Ares Amoeba Striker AS-01/AS-02 Owners Thread

Solly4568
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Cool. Plan is to fit the original hop unit as soon as he manages to find it! Any recommendations on rubbers? I did suggest he get a better inner barrel so vsr rubbers would be an option.

Either get a crazy jet barrel or de-bridge the standard barrel and use a maple leaf MR hop rubber. Works a treat with the gunsmithy arm and nub 

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Cool. Plan is to fit the original hop unit as soon as he manages to find it! Any recommendations on rubbers? I did suggest he get a better inner barrel so vsr rubbers would be an option.

In regard to the double feeding is he still using the standard hop up bucking? I know that I have had some serious problems with those in the past especially with the upgraded hop unit. Now on to problem at hand I may be wrong but I don't think you can put VSR barrels in with the standard hop unit but don't hold me to that. Depending on the FPS that it is putting out I would put in a Maple Leaf Deception bucking at around 60 to 70° In my own striker which is running dead 500 FPS I have a 65° bucking along with a panther concave nub and a Maple leaf dual bore barrel and that gives me accurate shots out to 100m.

Hope this helps 

5 minutes ago, Solly4568 said:

Now on to problem at hand I may be wrong but I don't think you can put VSR barrels in with the standard hop unit but don't hold me to that.

the standard barrel is a VSR cut, so any VSR barrel will fit in the standard hop unit. 

It’s AEG springs they use, not barrels. 

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Solly4568 said:

In regard to the double feeding is he still using the standard hop up bucking? I know that I have had some serious problems with those in the past especially with the upgraded hop unit. Now on to problem at hand I may be wrong but I don't think you can put VSR barrels in with the standard hop unit but don't hold me to that. Depending on the FPS that it is putting out I would put in a Maple Leaf Deception bucking at around 60 to 70° In my own striker which is running dead 500 FPS I have a 65° bucking along with a panther concave nub and a Maple leaf dual bore barrel and that gives me accurate shots out to 100m.

Hope this helps 

Despite having been told that a ML rubber had been fitted by the shop that put the aa hop in it is still running the original rubber and barrel. He's getting around 460-470 fps currently. 

13 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Despite having been told that a ML rubber had been fitted by the shop that put the aa hop in it is still running the original rubber and barrel. He's getting around 460-470 fps currently. 

If it's still under warranty I would send it back and get them to do it properly. But if not I would give the upgraded hop unit a go with the ML bucking to see if that makes a difference

44 minutes ago, E21A said:

the standard barrel is a VSR cut, so any VSR barrel will fit in the standard hop unit. 

It’s AEG springs they use, not barrels

Aaa yeah thanks mate 👍

On 31/05/2019 at 15:48, Solly4568 said:

peg

What's up guys,

I have a problem with my AS02:

- Maple Leaf 6.04mm Crazy Jet VSR

- Maple Leaf Omega Hop Up Tensioner - schwarz

- Maple Leaf 70° "MR Hop" GBB / VSR Hop Up Bucking

- Ares SP550 C.P.S.B. Spring

- Action Army CNC Aluminium Hop Up-Chamber

- Ares C.P.S.B. Spring Cylinder

This is my current setup. What baffles me about it is that with the MR Hop my airseal is REALLY bad (basically nonexistent). With the stock Bucking I can hold my finger on the tip basically all day and it stays in. Anyone got a lead as to why that is?

• Supporters

Maple leaf buckings' QC is lacking lately. You should try some other, like the new Modify one. I heard good things about it. I personally use Flamingo.

I'd use softer one, 60, maybe 50, depending on the weight you use.

May I suggest to apply a small section of heat shrink to the cylinder head?

I assume the leak happens between that and the hop rubber lips because I guess the latter are a tad too large.

Or a dental floss mod (a really old school trick to have more consistent hop and a bit more air seal)

Alright, thanks you two! I'll try out the heatshrink mod first since I have some laying around. But if that doesn't work I'll try the other Buckings. Do they work with the Crazy Jet? I'm using .43g currently, would 60 be better for that weight?

It's more of a temperature/energy output matter.

I run a 50 and it lifts 0.4s just fine, but I am limited to 1J so I stick to 0.30s

If you live in a cold area a softer rubber (50-60) is recommended over a harder one (75+)

After all you're not going full auto at 50 rps chewing through it in a matter of days.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave Maple Leaf a second chance with a 50 Decepticon and now the airseal holds up perfectly. I'm glad that I don't have to do any of the mods, but i thank y'all for the suggestions. Can't wait to go play with it again!

One Problem holds up however. The AA Hop Up Chamber always loses a bit of its material when the cylinderhead goes into it. Is there any way I can fix that or is it even that big of a problem? The Bucking always has a bit of an aluminum shaving "ring" on the outside after I fire a few rounds through it.

38 minutes ago, Hinuga said:

One Problem holds up however. The AA Hop Up Chamber always loses a bit of its material when the cylinderhead goes into it. Is there any way I can fix that or is it even that big of a problem? The Bucking always has a bit of an aluminum shaving "ring" on the outside after I fire a few rounds through it.

I would give it a small bit of a sand just to remove the paint but apart from that you should be golden, just make sure to clean your hop rubber regularly and it should all be good 

On 22/02/2020 at 17:52, Lozart said:

Seems I have a similar mate.

