Why is there no cylinder and head AIO?

callsign The fly
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Inform me if I'm being stupid and there is an abvious reason. But why is there no cylinder and cylinder head all in one's? 

If you need a good seal between the cylinder and head, with some people glueing them in, why isn't there a single solid piece that is the cylinder and the head, that way the air can't possibly escape or the head come loose?

Edit: just realised it would be pretty hard to manufacture out of a sturdy material like metal. Would that be the only reason?

I'm just wanting to gain an understanding of everything

• Supporters

in a word: manufacturing, much cheaper to produce a simple tube, then a seperate moulded peice to serve as the piston head.

it's also kind of tricky to get a good surface finish on the inside of a blind hole, not impossible, just harder than an open tube, and that will also cause sealing issues against the piston which kind of defeats the purpose of the aio design.

the existing system is good enough, it's not hard to get a good seal between the 2 components so there's not much motivation to change.

18 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

in a word: manufacturing, much cheaper to produce a simple tube, then a seperate moulded peice to serve as the piston head.

it's also kind of tricky to get a good surface finish on the inside of a blind hole, not impossible, just harder than an open tube, and that will also cause sealing issues against the piston which kind of defeats the purpose of the aio design.

the existing system is good enough, it's not hard to get a good seal between the 2 components so there's not much motivation to change.

That answer pretty much sums it up haha. Thanks

1 hour ago, callsign The fly said:

Inform me if I'm being stupid and there is an abvious reason. But why is there no cylinder and cylinder head all in one's? 

If you need a good seal between the cylinder and head, with some people glueing them in, why isn't there a single solid piece that is the cylinder and the head, that way the air can't possibly escape or the head come loose?

Edit: just realised it would be pretty hard to manufacture out of a sturdy material like metal. Would that be the only reason?

I'm just wanting to gain an understanding of everything

There is. I have one. The SHS One piece Bore up Cylinder/head set. Its currently with a tech going into an SL8 DMR

The reason why it didn't really take off is, although there is no air leakage, it was difficult to make a smooth finish inside the cylinder. It was also quite expensive to purchase. 

Techs don't like working on them because it is hard to set the AOE, installing Sorbo and/or washers into them can be quite hard. After working with my first upgrade Cylinder kit (Guarder set) I don't see the point in a one piece when there is so little air lost in a decent two piece set. 

22 hours ago, Asomodai said:

There is. I have one. The SHS One piece Bore up Cylinder/head set. Its currently with a tech going into an SL8 DMR

The reason why it didn't really take off is, although there is no air leakage, it was difficult to make a smooth finish inside the cylinder. It was also quite expensive to purchase. 

Techs don't like working on them because it is hard to set the AOE, installing Sorbo and/or washers into them can be quite hard. After working with my first upgrade Cylinder kit (Guarder set) I don't see the point in a one piece when there is so little air lost in a decent two piece set. 

Funnily enough I found one about an hour after my post haha

Archived