Confused

Mad Rag
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

The metal center is filled with CO2 when you pull the pin and through it when it hits the ground the gas is released and makes a loud bang as it does so , I think there pretty lame my self but plenty do like them .

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

The metal center is filled with CO2 when you pull the pin and through it when it hits the ground the gas is released and makes a loud bang as it does so , I think there pretty lame my self but plenty do like them .

I read the reviews they are rather loud. i got confused as there is the pineapple shell and also modern flash bang type too. 

@Druid799 ive just been a total noob and didnt read the description proper hah. 

The unit itself uses readily available 12g CO2 bulbs - one for each bang...the pin is pulled and the timer (adjustable) is a delay-valve which, when detonated, suddenly dumps all the CO2 gas into the sealed plastic grenade shell. The shell swells up under the immense pressure and ruptures with a very loud bang. For each use of the grenade, you need to replace the shell and CO2 capsule which is very simple and quick to do. 

There's a co2 bulb in the thing, and a detonator, it counts down like the real thing or a BFG, but strikes a CO2 Cartrage, causing a rapid expansion of co2 within the casing causing the casing to "explode" into fragments. 

• Supporters

if it's the one that's pictured there's no physical timer, there's a hammer which when thrown hits a firing pin, this firing pin peirces the top of the co2 cartridge which begins venting inside the plastic shell which eventually swells up an explodes (which yes is pretty loud when it does go, the different shells can go off with different volumes, personally i found the pineapple ones were loudest)

the timing is controlled exclusively by how well the cartridge has been peirced and how quickly the gas vents, there are a number of methods for reducing the time which stock is pretty long such as half filling the shell with bb's or drilling holes to let the gas vent faster.

i ran a couple for a while but they have 3 main issues:

1. the striker system isn't very robust, between the spring weakening and the pin blunting you'll start to get light strikes and failures to peirce the cartridge

2. the air seal system is terrible and fails pretty quickly and i've not seen any decent option for spare seals for them.

3. it's very expensive, even when it does work, which on a good day is a 50% chance.

i'd avoid, it's a neat idea that's poorly executed.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Mad Rag said:

@Adolf Hamster 

@Vulpiness

they have classed it as a reusable, but not really. looking for something that is cheap and reusable. 

yeah the core of the grenade gets re-used but for every successful detonation you're busting up a shell and a co2 capsule (not to mention all the co2 capsules you'll lose in failed detonations)

the airsoft innovations burst xl is much cheaper per bang (just green gas and a plastic disk that you can use plastic bags for) however it's an impact grenade and sadly also not very reliable.

If thre was a realistic looking BFG, I'd go for that. but welp. 

• Supporters

Unless your not allowed to use them just go with the Dynatec , TRMR that everyone uses . Yes they are very expensive initially but If you check sales threads regularly they do come up at quite reasonable prices and in the long run your better off price per bang and there a hell of a lot more reliable as well . 

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Mad Rag said:

@Druid799 are they like the metal ones. like the below.

Image result for airsoft grenade

Yup that’s the beauty, they come with a single shot base that uses a 9mm or 209 shotgun primmer in the base and you can buy an ‘extra’ base that holds 3 shots that you twist to prime , so you can re-use it as quickly as you can recover it . Highly recommended!👍

• Supporters

Yup but when it comes to re-usable grenades it’s most definitely a case of “you get what you pay for !”

Should be noted the TRMR is an impact grenade if you play outdoors often the ground is too soft for it to  "impact" and they won't go off. If you want to use a bfg outdoors try a timed BFG like https://www.airsoftworld.net/dynatex-9mm-38-timer-blank-firing-grenade-bfg.html because it's timed it will still detonate on soft ground. 

Don't take this to mean the TRMR isn't a good BFG it's excellent. 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Mad Rag said:

dead expensive thou @Druid799

But they get cheaper the more that you use them.  I've gone through about 150 .209 primers between my TRMR tri-shot and my timed Dynatex clone, at just 8p a shot.

