CM16 Raider 2.0, Good Starter & Futureproof?

Leah
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, i'm looking to get started in Airsoft and am currently looking at getting the CM16 Raider 2.0 (if I decide to stick to the sport etc) i've heard good things from the weapon, and its last generation but i've also heard less than good things. What is the truth?

Is this weapon worth getting for a starter user and someone that may stick around for some time, and possibly move on to bigger skirmishes etc? I don't want to spend ~£150 if it's only good in x environment and useless for y. I'm aware that it won't be as good as a £300 weapon. But I wan't to know how it holds up, and if it may be worth saving more money for a better weapon. If you have other suggestions please let me know.

Thank You :)

EDIT - I'm not sure if it's important but I'm also a left handed user, doubt this really matters with Airsoft though?

• Supporters

The CM16 series are highly recommended by the majority of us on these here forums.

Havent any personally experience with the 2.0. But the original is excellent value for money, so much so I have kept 2 of them(spares and hire toys for friends) They both still perform flawlessly and keep up with the high end weapons. 

A lot of Americans say the Classic Army Skirmish, ICS Peleador and Tipmann Commando are a better choice, but I am not convinced. I wouldn't buy Classic Army or Tipmann and I'm not sold on the ICS polymer over the G&G.

The Combat Machine gets quite a bit of bad press from some American airsofters. They say the motor is no good and the gear box is frail etc. I think they are just biased against the brand.

It is still the best seller at its price point and there must be a reason. How can it be frail when so many owners have had their Combat Machines running reliably for years?

Maybe the unreliability is due to Americans putting 11.1 lipos in them. They seem to put 11.1s in everything.

Power and rps seems to be everything over there, but UK cqb gamers like me only ever use semi-auto and we have a low power limit for full auto guns.

I was in the same boat last year and everywhere I looked the CM16 was highly rated and recommended so you can't go wrong! BUT for the want of being a bit different I went with the Specna Arms SA-C06 😀 and love it. 

I got the cm16 a year or two ago. Loved it, but ultimately bought more fun/better guns for a slightly higher price.

For example, the SRXL I have is pretty much the same thing and hasn't failed me once. The scorpion Evo is possibly one of the best out of the box guns you can get for £300 or less. 

If you're looking for something to fall back on incase you ever need to, I'd maybe look at the cyma guns as they are cheaper. If you're looking because you want it to be your go to gun, I'd look elsewhere.

They are great, but I always wanted something a bit more from mine mainly due to the lack of a mosfet, which the SRXL has only for £60~ more plus, they have a much better stock in my opinion. 

Choice is yours, but I would look atwhat you want it for and asses then 

46 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I got the cm16 a year or two ago. Loved it, but ultimately bought more fun/better guns for a slightly higher price.

For example, the SRXL I have is pretty much the same thing and hasn't failed me once. The scorpion Evo is possibly one of the best out of the box guns you can get for £300 or less. 

If you're looking for something to fall back on incase you ever need to, I'd maybe look at the cyma guns as they are cheaper. If you're looking because you want it to be your go to gun, I'd look elsewhere.

They are great, but I always wanted something a bit more from mine mainly due to the lack of a mosfet, which the SRXL has only for £60~ more plus, they have a much better stock in my opinion. 

Choice is yours, but I would look atwhat you want it for and asses then 

Yeah, this is going to be my go to weapon so want the best I can get. For no more than £250 if possible. I'm looking for a rifle that can be used for CQB and Longer Ranges - I'm not very strong, so preferably not too heavy. But i also want to 'realistic' feel. If you have any suggestions link me :)

3 minutes ago, Leah said:

Yeah, this is going to be my go to weapon so want the best I can get. For no more than £250 if possible. I'm looking for a rifle that can be used for CQB and Longer Ranges - I'm not very strong, so preferably not too heavy. But i also want to 'realistic' feel. If you have any suggestions link me :)

Any gun can be used really, longer ranges are generally when someone has put something into it to go further but most aegs shoot the same.

