SRS sniper rifle?

StayOnTarget
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Had a great days skirmish yesterday i'm not into sniping but I've noticed a lot  of these bolt action bullpups being used,sweet baby jesus they are good I got talking to a very nice fellow who gave me the run down on his and let me have a blast very very nice super quite and throwing BBs out to 80+ meters with no bother then he showed me his MK23 that fucking thing shot further than my AEG and almost silent to boot,I think my nephew fancy's being a sniper so is this a good rifle for him to start with or something else?

• Supporters

Search the forum for SRS and have a read. My brother and team mate run SRS’, ones relatively stock, the other is exceptionally modified.

Both perform superbly. 

The only down side is the bolt pull, the bolt is in the wrong place for me to find comfy. Definitely have a test shot before you take the plunge!

Currently it is the best bolt action money can buy.

The price tag reflects that :P

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Samurai said:

And the price.

Indeed. There are discount codes for certain retailers, again search the forum. 

The SRS is the best sniper out of the box currently, without question.  Hence why you don’t see many for sale second hand!

Mine is being a dick. 16” gen 3.. put a FAST hop in it, TNT TR hop and a prowler nub shooting .43. I can’t get it to hop properly. Max range is about 75m. Doesn’t over hop, it just jams.... I’m thinking it’s the nub

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Mine is being a dick. 16” gen 3.. put a FAST hop in it, TNT TR hop and a prowler nub shooting .43. I can’t get it to hop properly. Max range is about 75m. Doesn’t over hop, it just jams.... I’m thinking it’s the nub

It’s got to be something in the hop unit.. let me find out what bucking my buddy is using and I’ll get back to you...

Fixed it.. the bucking is very concave, so adding a concave nub to it didn’t provide enough grip to the heavy BB even when the hop was on enough to physically block the BB from passing when firing. I’ve just took some 800 sandpaper in the car, rubbed the base of the nub flat and it’s now reaching out to 100m. I think some heavier ammo should help now.

6 hours ago, StayOnTarget said:

I think my nephew fancy's being a sniper so is this a good rifle for him to start with or something else?

No.

He might hate it, and then you've spent way more on a rifle than you needed to, that'll never get used, and is to popular to keep it's resale value. 

I'd suggest getting something more, entry level. Sniping seems cool, but it's mostly sitting doing nothing,m or traipsing around looking for a vantage point, maybe they'll love it, but maybe they won't. 

4 hours ago, Vulpiness said:

No.

He might hate it, and then you've spent way more on a rifle than you needed to, that'll never get used, and is to popular to keep it's resale value. 

I'd suggest getting something more, entry level. Sniping seems cool, but it's mostly sitting doing nothing,m or traipsing around looking for a vantage point, maybe they'll love it, but maybe they won't. 

Yeah I'm with you on all that I much prefer the assault role,I start doing some research on a nice entry level rifle for him then

Hey thanks to everyone for your reply's

As a few have said, don't go and spend a hell of a lot of money on a rifle when he may not enjoy it.
Also yes it is probably the best performing rifle out of the box, however as with every rifle especially sniper rifles you need to spend money on modifications. Therefore by the time you've spent the same money on an SRS you could have a VSR which performs the same without the bullpup design and with a greater number of aftermarket parts.

As others have said sniping is a very marmite affair, today I spent many hours stalking around the woods to shoot very few people and the satisfaction is in the few well placed shots. many try thinking it is a lot of action whereas it really is not. 

My advice would be get your nephew a TM VSR10 G-Spec as that is not only a good starter which can be upgraded to SRS spec and beyond, but also holds a fairly good resell value if he doesn't enjoy it.

Srs doesn’t need mods out of the box. It’s just as capable as that Novbitch SSG. By the time you’ve spent £200 on the 300fps vsr and another £300 on a trigger box, hop chamber and all that other good stuff, you could have just bought something that works out of the box. Using a standard VSR is just going to be offputting to something you may actually enjoy. The stock of the vsr feels cheap and nasty compared to the SRS too. 

Ive moded mine in the hopes of squeezing that extra couple of meters out of it. A standard one is going to outrange 99% of the airsoft field. 

