Anyone out there with experience using dual/'thermal' lenses anti fogging eyepro?

Sharpe_95
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

[Play test/reviews of goggles at bottom of thread]

Hi guys,

As title really. I suffer a lot from fogging (or to be more precise, condensation build up) which really has a bad impact on my game to the point I have to stop and walk to the safe zones to clean them out etc - and this is with ballistic glasses let alone goggles. I am aware that the majority of the problem is that I wear a mesh mask, which probably causes 90% of the issue, but I am a weed and I am also worried about that 1 in a million shot that takes a tooth out or chips a tooth by accident.

I know all the 'tricks of the trade' in terms of shaving foam, tootpaste, fairly liquid, anti fog wipes etc which I see as an aide rather than a fix (as I can apply this to any eyepro). But I am looking for a better performing 'foundation' in terms of the kit itself.

Does anyone use any of these dual lens (also reffered to as 'thermal lens') type goggles? I am considering 'buying myself out' of the fogging problem (as far as I can) by getting a top end set of goggles, like these Wiley X 'Spear' dual lens goggles SEE HERE

If anyone has these or uses something similar it would be great to know if they work or not?

Thanks in advance.

- Sharpe

PS: Sorry I know this is my second post on the subject of Eyepro, but this is a more targeted question.

11 minutes ago, Sharpe_95 said:

... I am aware that the majority of the problem is that I wear a mesh mask, which probably causes 90% of the issue....

Hmm, can you elaborate on why a mesh mask would contribute to the problem of condensation?

• Supporters

Mesh lower will direct a proportion of your warm, wet breath up into the gap between eye and lens, if the lens is cooler than that air condensation will occur. 

I doubled down a couple of years ago and have a set of ESS Profile turbofan goggles with a thermal lens.  Works perfectly with the fan on low. 

Wear less layers and more ventilated clothes; produce less heat = less fogging and sweat.

To me it's better to amend the source of the issue rather than find a way to live with it.

• Supporters

Due i4 mask. I suffered just like you, I’m a sweaty pig and the goggles and glasses I used to use fogged up like I was in a steam room.

With the Dye i4s I have run around constantly for hour on hour and never ever had any fogging or condensate.

• Supporters

I tried the Pyramex iForce dual pane glasses / goggles which did work better than single pane, but they gave up the ghost eventually too.

Revision anti-fog wipes do seem to help.  I have managed to get a whole day out of iForce + revision wipes but they tend to smear rather than fog and I can never be fully confident in them.

What really works for me though is a set of single pane (fan) goggles with a DIY 2nd pane made of 0.75m PETG clear plastic.  Cut it so that it just fits inside the frame, then use a thin strip of 2mm or 3mm double sided foam tape to stick it inside the main polycarb pane.

Sounds ghetto, but dual pane is as dual pane does, and it really does work for me.  I used fan goggles as a base, but I never have to use the fan now.

tl;dr version - yes, I think dual pane works, no I wouldn't pay £115 for them.

Revision wipes layered up on duel pannel goggles with the foam at the top cut away works a treat for me.  I also wear a mash face mask, the One Tigris half mesh and fabric ones.

Fresh wipe from a new revision wipe at the start of the day and the same wipe used after lunch does my day.  Im guessing the months of wipes used have layered up my goggles with the hydrophobic stuffs(?)

Slam the mask as close as possible to your mouth, for some reason it helps.

Dual pane goggles are a bit hit and miss, for some they work, for me they don't.

I had to cut venting slits in my valken sierra goggles to improve ventilation, now it takes a couple of hours for them to fog up, opposed to just 30 seconds in their standard conditions. And even then I use them as a backup to my glasses..

I also gave up on "full" lower face mesh masks, I found my own solution with a square piece of mesh sewn into a lycra neck tube and, as I said earlier, the mesh sits right on my mouth with no space in between. Prevents fogging, lets me aim down sights without too much hassle and, most important thing, saves my teeth.

can people elaborate more on the foam they remove from their goggles i.e is it  removed from the top, bottom or both? 

I have pyramex i force dual pane ones haven't used them yet but would like to know some tricks if I start to get issues.

