Waterproof Jacket

SgtTalbert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

My google skills are most likely lacking on this as I cannot find anything that states 'waterproof' rather just 'water resistant.

I cannot seem to find any MC waterproof jackets that are not 'bulky'. I am looking for a waterproof layer such as this - https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Craghoppers_Mens_Fenton_Jacket/?SelectedItem=750427&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid-social&utm_campaign=BLACKFRIDAY_1118_OGB&fbclid=IwAR17oWs-40BsUwOHBezOegnEx-O9soK3P9yu_-UW1WhkszPhVrb3iWE6Fcc.

I'd rather wear layers and then the waterproof layer on top should I need and the fact its only a small jacket, I can stuff in my rear pack. However, most of the 'tactical' waterproof jackets, are big and bulky due to the layers already built into the jacket.

Am I the only one who wants this style of jacket or are my Google skills very lacking?

• Supporters

Look for MTP PCS waterproof jacket , it’ll fit your needs . 

do you have any army surplus stores around you?  I picked up a rain mac for £6, that i have in my kit to go over my soft shell (which is mosty warterproof any way) for when it gets super wet.

Its thin and light weight and lets you not worry about a bulky coat.

Might not be tacticool but who cares if your not getting wet

51rDrAO2MgL.jpg.954be4832dd3c40e2a5182ae1f646d1b.jpg

Make sure you get something breathable.  I would steer away from MOD Issue Goretex tbh - it will make you sweat like a paedo in a playground.  I am yet to see anyone use it as well.  I usually just chuck my smock on over a Buffalo/Softie over my normal combat shirt.  If I get wet, I get wet but stay warm thanks to the Buffalo/Softie.

Softshells aren't waterproof. They're just DWR coated. not even taped seams, once water makes its way through the seams you'll be drenched in a matter of seconds.

Since you're in the UK, have a look at the MTP Gore-Tex shells, they're extremely cheap (£30 at most) and they are proper waterproof jackets.

I have a surplus MVP jacket in DPM, it's meant to be worn under BDUs to reduce the noise but it's a proper waterproof membrane, and i got it for around €40 at the local fair. Works wonders, although a little noisy when moving around.

I also have some Gore-Tex jackets i use when hiking or camping, but they're €300+ each and in bright colours :P

As @Skara said above really, there is no such thing as breathable and waterproof (with the exception of gortex with vent zips under the armpits if you want to class that as breathable) I have numerous gortex jackets all with the vent zips which allow you to not over heat/sweat too much so if you find something have a look to make sure they have vent zips if you go 100% waterproof

35 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Make sure you get something breathable.  I would steer away from MOD Issue Goretex tbh - it will make you sweat like a paedo in a playground.  I am yet to see anyone use it as well.  I usually just chuck my smock on over a Buffalo/Softie over my normal combat shirt.  If I get wet, I get wet but stay warm thanks to the Buffalo/Softie.

I wouldn't use a softie as an underlayer, because if that does get wet it's useless, where the buffalo as its made from real wool when it's gets wet it still keep some warmth in and will dry with your own body heat. Buffalo over softie any day for me. 

I personally use the 2nd gen mvp jacket (the one with the black lining) it has zip up vents under the arms which help alot but be aware that as with any good waterproof, it can be pretty warm. 

but for the price I haven't really seen anything better. 🙂

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/mtp-combat-waterproof-mvp-smock-1395158.html

47 minutes ago, Keldon said:

I wouldn't use a softie as an underlayer, because if that does get wet it's useless, where the buffalo as its made from real wool when it's gets wet it still keep some warmth in and will dry with your own body heat. Buffalo over softie any day for me. 

I do use a Buffalo - I just added softie in case people weren't aware of what a Buffalo is.  Also, as I am serving I kinda know what works for me already thanks.

As a Dead bird fanatic I can’t help but recommend arcteryx....

on a serious note, like the others said there’s plenty of MTP goretex/paclite jackets what will suit what your after.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Keldon said:

‘Buffalo made from real wool’  ??? It’s synthetic ! 😳

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Supermoose said:

do you have any army surplus stores around you?  I picked up a rain mac for £6, that i have in my kit to go over my soft shell (which is mosty warterproof any way) for when it gets super wet.

