Is it possible to switch out a folding stock with a fixed stock on the AK platform?

Gepard
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm seeing plenty of AKs up for sale at the moment but none of them appeal to me appearance wise. They all have rails, or folding stocks. No sir, I like the classic look with the nice wooden handguard and stock!

So I'm used to AR platforms. No idea what the inside of an AK would look like. Just wondering if it would be possible to swap out the folding stock on say a CYMA AKMS to a fixed stock, or is this just simply not possible due to how it's constructed? This would open up a bunch more listings currently up for sale on all the usual websites that I could buy from. 

They make conversion plates/adapters, but you have to match the plate to the AK body. Not all AK bodies are the same shape at the stock end.

You don't remove anything other than the stock. At the back of an AK is a set of prongs and a block that sit on/in the stock to hold it solid. The adapter bolts into the same prongs/block, and has the buffer tube attachment at the back.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/products/rifle-accessories/ak-to-ar-stock-adapter.html

You have to be 100% on the model of AK body. I would avoid the ones with the sloped rear section, going for the AK74 rear instead of the AK47.

You want a regular stock version, The folding variants have a blanked rear. And the adapter needs the prongs that the regular stock uses.

47 style (note the angle of the stock attachment).
AK-47_assault_rifle.jpg

74 style

image.png

The 2 body styles also get interchanged a fair bit, so you want to look at the gun rather than the model.

If you get the right base model it'll make your life a lot easier.

Fire Support are doing LCT AKMs for £250 which is an absolute bargain.  A CYMA AKM will cost you £180 ish and whilst good isn't as good as the LCT.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Fire Support are doing LCT AKMs for £250 which is an absolute bargain.  A CYMA AKM will cost you £180 ish and whilst good isn't as good as the LCT.

I've heard they're great but I've got my eye on the CM 048M. TaiwanGun had then at £130 couple weeks ago so I reckon I could snag one used for about £100.

Besides.. Already have too many guns as it is. Don't need to drop another few hundred on another! :lol:

A used CYMA AK will have been abused more than a Catholic Choirboy so be careful

A Romanian AIMS style one AFAIK will allow you to switch between regular and folding stocks as the tang on the receiver is the same.

Believe its a CYMA 050 if I recall correctly.

• Supporters

Currently looking at a CM048S on Used Airsoft that's £100 with 5 mags+5 damaged plus a battery so it's what started the whole thread. It's not what I want but I am tempted, I admit. Only 40m drive too! 

Looking at the backplate it's just a block. 

There's more going on there than just a block.

You have a hole either side of the receiver for the stock swivel points. 

Then the block with be fixed into the lower in some way. Probably screws from the top and bottom. Hidden under the top cover and flush to the bottom of the lower.

The problem been that even if you could find the correct block that directly adapts to the AR stock you still have the 2 holes to blank, and no guarantees that the new block will screw in the same fashion, or even be the same dimensions (you are right on top of the gearbox). This is airsoft after all. If you do have to redrill the block you will also have to cut new threads for the fixing bolts. It could rapidly turn from a simple project into a money and time sink. And when you are done you have an ugly gun you can't resell.

The safest bet IMO would be one of those blocks that directly fits onto the existing AK stock mount. That way you can look and if it's not going to fit send it back, without chewing a gun to bits in the process. It doesn't devalue the gun at all. And you can sell the gun standard since no modifications were done, Or with both stocks and the adapter. Either way, it's not a total loss on outlay.

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Iceni said:

There's more going on there than just a block.

You have a hole either side of the receiver for the stock swivel points. 

Then the block with be fixed into the lower in some way. Probably screws from the top and bottom. Hidden under the top cover and flush to the bottom of the lower.

The problem been that even if you could find the correct block that directly adapts to the AR stock you still have the 2 holes to blank, and no guarantees that the new block will screw in the same fashion, or even be the same dimensions (you are right on top of the gearbox). This is airsoft after all. If you do have to redrill the block you will also have to cut new threads for the fixing bolts. It could rapidly turn from a simple project into a money and time sink. And when you are done you have an ugly gun you can't resell.

The safest bet IMO would be one of those blocks that directly fits onto the existing AK stock mount. That way you can look and if it's not going to fit send it back, without chewing a gun to bits in the process. It doesn't devalue the gun at all. And you can sell the gun standard since no modifications were done, Or with both stocks and the adapter. Either way, it's not a total loss on outlay.

Honestly once something pops up in the Classifieds I'd probably end up selling it anyway. Wouldn't bother modifying it. As the AKMS doesn't have a sight mount I'd want to swap out the receiver as well to fit an optic. 

You're right in that it would be more effort than it's worth, so I reckon I could get my money back once I find something better. Just want to get into the AK platform and see if it's something I like. 

Thanks for the insight! 

You'll like the AK, It's different, the mags are fun ( you roll them in) and they tend to be accurate.

Also V3 gearbox, so they run forever.

Archived