Casual Ghillie suit choices?

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

I have been thinking of getting a occasional use Ghillie suit. Occasional meaning low budget and little effort. 

Basically I am looking for something that will hide my 6,3ft slimmish frame. 

Can anyone recommend something that looks halfway decent or would I need to put proper money into it? What sort of colour should I be aiming for? Any Ebay cheapy specials worth a damn?

Cheers! 

My brother recently bought this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283320420647

He is around 6' tall and athletic build.

Suit is not too bad at all. He is in the middle of the pic below wearing it:

49895727_2297798453585655_380220453848875008_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283320420647

Where? I can’t see him ......

This style is far lighter and will overheat less than a big bush proper ghillie is a good compromise

At one event we had a guy wearing a Jack Pyke suit in this style, the colour scheme perfectedly fitted the season and he would lie down in piles of leaves. All that would give him away were his armband and the chrono pass electrical tape on his barrel

i gave him some advice on arm positioning and removed / replaced his tape to a less obvious position when I next went back to the safe zone!

So i am looking at a few different choices. 

https://gunfire.com/en/products/ghillie-suit-camouflage-suit-set-bcp-maple-leaf-1152209416.html

Low profile, cheap, not alot on it to get caught in bushes. Only problem is that it probably wont arrive in time for this weekend. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kombat-UK-Ghillie-Parka/dp/B00JE6QDUW

I like the idea of a Parka, this particular one is usually sold under the Kombat UK brand. Just not sure if the colour would be great for our woodland. Cheap. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400966325077

Quite a good looking Parka. Again its in the EU so will take a few days to get here. Seems to be quite varied in foliage for the price. 

I’ve just ordered the materials to make my own concealment cape. I’m using as a base the webtex concealment vest and using a cheap amazon leaf suit which will be modified to provided the best camouflage as well as natural and synthetic foliage to properly conceal my shape. Your suit/ghillie must represent the area you play; if you’re in an open area with lots of tall grass a traditional strings ghillie will be better with a greater use of green tones however if you’re in a dense woodland with a lot of dead leaves and bushes you’ll be better off with a leaf suit using more brown tones to replicate the woodland floor. Check out the sniper ops Facebook group as there’s a lot of info on there about camouflage and how to craft your suit to provide the best result.

7 minutes ago, DopeYourScope said:

I’ve just ordered the materials to make my own concealment cape. I’m using as a base the webtex concealment vest and using a cheap amazon leaf suit which will be modified to provided the best camouflage as well as natural and synthetic foliage to properly conceal my shape. Your suit/ghillie must represent the area you play; if you’re in an open area with lots of tall grass a traditional strings ghillie will be better with a greater use of green tones however if you’re in a dense woodland with a lot of dead leaves and bushes you’ll be better off with a leaf suit using more brown tones to replicate the woodland floor. Check out the sniper ops Facebook group as there’s a lot of info on there about camouflage and how to craft your suit to provide the best result.

I play a completely new site every two weeks :D

20 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Hello all. 

I have been thinking of getting a occasional use Ghillie suit. Occasional meaning low budget and little effort. 

Basically I am looking for something that will hide my 6,3ft slimmish frame. 

Can anyone recommend something that looks halfway decent or would I need to put proper money into it? What sort of colour should I be aiming for? Any Ebay cheapy specials worth a damn?

Cheers! 

Leaf suit is basically a ready made ghillie. 

Why you want to look like the laird's groundskeeper is beyond me tho. 

A friend of mine has been making one and has come to the conclusion a full suit is pointless and super hot. He’s gone with a hood and cape that’s a couple of foot long.  They only really work when you’re crouched or prone, so there’s no need for anything much past your waist or over your torso really, as when shouldering the rifle that’s not really exposed. 

9 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I play a completely new site every two weeks :D

I understand that, you want to craft it in a way that you can "modify" it when you get to each site. unfortunately an effective ghillie/suit is not a one for all type of thing; it's something that may have to be completely overhauled 4 times a year (for each season).

This is the guy we had in the pic below 

He wasn’t inclined to hide in one spot and stay put, he had a good practical balance between running about and hiding in spots depending on what fitted at the time.

A key thing often forgotten is movement, being still and line of sight

If you are still and non threatening you could be in sight but not ‘seen’ as the threat is registered elsewhere - this can work in jeans & a t shirt whilst others dressed in camouflage are identified 

When you are looking directly at a scene you can miss the obvious, but look away and your peripheral vision will pick out what doesn’t fit

3C82FF83-69EF-4318-832B-9B3D09B0A4AD.jpeg.cc96e5d559853154912aaaafbc3fa3c0.jpeg

• Supporters
On 22/01/2019 at 14:05, Wo1f said:

...full suit is pointless and super hot. He’s gone with a hood and cape that’s a couple of foot long.  They only really work when you’re crouched or prone, so there’s no need for anything much past your waist or over your torso really...

It depends on the player. For your friend, it might be the case, for others, it's different.

10 minutes ago, Samurai said:

It depends on the player. For your friend, it might be the case, for others, it's different.

What would be the purpose of ghillie trousers? If you’re stood up there’s a very good chance you’ll be spotted anyway 

• Supporters

How about one of these ? You said your after a ‘casual gillie’ and you can’t get more casual than a onesie or a satin kimono? 😉

DC77F742-5AAB-485F-9433-E053A0F3CE51.jpeg

On 21/01/2019 at 15:40, Dentonboy said:

These leaf suits for the very small price are very good TBH & are as equally effective as some of the more expensive variants (I own a a Jack Pyke LLCS in English Oak which go for around £130). Would definitely start with this, for £17 will serve you as a decent base layer & you can add to it where you see fit.

These are very lightweight as well & will a simple bit of crafting so fatten them out & tailor to your local site

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Wo1f said:

What would be the purpose of ghillie trousers? If you’re stood up there’s a very good chance you’ll be spotted anyway 

I do hide standing upright too. For example next to a tree. Or leaning against the wall of a ditch. For skirmishes I don't wear the ghillie trousers for mobility, but I do when doing full sniping. Different styles, different gear.

Or look at Kicking Mustang here.

50641973_2141692235949699_5588610341748604928_o.thumb.jpg.83f4dd8e7c3a5d0894173d799451e257.jpg

Well on the basis that piles of leaves don’t hump trees... that’s quite clearly a person. 

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Well on the basis that piles of leaves don’t hump trees... that’s quite clearly a Bush wookie.

Corrected for ya👍🏻

2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Well on the basis that piles of leaves don’t hump trees... that’s quite clearly a person. 

The obvious sign is the armband, next there is the question of why the Bush is up a tree

But it doesn’t have to make you invisible to the eye, just less obvious.  

Looking directly at the tree, there is something wrong with the view, walking through the woods not everyone is really looking 

It’s a pretty rubbish ambush position, it could take a few seconds to be spotted which would be wasted when you raise your gun but still get shot for moving before it’s raised.

The ‘average’ person not looking at the fine detail can be fooled and get shot as they pass

Archived