He's had the AA hop chamber fitted and a stronger spring. Now the bolt is super tough to pull and the BBs either get chopped or double feed depending on the adjustment of the BB stoppers. If I get the stoppers to actually not double feed the nozzle doesn't seem to want to seat forward properly. Is there any way to fix this beyond putting the original hop unit back in?

I had this problem. The aa hop chamber was sitting too high and my cylinder scraped its way inside and chopped my bbs a little. I loosened the feed tube, pushed the cylinder in and then retightened

• 1 month later...

Airsoftpro piston (+ useless spring and a nice bearing spring guide) worth anything?

18 minutes ago, Skara said:

Airsoftpro piston (+ useless spring and a nice bearing spring guide) worth anything?

Yeah, I used the Piston for ages until I got one of the bespoke airsoft ones. Works well with a good air seal and smooth pull. The spring guide is also very nice and I am still using it but a word to the wise, if you where to get it I would put some lock tight on to the threads of the spring guide as it has an annoying habit of unscrewing and messing up the cylinder.

Hope this helps

I'll probably not even use it tbf.

With a SP100 I get right on the 1J limit with the stock setup, the bearing spring guide will up it too much, unless I put something like a cut down SP90.

Will order as soon as I get to the office :)

Hi All,

Am looking at getting into airsoft sniping and am interested in the AS01, however looking at all the reviews and upgrades people do. Is it worth just starting with the AS02. I personally prefer the look of the AS01 longer barrel just looks more like a sniper. The site i go to has a limit of 500fps.

Is it possible to have a good gun with the standard length barrel.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, AJ_WORSELL said:

Hi All,

Am looking at getting into airsoft sniping and am interested in the AS01, however looking at all the reviews and upgrades people do. Is it worth just starting with the AS02. I personally prefer the look of the AS01 longer barrel just looks more like a sniper. The site i go to has a limit of 500fps.

Is it possible to have a good gun with the standard length barrel.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome.

I'd say not possible to get a 01 without throwing an incredible amount of cash at EdGI parts I'm afraid.

The 02 fixes some of the issues the 01 has (90° sears and piston, less crappy locking pin, better cylinder to barrel volume ratio).

It still needs some TLC to turn it into a good gun (stock cylinder is still crap, hop rubber is nothing special and will break after very little use, AA hop wheel is mandatory for good consistent pressure).

But one thing you could do, if you have access to a 3d printer, is to buy the 02 and do the usual upgrades, but instead of dishing out for its dedicated suppressor you could simply buy a 01 outer barrel (i'm sure there is plenty to choose from, as most 01 users shortened down their guns to fix the air volume) and design, print/mill a barrel spacer + baffle chamber.

This will allow you to run the longer 550mm outer barrel with a 300mm inner, and use the remaining outer barrel lenght as an integrated suppressor.

Win-Win really. You get the look you want and still have a perfectly functional gun :)

8 minutes ago, Skara said:

Hi and welcome.

I'd say not possible to get a 01 without throwing an incredible amount of cash at EdGI parts I'm afraid.

The 02 fixes some of the issues the 01 has (90° sears and piston, less crappy locking pin, better cylinder to barrel volume ratio).

It still needs some TLC to turn it into a good gun (stock cylinder is still crap, hop rubber is nothing special and will break after very little use, AA hop wheel is mandatory for good consistent pressure).

But one thing you could do, if you have access to a 3d printer, is to buy the 02 and do the usual upgrades, but instead of dishing out for its dedicated suppressor you could simply buy a 01 outer barrel (i'm sure there is plenty to choose from, as most 01 users shortened down their guns to fix the air volume) and design, print/mill a barrel spacer + baffle chamber.

This will allow you to run the longer 550mm outer barrel with a 300mm inner, and use the remaining outer barrel lenght as an integrated suppressor.

Win-Win really. You get the look you want and still have a perfectly functional gun :)

Thank you for all the info. I will look into this.

Do you happen to know where the upgraded cylinder kit maybe in stock as cant find anywhere.

Thank tou

Edited by AJ_WORSELL

• 3 weeks later...

Guys.

Lockdown is fucking me up pretty bad :(

I'm thinking of turning my 02 into a kneecapper..

Does anyone know where I can find the short outer barrel and handguard without having to buy an AS03?

Hummm after having a look around I don't think you can buy the parts outright. But I think that if you where to contact Bespoke Airsoft they might be able to help you with that. They are producing a line of kneecappers and Mad Max guns and they might still have some spare parts. It's always worth a try.

Hope this helps

8 hours ago, Skara said:

Guys.

Lockdown is fucking me up pretty bad :(

I'm thinking of turning my 02 into a kneecapper..

Does anyone know where I can find the short outer barrel and handguard without having to buy an AS03?

No. No no no. No. No

Why not? :(

Hi guys, I recently bought an AS01, second hand, to get me started on sniping. It's had some upgrades, some done rather poorly, but I've managed to tinker and get it firing consistently. Main issue I'm having is that the bolt handle doesn't want to return home fully once cocked, not without some elbow grease to return it down. Seems to sit about 2mm further back than it should, still fires fine and once fired the bolts sits back down again where it should be. The only case of this I've been able to find was on youtube (link below) its around the 35 second mark that you'll see the same issue I'm having with the bolt, but the guy who posted the video annoyingly doesn't explain how he fixes the problem, or has replied to any of the comments asking! (Grrrr)

The upgrades that have been done as far as I can see are:

Upgraded steel cylinder set

CPSB steel spring guide

CPSB Amoeba piston

Lycan Romeo sear

Lycan trigger

Everything else is stock I believe, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.