Baofeng radio

ProPain87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for a better Antenna for my baofeng, anyone use one? I’ve seen a firm on Facebook sell a couple of nice ones but there a bit pricey for me 

• Supporters

Nagoya 771 on ebay or Amazon.

Or the SNR stinger on that facebook.

The reviews on the 771 sound good, only issue is there too long for where my radio will be, it’ll stick over the top of my head 😂 the 701 could be an option.

the snr stinger looks cool, I might have to invest in one. 

I like the look of this one, https://www.tacticalcommssolutions.com/product-page/tcs-baofeng-mini-blade but £42 seems pricey since there’s one on eBay for less than a tenner which looks identical 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264006521301

i spoke to a local electronics shop on the phone and he said he had antennas in stock and to pop in with my radio.

he also said he can reprogram the baofeng radios, what does he mean by reprogramming it?

6 minutes ago, ProPain87 said:

he also said he can reprogram the baofeng radios, what does he mean by reprogramming it?

Either manually or most likely he'll plug the radio into a pc and configure it through software available.

If you skip through this to about 10 mins in he'll configure the radio.... should be what the fella has offered you but this is manually. (I'm making assumptions here and we know they're the mother of all Fu...... ups :lol:)

• Supporters
On 26/01/2019 at 20:54, ProPain87 said:

But What does it actually do by reprogramming it 

Means you can set which channel number runs which frequency. Say for example you want it to only work on the Business Light frequencies or you want to run it at PMR frequencies. Get yourself a programming lead (about £7 for the Retevis one on Amazon) and download CHIRP. It really is simple!

On 26/01/2019 at 20:54, ProPain87 said:

But What does it actually do by reprogramming it 

Reprogramming could cover a series of things:

Configure the handsets software

Configure the frequencies

Set the handset to your licenced frequencies 

Set the handset to PMR frequencies

Basic PMR 8 channels, digital PMR has 16 channels and both have a number of ‘sub frequencies’

A generic PMR handset can be switched to a channel and sub frequency.  If you go to channel 1.01 then you are on the PMR or dPMR frequency allocated to channel 1, sub frequency 1

Better / ‘professional’ handsets have a dial or selector to channels 1,2,3 etc.   

The actual frequency used has no relationship to the number selected.

The user presets their desired frequency into 1,2,3 etc.   Channel 1 could be on the PMR frequency for 5.07 if they wish

This can be done manually or by plugging into a computer

Some handsets have no way of setting the frequency and it can only be done by computer

Using a computer has the benefit of doing more complex settings or very quickly cloning multiple handsets

Please note that Baofeng handsets are not UK legal for PMR.  The specifications are both for the public frequency and for the power limit

A baofeng exceeds the PMR power limit already and an upgraded aerial will go much further in exceeding that limit

For legal use Baofengs should be set to frequency’s that either you have purchased or with permission of the licence holder

Archived