Take the scorpion for example, both the SMG and the BET Carbine, shoot roughly the same distance. But the most popular is the SMG, because it's smaller and you can attach tracers and suppressors etc. 

https://jdairsoft.net/asg-cz-scorpion-evo-3-a14

Probably the best price around right now.

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/gg-cm16-srxl-mosfet-etu/

That's one version of the SRXL you can get a slightly different coloured one but that's just aesthetics.

In essence as you can see by the name it is a CM16 but it's (imo) nicer to look at and it has the etu built in. 

Or, to go a lot smaller, you could look at getting a Firehawk (loud bastard) with a mosfet/etu fitted for £150-180 and leave some room for accessories. Never forget you need things like batteries, chargers, bbs etc etc 

A slightly more expensive option, but apparently equally as good, there is the ARP 9

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-arp-9

Again I don't think it has the ETU but maybe other models do. 

If you're into woodlands etc my advise would be get a normal sized gun or something slightly larger with a grip and a sling

If you're into CQB go smaller or more compact again with a sling 

12 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Any gun can be used really, longer ranges are generally when someone has put something into it to go further but most aegs shoot the same.

Take the scorpion for example, both the SMG and the BET Carbine, shoot roughly the same distance. But the most popular is the SMG, because it's smaller and you can attach tracers and suppressors etc. 

https://jdairsoft.net/asg-cz-scorpion-evo-3-a14

Probably the best price around right now.

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/gg-cm16-srxl-mosfet-etu/

That's one version of the SRXL you can get a slightly different coloured one but that's just aesthetics.

In essence as you can see by the name it is a CM16 but it's (imo) nicer to look at and it has the etu built in. 

Or, to go a lot smaller, you could look at getting a Firehawk (loud bastard) with a mosfet/etu fitted for £150-180 and leave some room for accessories. Never forget you need things like batteries, chargers, bbs etc etc 

A slightly more expensive option, but apparently equally as good, there is the ARP 9

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-arp-9

Again I don't think it has the ETU but maybe other models do. 

If you're into woodlands etc my advise would be get a normal sized gun or something slightly larger with a grip and a sling

If you're into CQB go smaller or more compact again with a sling 

Thanks for all the links etc. Is there any reason to get the SRXL over the SRL / SRS? I'm also a left hander so not sure if that matters. The Firehawk looks rather cool but I wouldn't know where to start with a Mosfet/ETU and how to fit them.

10 minutes ago, Leah said:

Thanks for all the links etc. Is there any reason to get the SRXL over the SRL / SRS? I'm also a left hander so not sure if that matters. The Firehawk looks rather cool but I wouldn't know where to start with a Mosfet/ETU and how to fit them.

I couldn't answer your first question as I don't know.

I'd buy a gun with a mosfet or etu already fitted 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I usually champion the CM18 on here if you're after something slightly different looking to the fixed front post of the CM16/Raider.

Looks a bit more modern, and that's really the only difference.

The change of external front end means it costs a little bit more, but it's still light enough to save your back for a day of airsofting too. Worth a look perhaps?

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm18-mod1-aeg-rifle

There's no Mostfet and no ETU though if these are features you're looking for (but not necessary for these guns in my opinion)

This was my friends CM18, you can see how he changed his over the months. Nice looking gun overall.

From new:

m2MU6rt.jpg

Accessories added after a day (Personally love this one)

DTE9NjU.jpg

Made it a bit sleeker:

vgD0Oyi.jpg

How it ended up:

wKqwXc3.jpg

Future proof in a way it's a reasonably solid basic AEG you can build on. You can pretty get all standard aegs of all shapes and sizes running pretty much the same. It's worth handling a few seeing what you like the feel of. One thing to consider I always loved my Ak but hated that you couldn't get short midcaps because going prone was awkward, lots of little things like that to consider. You being lefty you may want to take into account. I would always go for a really solid outer build over anything. Gear box and internal can always be upgraded.

Archived