18 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Srs doesn’t need mods out of the box. It’s just as capable as that Novbitch SSG. By the time you’ve spent £200 on the 300fps vsr and another £300 on a trigger box, hop chamber and all that other good stuff, you could have just bought something that works out of the box. Using a standard VSR is just going to be offputting to something you may actually enjoy. The stock of the vsr feels cheap and nasty compared to the SRS too. 

Ive moded mine in the hopes of squeezing that extra couple of meters out of it. A standard one is going to outrange 99% of the airsoft field. 

The rifle you have mentioned is not something to use as a benchmark, they're not actually that good especially for the money you spend on them.
like I said the VSRs hold their money well, in the used market as really you only lose the VAT and a further 10% and you're not dropping double that on a rifle (admittedly is the best spring rifle out of the box) however as we all know when it comes down to it. To get a VSR shooting at SRS range you'll be spending similar money as purchasing an SRS. To be the most effective with a sniper you need accurate range which of course requires modification. 

Dependent on where OP plays denounces whether there will be necessity for the range as using a standard VSR means no MED. at the site I was at today I could probably have made a majority of the shots with 300fps as I did and would have possibly made more due to no MED albeit with a little less rifle consistency due to it being a out of the box rifle.

Yes a standard SRS will outrange pretty much any AEG (I won't say all because there'll be someone lobbing bbs from an M4 350ft) however as soon as you go toe to toe with someone else who has spent similar money on a modified BASR there'll be not much contest. 

Also if the OPs nephew is a younger lad the SRS Covert is a kilo heavier than a G spec. I've been using a friends MOD24 whilst my M40 is waiting for parts and losing nearly 2 kilos of weight over the day plus extra mags has made my day a lot less strenuous. 

The problem with the VSR is they need to be overhauled to be made useful. Which means some numpty has probably thrown a load of parts in and hoped for the best. Building a Sniper or DMR that shoots well isn’t a case of throwing a load of “upgrade” parts in. The SRS was built out of the box to be 95% there.

You never see an SRS up for sale, but there’s a million ‘modded’ VSR’s. I imagine that it’s because they didn’t perform as expected and now people want rid. I wouldn’t touch any of them in the for sale thread unless I knew the builder.

Surely you may as well run a combat machine if you want 50m and in with no MED. Giving someone a low powered bolt gun on a small field is still going to ruin their experience unless they’re an experienced player up for a challenge. 

Im not denying that a top spec VSR will shoot just as well as an SRS, but far more factors are involved. The SRS you just take out of the box, dial the hop in and you’re away. 

The SRS is heavier, but all of that weight is to the rear between the shoulder and firing hand, so in the aimed position I’d argue it wouldn’t feel as heavy over a duration.

To the OP... I would evaluate your nephew’s style of play. If he likes to hang back and take those long shots, isn’t trigger happy and has the patience, a sniper rifle will serve him well. There’s nothing better than getting a long range kill with a single shot. If he likes to be in the action and plays fast pace, I’d consider sticking to AEG’s and upgrading them if you want longer ranges. A <350 FPS rifle is still capable of 65m when well setup

8 hours ago, Wo1f said:

The problem with the VSR is they need to be overhauled to be made useful. Which means some numpty has probably thrown a load of parts in and hoped for the best. Building a Sniper or DMR that shoots well isn’t a case of throwing a load of “upgrade” parts in. The SRS was built out of the box to be 95% there.

You never see an SRS up for sale, but there’s a million ‘modded’ VSR’s. I imagine that it’s because they didn’t perform as expected and now people want rid. I wouldn’t touch any of them in the for sale thread unless I knew the builder.

Surely you may as well run a combat machine if you want 50m and in with no MED. Giving someone a low powered bolt gun on a small field is still going to ruin their experience unless they’re an experienced player up for a challenge. 

Im not denying that a top spec VSR will shoot just as well as an SRS, but far more factors are involved. The SRS you just take out of the box, dial the hop in and you’re away. 

The SRS is heavier, but all of that weight is to the rear between the shoulder and firing hand, so in the aimed position I’d argue it wouldn’t feel as heavy over a duration.