Total cost was £180 for both grenades (including the TRMR tri-shot base) + £12 for the blanks used = £192.

The CO2 / plastic shell grenades run at a minimum of £1.50 a pop, even if you buy bulbs and shells in the bulkiest bulk you can find.  Total cost for 150 bangs = £225

BB shower grenades run cheaper, but you're still looking at something like 30p a shot, with a startup cost closer to blank-firers, and more of a risk of people not even noticing them going off.

So I'm already ahead of the game, and here's the kicker: I still have 2 sought-after BFGs that I can sell for a fair proportion of their retail price if I never need to recoup my funds.

If you're going to stick with airsoft, then it's worth investing in blank-firers.  If you're not going to stick with airsoft, it's probably still worth it, since you'll be left with an asset that you can flog.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Mad Rag said:

@Rogerborg im wanting to get a blank firing. that's what I thought the mrk  where.

Nope, blank firers take .209 shotgun primers, 9mm blanks or short 12 gauge blanks.  Depending what you get, it's likely to come with adaptors to let you use some or all of the above blanks.

.209 is fine indoors and very cheap to use. 9mm is significantly louder and about 4x as expensive to use, and 12 gauge is egregiously loud and a fire hazard to the point where they are prohibited at the Depot and perhaps elsewhere.  Practically speaking, I'd only consider using .209 or 9mm.

There are two BFGs worthy of your consideration:

The TRMR for impact use.

Single shot version (cheaper deals do come up, shop around): https://jdairsoft.net/trmr/trmr-e1/trmr-e1-x4-s5

Tri-shot version: https://jdairsoft.net/trmr/trmr-e1/trmr-e1-x4-multi-version

The single shot takes one blank, the tri shot takes 3 blanks with a rotating wheel to select the 2nd and 3rd shots without reloading.  It's a great design, robust, takes no tools to reload, and can be armed or disarmed with a simple twist action.  It goes off as soon as it hits a hard surface and is very useful indoors.

The downsides are that it's quite heavy so you'll be expected to throw it low and carefully to avoid injuring anyway, and that it can fail to go off if it lands on soft ground.

The Dynatex timed grenade [*]

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/dynatex-timed-delay-grenade-bfg/ (again, shop around)

This is a bit more realistic looking.  You pull a pin (use a spring cord to attach it securely to yourself), lob it, and it goes off about 3 seconds later.  I stress "about": it can go off within a second, or five seconds later depending in its mood.  However, it should eventually go off regardless of where it lands, so is useful outdoors.

Still a heavy thing, and you won't be thanked for lobbing it any distance.  Indoors, you can wheech it along floors nicely though.

The downside is that it only takes one blank, and requires a supplied tool and a bit of fiddling around to reload.  I tend to reload at respawn while taking a breather.

You can put the pin back in once you've pulled it, if you've kept a tight hold of it, but it's not as simple as the TRMR to arm and disarm.

[*] The SWAT VTG is a knock off of the Dynatex in a knobblier package.  If you can find one used, it's a viable choice.  However, I would not attempt to buy one new as they're made to order on a timescale that suits them, which may be months.

I use one of each of the above indoors.  They have different uses and solve some problems that you can't do any other way.  At 8p a throw for .209 blanks, you don't have to think twice before using them.

• Supporters

There is another out there (but are getting rare as hens teeth) called an ‘Alpha-tec’ same principle as the TRMR , rotating blank holder but it holds 6 not 3 209 primers , was lucky enough to pick 2 up second hand last yr , were in right shit order (fair play to the seller He did fore worn me) but bit of work and there both functioning fine .  

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Mad Rag said:

where would I look for a second hand one ?

Classifieds here, although there's no obvious category.

https://forums.zeroin.co.uk/forum/classifieds/gear-kit/grenades-for-sale - you'll note half the posts are muppets making wanted posts though.

When they do come up used at anything under retail, they tend to go quickly.

Archived