Recommended Eye Protection?

Leah
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, I want to make sure I get the best eye protection for obvious reasons. I'm currently looking into the V-Tac Sierra, V-Tac Zulu and the ESS v12 Advencer goggles. Does anyone have experience with these? and if so, which would be the best to get? Alternatively, is there someone else that's better or possibly just as good but cheaper. 

Thank You!

Genuine dye i4 is the most common recommendation for good face pro.

If you want goggles I tend to go for Bollé.

I'm quite a fan of the Bollé pilot smoked goggles. You can get them for about £15 a pair. I like the Bollé cobras as well but they tend to sweat quite a bit in summer, So I only use them in winter. I've used Uvex and a few others as well. It's the rating that's important.

Anything with a grade A or B rating should be fine for airsoft. Avoid other ratings or goggles without a rating. The USA's ANSI rating I don't fully understand. Z87.1 is part of the high-velocity impact, but it doesn't define what that actually means. The UK grade system does. A is a small object 0.86g at 190M/s, B is a small object 0.86g at 120M/s (6 Joules).

You need to define "best" for us to give recommendations. 

Glasses, revisions sawfly and a variety of bolle ones. 

Goggles Revision Bullet Ants etc, Oakleys if you have the money, bolle cobra if you want low profile. 

Masks, the dye paintball masks. 

Mesh, Hero shark. 

All have their pros, all have their cons. 

If you want the V-Tac Zulu. Primex  I-force are the original maker and cheaper. Some rave how un-foggable they are but you can. Note there is a small and large size. It's a case of "your mileage may vary" with eye pro. Take all recommendations with a pinch of salt. I've come across people who have managed to fog every single so called un-foggable eyepro. One thing I will say is the only times in 17 years and over 400 games the only times I've seen people shot in the eye in game is due getting in around ill fitting open edge eyepro. Only around 10% resulted in permanent sight damage to some degree usually only minor but it's worth considering. 

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking for a goggle style or glasses style (if they cover the sides etc) to answer the person who ask what I define as "best". Also looking for something that wont fog, or at least not often and relatively small as I don't have a big head. Probably also Clear lenses as I don't see the point of having smoked/yellow?

Polycarb try the slim primex i-force. Good seal , dual pane lens (hopefully less fogging) and low profile.

3 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Polycarb try the slim primex i-force. Good seal , dual pane lens (hopefully less fogging) and low profile.

23 minutes ago, heroshark said:

If you want the V-Tac Zulu. Primex  I-force are the original maker and cheaper. Some rave how un-foggable they are but you can. Note there is a small and large size. It's a case of "your mileage may vary" with eye pro. Take all recommendations with a pinch of salt. I've come across people who have managed to fog every single so called un-foggable eyepro. One thing I will say is the only times in 17 years and over 400 games the only times I've seen people shot in the eye in game is due getting in around ill fitting open edge eyepro. Only around 10% resulted in permanent sight damage to some degree usually only minor but it's worth considering. 

Would these be the Primex I-Force ones? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyramex-I-Force-Slim-Sporty-Goggle/dp/B00PWVBS0I?th=1 seem to have bad reviews?

Aye. They wouldn't be my personal recommendation more a status quo one. I would be bias to give you my personal recommendation. 

4 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Aye. They wouldn't be my personal recommendation more a status quo one. I would be bias to give you my personal recommendation. 

Give me your bias one :) i'll be looking into reviews anyway. And why would it be bias? 

47 minutes ago, Leah said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking for a goggle style or glasses style (if they cover the sides etc) to answer the person who ask what I define as "best".

I wear revision sawfly glasses in a size small (they do actually have 3 frame sizes). 

I was hesitant about wearing glasses to begin with, but goggles were annoying me with the additional strap and I didn't like the lines around my eyes. 

The sawflyes wrap right around my eyes/face and they sit very close, I'd say within 3-5mm from my face at the edges. They rarely fog with me, so long as I remember to anti fog them in the morning. 

However, I do not wear them in tight CQB situations. I normally play out in an urban/waste ground type field. 

For cqb I wear revision bullet ants. (Goggles) I remove the foam from the top and bottom to alleviate the fogging. 

I have no experience with mesh or full face masks as I am not keen on either, due to comfort mostly. 

Yep it can and does. I've had broken bb in my eye during game in the low teens now afair. Simple answer is I am happy to take that risk and would not try push anyone to use my gear. Hence I don't recommend it. But to put it into perspective there are 1000's of people who are happy to also risk it, and there are many more who don't use my gear but other mesh. I have discussed it hundreds of times in 17 years on international platforms. I am still yet to find a well documented case of a single person receiving any sort of permanent damage or loss of sight due to a fragment of bb hitting an eye through mesh in an airsoft game.  I base my decision on the info and experience over the years I've been playing, just as those who risk non sealed eyepro. A far riskier decision in my experience as I personally know 2 people with reduced sight in one eye due to a bb getting in their shooting glasses in game. And you want to know whats really risky... Children. I've have 3 of them one still a toddler and when they jam their grubby little finger in your eye it's a far worse experience than any fragment of bb I've ever had. So avoid having kids too...

35 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I wear revision sawfly glasses in a size small (they do actually have 3 frame sizes). 

I was hesitant about wearing glasses to begin with, but goggles were annoying me with the additional strap and I didn't like the lines around my eyes. 

The sawflyes wrap right around my eyes/face and they sit very close, I'd say within 3-5mm from my face at the edges. They rarely fog with me, so long as I remember to anti fog them in the morning. 

However, I do not wear them in tight CQB situations. I normally play out in an urban/waste ground type field. 

For cqb I wear revision bullet ants. (Goggles) I remove the foam from the top and bottom to alleviate the fogging. 

I have no experience with mesh or full face masks as I am not keen on either, due to comfort mostly. 

Those are like £120, sound about right?

Sawflyes and bullet ants can both be had for around £30 from eBay. Technically used, but if you look hard enough you can find ones that have never been issued. 

4 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Sawflyes and bullet ants can both be had for around £30 from eBay. Technically used, but if you look hard enough you can find ones that have never been issued. 

Will look into it then, thanks :) 

7 minutes ago, heroshark said:

You may have to pay a premium for the smaller fit ones.

Yeah, couldn't find many postings of the Revision Sawflyes so going to stick with the Revision Bullet Ants or ESS V12 as they'll be better for CQB anyhow. How large are those? 

Archived