To the OP... I would evaluate your nephew’s style of play. If he likes to hang back and take those long shots, isn’t trigger happy and has the patience, a sniper rifle will serve him well. There’s nothing better than getting a long range kill with a single shot. If he likes to be in the action and plays fast pace, I’d consider sticking to AEG’s and upgrading them if you want longer ranges. A <350 FPS rifle is still capable of 65m when well setup

I completely agree mate however if you’ve got a pretty good idea of what you’re doing with an Airsoft gun and know how to use the internet then I know you can build a VSR to go toe to toe with an SRS for the same price.

The VSR has been the go to rifle for many years and people who don’t enjoy the craft thinning their collection is what I assume to be the reason for more for sale, also a majority of the guys who buy the SRS either have used a bolty before or are dead-set on using one due to the price so they’re not something that comes on the used market often. 

Personally I love my VFC M40A5 and the ease of pull with the gas rifle, you barely have to move a finger to rack the bolt and it’s incredibly quiet. However the trade-off is magazine size (15 rounds) and the weight.

agree with you on the evaluate the lads style of play. I’d suggest if he’s using an AEG to get him to do a sneaky sneaky limited ammo semi only game, give him one mid cap and see how long it takes him to run out, if he lasts all game and is sneaking around taking accurate shots then go for it if he runs out after first contact may not be ideal

8 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Thank you all for the great advice I love this forum love all your different opinions and knowledge.As for my nephew well see how he gets on in febuary he's had a blast with my RIFs and loves them,he asked which one he'd be using at his first skirmish!!! Oh how I laughed (a rental will do him just fine) kids today eh?

• Supporters
12 hours ago, DopeYourScope said:

get your nephew a TM VSR10 G-Spec as that is not only a good starter which can be upgraded to SRS spec and beyond, but also holds a fairly good resell value

Buy TM.

Replace all the internals.

Still has TM magic.

@DopeYourScope loved my VFC m40a5! Sold it to a mate and miss it badly. Really consistent for a gas gun too. Just wish the mags didn’t feel like house bricks😂

21 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

@DopeYourScope loved my VFC m40a5! Sold it to a mate and miss it badly. Really consistent for a gas gun too. Just wish the mags didn’t feel like house bricks😂

The most expensive house brick in the world 😂 spent a lot of time finding the right pouches for them, now using WAS .338 pouches which do the job. 

I just enjoy the simplicity, no need to worry about piston weight or spring strength, every so often I’ll brush some grease on the bolt and clean the barrel. The main maintenance is really cleaning the barrel and making sure the mag o rings don’t dry out.

34 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Buy TM.

Replace all the internals.

Still has TM magic.

Everyone knows the Japanese sprinkle special fairy dust on the guns when they leave the factory. 

I've just gone through a huge dilemma.

I own a G-SPEC which shoots at 500 fps and is accurate enough for me to have enjoyed the last 2 years using it but I fancied a change.

I was thinking about an SRS and a full platform and rig change but instead opted to buy another G-SPEC and this one is going to get built up to 350-370FPS so I can use it closer without a MED.

If you want a long range weapon and have very little willing to tune it then go for an SRS, I was worried I'd be bored of it as they're more or less perfect out of the box. A G-SPEC will keep my mind busy throughout the month when I'm not using it and I will constantly refine it to get it pin point accurate over the shorter distance.

Long story short, if your nephew wants something to pick up and play then go for an SRS, if he wants to really get into it then VSR and go through hardship but ultimately is very rewarding shooting a gun you know inside out.

My brother has an SSG24 and loves it. Absolutely loves the thing like a family member. But even he thinks the SRS series are scary good. Saw at least three on my last game day and I tried to stay well clear.

59 minutes ago, StayOnTarget said:

I hear alot about MED but to all the snipers I've come across it just translates to getting those bloody MK23s out...god those pistols are good😡

The MK23's are extremely good. I personally run a Hi-Capa, that way my buddies know that if/when they here that thing firing that I'm in trouble and can come rescue me.

I run an ARP w/ sound hog, that way my teammates, when they hear it firing, know it's time to hide and leave me to my fate :(

Archived