Its thin and light weight and lets you not worry about a bulky coat.

Might not be tacticool but who cares if your not getting wet

51rDrAO2MgL.jpg.954be4832dd3c40e2a5182ae1f646d1b.jpg

I would (and do) go with a cheap plastic poncho.  It can be flung on quickly, is more breathable, and here's the thing: if it's really tipping it down then even if you're wearing Gore-Textm from head to toe, most of the rest of the players will be no shows or will find excuses to slink off home, so you're going to have a lonely day.

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

‘Buffalo made from real wool’  ??? It’s synthetic ! 😳

I swear the one I use to have was real wool, but I stand corrected on that. But I still would take buffalo over softie. 

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

I do use a Buffalo - I just added softie in case people weren't aware of what a Buffalo is.  Also, as I am serving I kinda know what works for me already thanks.

Sorry, was just giving my opinion that one is better than the other for others not yourself. As you mentioned both I assumed you knew the difference. But I'm sure you have been told assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups. 👍

Adventure Tech reversible DCU/M81 or DCU/Night Camo. Jackets and trousers available on eBay. Goretex. Cool AF, actually will keep you dry and well worth a look.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Keldon said:

I swear the one I use to have was real wool, but I stand corrected on that. But I still would take buffalo over softie. 

Nope most definitely 100% nylon , why it didn’t hold the moisture , AND I’d take one over any thing else any day as well ! I’ve been on top of the Fan with sleet blowing sideways hard enough it feels like  it’ll peel exposed skin of ya bones but still toasty in my Buffalo , I’ve even got one of there coats as well but word of advice (don’t know if they even make them anymore, mine are all the wrong side of 30!) but if you put the coat on top of the shirt never ever do any kind of physical exercise no matter what the temperature is you will blood cook ! 😳😂😂😂

38 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

Adventure Tech reversible DCU/M81 or DCU/Night Camo. Jackets and trousers available on eBay. Goretex. Cool AF, actually will keep you dry and well worth a look.

I knew there was a reason I liked you. The DCU/M81 would be perfect as would fit 99% of Milsim rules whether OpFor or TF - Danke

6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Nope most definitely 100% nylon , why it didn’t hold the moisture , AND I’d take one over any thing else any day as well ! I’ve been on top of the Fan with sleet blowing sideways hard enough it feels like  it’ll peel exposed skin of ya bones but still toasty in my Buffalo , I’ve even got one of there coats as well but word of advice (don’t know if they even make them anymore, mine are all the wrong side of 30!) but if you put the coat on top of the shirt never ever do any kind of physical exercise no matter what the temperature is you will blood cook ! 😳😂😂😂

I loved my buffalo brought it during basic training had up to the last few years of my military career where it went missing. Still the best bit of warm kit I ever had

As mentioned, MTP Goretex is easy to find on eBay and pretty cheap too.

Have read it may not be hugely breathable though. Not used it myself.

16 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

I miss my adventure tech DCU/night camo gortex, picked up 4 in the sale when they were $30 and sold them for a small profit but kept one up until last year and sold that as well and now i want it back. Shame i cant find the DCU/M81 version for love nor money

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

I miss my adventure tech DCU/night camo gortex, picked up 4 in the sale when they were $30 and sold them for a small profit but kept one up until last year and sold that as well and now i want it back. Shame i cant find the DCU/M81 version for love nor money

Few on eBay mate, that is all I can find tbh!

1 minute ago, Dentonboy said:

Few on eBay mate, that is all I can find tbh!

Yeah they occasionally pop on the sales pages but considering the price stateside people sell them for stupid money, I sold all mine for a little on top of what they cost me to ship but I guess that's my fault for not wanting to take the piss! if you see a DCU/M81 jacket in medium let me know!!!

7 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Cheers Bud, appreciated :)

Sent you a link on Instagram, a nice set of DCU/M81 - auction - and L-S.

Archived