuracy by spinning the BB like a rifled barrel would.  All they're doing is guiding it until it stops wobbling from being squeezed through the hop, and keeping it in the column of air from the piston or gas discharge until its picked up the desired amount of energy.  You don't need much barrel for that, especially with a piston behind it.

I was surprised by how well my cheap MP5K shot even with a stock 110mm 6.08mm aluminium sloppy bore barrel.  With a ZCI 6.03mm stainless steel one (and a maple leaf hop rubber), its consistency exceeds my ability.

tl;dr version - the Evo is a good shout if you have the budget for it.  But then £150 worth of G&G CM16 will shoot pretty darn well too if you get a good one.

Do bear in mind that they're all still toy guns at the end of the day though, so don't expect miracles.  And be prepared to spend on heavy weight BBs if you want to get your money's worth out of your gun.

16 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

virtually the same performance in terms of range from a £150 ICS sportsline (plastic bodied) m4 as you are with a £350 ASG scorpion.

Then whats the reason to get a more expensive one? just the looks?

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

tl;dr version - the Evo is a good shout if you have the budget for it.  But then £150 worth of G&G CM16 will shoot pretty darn well too if you get a good one.

Thanks for the info :) 

36 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

whilst i like the shout for a nice aksu can we have less of this tactical heresy ;)

in all seriousness though, a folding stock aksu is a very handy little rifle, ergonomically it just feels more and more right the longer you use it, it'll be short enough for cqb but has more than enough oomph when set up right for outdoor work.

sorry fixed it https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/lct-lcks74un-nv-aeg-airsoft-gun 

Your budget of £400 is enough for almost any airsoft gun excluding the extremely high end guns. 

The evo is full plastic so is light weight will shoot just as far as everyone else.  

I've avoided pointing out G&G CM16 as they run a bit long for my liking for a CQB focus'd weapon the ARP 556 is pretty much a G&G CM16 in a shorter package. 

I haven't seen many scientific tests but barrel length doesn't appear to matter in airsoft from what I've been reading so your not losing anything with a short gun. 

18 minutes ago, Leah said:

Then whats the reason to get a more expensive one? just the looks?

More realism ie. trades, blowback action

Better/stronger materials ie. metal rather than polymer or aluminium rather than pot-metal

Better internals: Motor, hop, barrel and gears. (Longer lasting)

Usually the more expensive internals means more accuracy and range but cheaper guns can still do quite well.

Cheaper guns can have internals upgraded but if not done properly the results can be worse than originally.

To echo above, you’re paying for things like micro switch triggers, fancy rails and specific models. In Airsoft 90% of the cost is cool factor.

with Airsoft almost all of the range and accuracy comes from the hop up rubber, and that’s generally the cheapest upgrade to do. I bought my brother a £90 JG g36c and put a £10 maple leaf rubber in it and it shot just as well as my old TM recoil scar H (£500). It just didn’t have the fancy recoil and the general cool factor 

12 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

To echo above, you’re paying for things like micro switch triggers, fancy rails and specific models. In Airsoft 90% of the cost is cool factor.

with Airsoft almost all of the range and accuracy comes from the hop up rubber, and that’s generally the cheapest upgrade to do. I bought my brother a £90 JG g36c and put a £10 maple leaf rubber in it and it shot just as well as my old TM recoil scar H (£500). It just didn’t have the fancy recoil and the general cool factor 

From my research after hop rubber barrel quality (not specifically the diameter like a tight bore but the actual quality on the finish inside) seem to be the biggest factors here. But if your air seals in your gearbox aren't solid and you get inconsistent fps. The best barrel and hop can't send them through consistently if they don't receive them the same way. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Musica said:

that's better, carry on.....

1 hour ago, Musica said:

I haven't seen many scientific tests but barrel length doesn't appear to matter in airsoft from what I've been reading so your not losing anything with a short gun. 

it doesn't really unless you're at real extremes, there are much more important factors for accuracy than length alone like the correct volume and consistency of air, the right hop unit and a good quality barrel.

I can't really add much more to the great advice above other than what I consider the most important. 

Just try things you like the look off and then choose what feels the best for you. 

For at the end of the day how it feels and looks is what sets them apart. 

Happy hunting

Archived