I’m doing something at the moment, so can’t really post much

Ive noticed the Dye i4s have had a mention

They seem to be very popular in airsoft, which may be because they are a small Paintball goggle. (Eg low profile on the head and unlikely to get in the way of a stock)

They are often highlighted for reasons not necessarily unique to them. Such as for better anti fog performance 

They are a premium goggle, with good dual pane lenses as standard, soft rubber material, etc.  But they can still fog up.

If in the wrong conditions or depending on head shape, breathing, sweating you can find them foggy too

I still have i3s which are pretty much the same standard (the i3 also had an airsoft edition) I also wore them this year when I lost my main goggles in a ‘safe place’ for a day at Paintfest

The i4s are useless  to me as I have a big head and would be regualarly shot in the mouth 

Unless you are a child or small headed & small chinned the i4 leaves a lot exposed

Paintball goggles come in basic, premium and very premium designs at varying prices.

Any premium goggle over £30 / £40 (and a few at those prices) will have the features needed

I also have a few pairs of ‘cheap’ rental grade hard plastic goggles.  My Sly Annex ones have a perfect fit on my head, so are comfortable and work as a good solid camera platform

A nice rubber based set of goggles, with a reasonable lens (dont abuse the lens and don’t put any anti fog treatment on it until the factory features give up, in which case consider replacing the lens due to age),the right fit for your head, and the right venting for your breathing will serve a player well

Idealy look around and ask to try on people’s goggles

After trying pretty much every major eye pro on the market over the last 5 years i settled on Revision desert locust fan goggles with the dual pane lens. I even tried Dye I4 with a fan module added, still fogged them after 20 mins fast play.

Bit OTT but they never fog up, and have been run every week for 9 months.
Not cheap, but mega quality. Bought on advice of a cousin who used his in Afghanistan as he wasnt happy with what he was issued.
Forget shot testing with an AEG haha these have passed tests against 12G shotguns !.

12 hours ago, Musica said:

can people elaborate more on the foam they remove from their goggles i.e is it  removed from the top, bottom or both? 

I have pyramex i force dual pane ones haven't used them yet but would like to know some tricks if I start to get issues.

I just removed to top foam.  Leaves a small gap. And had a bb once drop into em after being hit in the forehead.  Bit suprising but its got no energy to do any damage by falling in.  But thats like one event in probably 150 hours of play.  And my face does seem to attact bbs

12 hours ago, Musica said:

On my revision bullet ant goggles I removed both top and bottom foam. This along with Abby anti fog spray stopped 90% of my fogging/condensation problems. 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Musica said:

You don't have foam on your i-Forces. It's found on the bigger single pane goggles, meant to keep out dust.  In practice, it keeps in moisture.

I've tried pretty much everything: shaving foam, washing up liquid, anti fog sprays, Cat Crap (yes, really) anti fog gloop, and even potatoes (yes, I did say poh-tay-to).

The only thing that's actually worked for me is Revision branded anti-fog wipes.

You can pay crazy prices for them if you buy them in small amounts.  This bulk listing is the cheapest that I can find at the moment.

As others have mentioned above, the Dye i4 is a great solution. I have one and it has never fogged up on me.

However, as mentioned above, it's small and leaves my forehead exposed so I wear extra layers on my head for protection against the inevitable head shots when ever I poke my head around a corner.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

You don't have foam on your i-Forces. It's found on the bigger single pane goggles, meant to keep out dust.  In practice, it keeps in moisture.

I've tried pretty much everything: shaving foam, washing up liquid, anti fog sprays, Cat Crap (yes, really) anti fog gloop, and even potatoes (yes, I did say poh-tay-to).

The only thing that's actually worked for me is Revision branded anti-fog wipes.

You can pay crazy prices for them if you buy them in small amounts.  This bulk listing is the cheapest that I can find at the moment.

Thank you I already had the wipes on my amazon wish list but it was 3 for 12.99! You've saved me a small fortune as a disposable item possible a large fortune. 

I was going to get some and leave them in my kit bag and only use them if I had issues as I hear a lot of people say let the standard coating wear off first. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Try rainex wipes from Halfords. They work perfectly on my brothers locusts and team mates bullet ants

Hey guys thanks for all the comments. 

