L85A2 - which would be best for practicing proper weapon handling drills?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all - my bro is after an L85A2
However, he doesn't want it for airsoft - he wants it to practice weapon drills cos he's in the TA.

Which of the L85A2 models available is the closest to the real one in terms of build (internals don't matter at all)?
Once I've narrowed it down I'm hoping I can get him a 2nd hand / non working one.
TIA 😄 

p.s. I have searched, but nothing seemed to answer the question.

The WE gas blowback. In terms of function and field stripping, this will be by far the closest to the real firearm

1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

The WE gas blowback. In terms of function and field stripping, this will be by far the closest to the real firearm

Carry on...

• Mostly Retired Moderators
14 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

??

Standard Cryptic Seth_K style post Wolfie.

He's probably trying to goad you into describing why it's most like the real L85, before trying to prove you wrong.

6 hours ago, Wo1f said:

??

Just want to know more about how it is similar to the real steel version.

6 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Standard Cryptic Seth_K style post Wolfie.

He's probably trying to goad you into describing why it's most like the real L85, before trying to prove you wrong.

Daym, I have a rep now :)

No, I wasn't goading, don't worry.

9 minutes ago, lukeB said:

Is the cocking handle karate chop still a thing?

Officially, it hasn't been a thing since the L85A1 but we still do it as muscle memory.

Re the OP - TBH I wouldn't bother as some of the IA drills require being able to see internal state of hammer, magazine etc and you get enough weapon training anyway during basic that it will become muscle memory very very quickly.

Well it’s gas. You have to go though the same manual of arms to get it to fire as a real one. Charging the bolt etc. Surely that’s more real than ram lightweight mag in and pull mushy, electric switch? 

One of the few gbbr’s I’ve not owned, but as almost all gbbr’s function and strip down like the real thing, it’s gonna be better for the task

• Supporters

Wouldn’t waste the money , as evilmonkee said he’ll get more than enough training with the real one , and to be honest there’s not THAT MUCH he’ll need to learn that he needs to practice at home !

Echo that.

Non infantry role,  but guard training, CCS once a year and things like exercise and it was all straight forward enough and posed no issues.  Probably get more than enough hands-on time with the weapon, save the cash IMO.

18 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

Evening all - my bro is after an L85A2
However, he doesn't want it for airsoft - he wants it to practice weapon drills cos he's in the TA.

Which of the L85A2 models available is the closest to the real one in terms of build (internals don't matter at all)?
Once I've narrowed it down I'm hoping I can get him a 2nd hand / non working one.
TIA 😄 

p.s. I have searched, but nothing seemed to answer the question.

Do it! 😈

2 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Eh?

Buy it, good RIF all in all.

• Supporters

As others have said, don't bother, even the closest thing (WE GBB) is still a long way from the real thing.  He'll get plenty of training on the real thing and as a STAB no one's going to trust him unsupervised with a rifle anyway 👍

Archived