Mesh googles/glasses

ExArmy91
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What's everyone's opinion? 

I sweat a bit whilst running about and my glasses steam up or get sweat on them. I want to remove this but not remove my eyes at the same time( i heard some BBs can disintegrate on impact?

Thanks all

@ExArmy91 I'd advice caution with mesh goggles. While you can control the quality of your goggles to ensure they will take BB impacts etc you can not control what kind of ammo other people use. 

If someone firing cheap bb's hit your goggles and the BB shatters, the fragments may well pass through the holes and into your eye. 

I was at a game last weekend and watched several bb's shatter against my eye pro.

Hell even one of my bb's shattered when fired at a derelict van chassis. I was using asg blaster 0.2g bb's. Their not geoffs but there not some trashy no name brand either. 

By your user name, I'm going to guess you make have some army issue blastic glasses lying around? ESS ICE or sawfly revisions? They are more than adequate for Airsoft and being an open lens design defog near instantly once you start moving. 

Another recommendation I can make is a dye i4 or i5 paintball mask.

Regularly used in Airsoft and safe to do so (lens are sufficiently highly impact rated). More importantly, they do no fog at all. Their dual pane lens design and use of a inner thermal lens prevents all fogging issues. 

Hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, Encore said:

@ExArmy91 

I was at a game last weekend and watched several bb's shatter against my eye pro.

Hell even one of my bb's shattered when fired at a derelict van chassis. I was using asg blaster 0.2g bb's. Their not geoffs but there not some trashy no name brand either. 

Blasters have been band at my local for that very reason

Also to add in a forest with low level light mesh will greatly reduce your vision

4 hours ago, Encore said:

@ExArmy91 I'd advice caution with mesh goggles. While you can control the quality of your goggles to ensure they will take BB impacts etc you can not control what kind of ammo other people use. 

If someone firing cheap bb's hit your goggles and the BB shatters, the fragments may we'll pass through the holes and into your eye. 

By your user name, I'm going to guess you make have some army issue blastic glasses lying around? ESS ICE or sawfly revisions? They are more than adequate for Airsoft and being an open lens design defog near instantly once you start moving. 

Another recommendation I can make is a dye i4 or i5 paintball mask.

Regularly used in Airsoft and safe to do so (lens are sufficiently highly impact rated). More importantly, they do no fog at all. Their dual pane lens design and use of a inner thermal lens prevents all fogging issues. 

Hope this helps. 

Just got given some ESS glasses today, they've been places, can still smell the sand.

15 hours ago, BigStew said:

Blasters have been band at my local for that very reason

Also to add in a forest with low level light mesh will greatly reduce your vision

I thought it was bio only at section 8? or did I dream that. 

18 hours ago, Encore said:

I'd advice caution with mesh goggles. While you can control the quality of your goggles to ensure they will take BB impacts etc you can not control what kind of ammo other people use. 

If someone firing cheap bb's hit your goggles and the BB shatters, the fragments may we'll pass through the holes and into your eye.

I agree with this. For a while blasters were banned at my local site due to a bad batch of them. But now the cold weather coming back I've noticed more bb's shattering when hitting my face mash. I only every wear glasses or goggles to protect my eyes, however a mouth full of shattered bbs is still horrible. 

5 minutes ago, BigStew said:

you dreamed that

Double damn. I only have blaster .2s from renting at the depot. Guess I will need to pick up something different when I order some kit.

5 hours ago, Arwen said:

I agree with this. For a while blasters were banned at my local site due to a bad batch of them. But now the cold weather coming back I've noticed more bb's shattering when hitting my face mash. I only every wear glasses or goggles to protect my eyes, however a mouth full of shattered bbs is still horrible. 

We experienced that too at the end of last year,there was a slight colour difference which was a giveaway..seem ok now but we go through them quickly,if you're hanging onto them it could still be an issue.

I cant comment on what everyone else wears.

I have spent a stupid amount of money on various clear lenses and extras (From Bolle trackers to ESS V12's and a lot in between) and all of them have fogged up for me. I switched over to Heroshark's mesh types, they are second to none in terms of build quality . I've never had any issues with BB fragments even when shot in the face at point blank range by a 6 shot shotgun, which didn't even dent them. I cant recommend them enough. 

The site I play at is very dense woodland and all year round and it does not restrict your vision in anyway. even during dark cloudy days I've never had issues.

Hope that helps the OP

Does mesh come with a rating? Having never bothered with mesh as I've always worn glasses instead it makes my bum hole pucker when I see people wearing some that have even minute dents in. Surely a hit or multiple hits can cause minute stress cracks if the mesh isn't up to the job? Hell I've even seen people turn up with rust on the mesh!!

No ratings as far as I am aware. Personally, if I had to buy mesh to protect my eyes. It would be the hero sharks. They are much better made and I've never heard anyone complain about them.

Face masks though, so long as they have two straps and are comfortable I will wear them. Most of mine now have dents and rust from multiple BB hits. I've not seen a pair of hero sharks with rust. 