Well I've taken a chance and gone for Wiley X dual pane 'thermal' goggles as they no longer do the fan version.

I'm trying them out at Gunmans Eversley FilmSim tomorrow so will report back here with the outcome. 

I'll run them first with the mask and the foam in initially to see how much better/worse they are compared to glasses. 

After that ill look at taking the foam out.

Like a lot of people have mentioned I am also a 'hit it with everything' kinda guy. So if that still doesn't work I may have to get some kind of fan rigged up.

Failing that it's off with the mesh mask, which when I ran without it last time resolved the issue. I bought a 'snood' to at least offer some kind of protection - even if it only stops me from eating a BB.

I didn't get enough time to get the wipes so if it's all going Pete tong next ill order some in the hope they stop me having to bodge a fan.

Fingers crossed, and I'll let you know how it goes :)

- Sharpe. 

All,

As promised having played a game on Saturday I have some notes on the performance of the eyepro. 

Some notes on the conditions. It was about 3- 5 degrees, very overcast with little wind and the site is dense woodland. It was also quite humid and by the afternoon 'mizzle' and then drizzle set in. So very poor conditions in my honest opinion. 

First run was with Wiley X 'spear' dual ('thermal') lens, with mesh mask with a 'snood' over the top in the hope it might prevent the worse of the build up.

Result- bad fogging (but not condensation) build up within about 30 mins of not particually active moving around. I would add this was still an improvement (I think) as while the fog prevented play, it was not as thick as the condensation build up on the ballistic glasses 2 weeks before in slightly better conditions. 

Next I cut the foam out the top and bottom of the Google's (it's to protect from dust. I was not concerned that a bb would be likely to enter straight up or down the goggle). There are plastic ridges that would probably prevent it anyway, so I was not concerned about cutting out the little foam strip.

I also ran with the mask and snood off as it was too warm for the snood and I didn't want to risk another fogging up incident.

Result: The goggles were perfect and there was not a hint of fog build up for the rest of the day. The performance was actually better than the ballistic glasses from two weeks ago despite the fact that the ballistic glasses were in slightly better conditions and logically have much better ventilation. However whereas there was still fogging on the glasses (also with mask off) there was not a sight of fogging on the goggles. 

Next time I play I will try again with the mesh mask and see if the mask/eyepro combo is doomed to fail in colder months.

More news follows as I learn more. 

- Sharpe. 

• 1 month later...

All,

A slightly late update owing to missing the game in early feb and mid feb!

So the next update in this series, played last weekend at Gunman Eversley. Conditions we very wet (steady rain) and strong winds basically all day. Gunman Eversley is a heavily wooded area, but the wind was so strong it was still noticeable at ground level among the trees (BB's doing crazy stuff!). Temperature was in the very low teens or very high singles. Humidity was low owing to the wind.

I did not wear my mesh face guard, but did wear the googles and (initially the snood - until i took it off as it wasn't really comfortable/practical). 

Long story short - hardly a hint of fogging! There were one or two times when it tried to fog (barely noticeable around the bottom of the mask), this was when i had my snood on and it never built up and often cleared very quickly.

I will endeavour to wear my mask the next time I play, if not next weekend then in early April.

'SITREPS to follow'.

- Sharpe

For me it’s always the lower protection that causes the issues. If I use a lower for cqb I need to use mesh goggles. If I’m playing outside then even cheap bolle glasses don’t really steam up if I’ve no lower

Many a moon ago when I played competitive Paintball , I used a JT mask , with thermal lense (double layered) and had a fan attached to the top of the goggle frame

I wear glasses as I am too squeamish to try contacts

I never had a problem with steaming up.

I now use Oakley glasses , with prescription inserts without hassle , along with a OneTigris face mask

I do occasionally see misting in my outer lense, but that's only when crouched down and not trying to control my breath downwards.

I do think a sealed unit will eventually steam up without good ventilation or a battery fan

I spent over a year trying different types of eyepro..but settled on 'real steel' military issue gear.  I use both Revision goggles & ballistic glasses.  (MOD issue)  and swear by Revision wipes.  You can get all these from EBAY... (Do not buy wipes from tac websites as you'll get ripped off...you can buy bulk off ebay for much better value)

Archived