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Surely all eye protection needs to be rated by law though or am I wrong?

There is no standard for airsoft use, and mesh isn't rated as eye protection for any purposes as far as I'm aware.

7 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Is it just me that finds that unnerving/weird?

Yeh I was in the same boat as you mate. I just couldn't get clear lenses to work for me but was really worried about the horror stories I kept reading on forums etc about mesh.

I looked around and on recommendation decided to pay more than normal and try Heroshark. I was glad I did, he uses stamped steel that is extremely stiff and durable, it's tough as old boots and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to make the change. He  can make pretty much anything you imagine, he does some amazing custom work and is also a really nice fella who is always happy to help.

The best experience I can relate to them getting tested was. I once was stacked in a doorway and was one of two who were last men standing in a game of attack and defend, I wanted to check who was out there so I dropped onto one knee and popped my head out just as a guy was sprinting full on at me and was literally so close he almost kicked me in the head. he shat his pants and opened fire with his gas shotty which all 6 rounds hit me directly in the face from less than a foot away. I didn't get a single fragment through them, the shots just bounced off harmlessly. All I got out of it was a slight scratch on one of the lenses and some ruined pants.  He was full of apologies because he thought he'd done me some serious damage but after checking where i'd been hit and finding out that I was fine we just laughed about it. no harm done. 

I checked the mesh straight after  there was marks where the BB's hit which wiped off but there was no cracks or weakness at all in the mesh. now I wouldn't use anything else.

In terms of vision, they do feel odd when you first put them on, my focus kept switching between the mesh and what I was looking at, but once you get used to them, they just give the same effect as a pair of sunglasses (The type that fade sunlight rather than black it out completely). I don't even notice the mesh effect now. 

I know people say mesh is this & that. but because I paid a good price for mine, I've never had a single issue with them. I'm not saying they are better, I'm just telling you my experience which I hope is helpful to someone. 

32 minutes ago, Fumps said:

Yeh I was in the same boat as you mate. I just couldn't get clear lenses to work for me but was really worried about the horror stories I kept reading on forums etc about mesh.

I looked around and on recommendation decided to pay more than normal and try Heroshark. I was glad I did, he uses stamped steel that is extremely stiff and durable, it's tough as old boots and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to make the change. He  can make pretty much anything you imagine, he does some amazing custom work and is also a really nice fella who is always happy to help.

The best experience I can relate to them getting tested was. I once was stacked in a doorway and was one of two who were last men standing in a game of attack and defend, I wanted to check who was out there so I dropped onto one knee and popped my head out just as a guy was sprinting full on at me and was literally so close he almost kicked me in the head. he shat his pants and opened fire with his gas shotty which all 6 rounds hit me directly in the face from less than a foot away. I didn't get a single fragment through them, the shots just bounced off harmlessly. All I got out of it was a slight scratch on one of the lenses and some ruined pants.  He was full of apologies because he thought he'd done me some serious damage but after checking where i'd been hit and finding out that I was fine we just laughed about it. no harm done. 

I checked the mesh straight after  there was marks where the BB's hit which wiped off but there was no cracks or weakness at all in the mesh. now I wouldn't use anything else.

In terms of vision, they do feel odd when you first put them on, my focus kept switching between the mesh and what I was looking at, but once you get used to them, they just give the same effect as a pair of sunglasses (The type that fade sunlight rather than black it out completely). I don't even notice the mesh effect now. 

I know people say mesh is this & that. but because I paid a good price for mine, I've never had a single issue with them. I'm not saying they are better, I'm just telling you my experience which I hope is helpful to someone. 

Think I'd still rather trust my glasses over mesh, the thought of anything else going in my eyes just leaves me feeling uneasy, its not just BB's that can go towards your eyes for example burning pyro dust.. I've had burning bits of pyro go all over clothing before so could be considered a risk.

• Supporters

The absolute lack of any rating or formalised testing is what makes me never ever consider mesh as appropriate eye protection.  Everyone's entitled to carry as much risk as they personally feel is acceptable though, if you feel safe in dented rusty mesh, more power to you. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

Is it just me that finds [the lack of certification or testing] unnerving/weird?

It's not ideal, but we're a small hobby, and the subset of mesh users is a minority within that.

For polycarb lenses, EN 166 B is more than sufficient, and I'd be surprised if anything rated EN 166 F would fail in practice either.  Note that glasses can only be rated for F, even if they're capable of taking much higher impacts.

Mesh, well, that Chinamesh fail video shown above is an eye opener (and loser).  Until I fixed my fogging problems, I tried #8 0.7mm woven mesh fettled into an existing frame, which is sturdier, but I really wouldn't recommend mesh for anyone.

14 hours ago, Musica said:

Double damn. I only have blaster .2s from renting at the depot. Guess I will need to pick up something different when I order some kit.

Just confirmed to make sure blasters are band at section 8. They have longbow and draft club on site for sale

Archived