Proper battery disposal

Prisce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Title says it all really. 

Whats the proper way to dispose of dead batteries?

I have heard all sorts of crazy stuff, from piercing with a copper nail to burying in the back garden, so I’d actually like to know what the proper thing to do with them is.

By the gov advice follow this:

https://www.gov.uk/hazardous-waste-disposal

Or just do this to neutralise it so it’s not a hazard: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.ehow.co.uk/how_5962380_dispose-lipo-batteries.html

or nail. It’s so fun. 

Which is exactly what the first link sends you to. With one minor exception. Officially (not saying your incorrect either as I do not know your local one) sanctioned disposal which #prisce asked for. Not knocking your local tip but...... if it’s mine? In a garrison town? They have no idea of half the things that pass through the gates lol

My local halfords has a battery recycling box for disposing of your old batteries.  Not sure if a lipo could be put in.  Doesn't have any restrictions that I could see.

Most supermarkets my way have a box somewhere near the tills or exit for batteries. B&Q has one as well.

Or drop it in a glass of strong salt water (outside with contacts submerged) and forget about it for a while. It should totally drain.

• Supporters

You see this is my issue, it doesn’t seem like there is a lot of knowledge about what should be done rather than what you could do.

I thought about putting in recycling centres battery box, but these lipos are more volatile and dangerous than your standard Car batteries or AA batteries. 

Surely the fact I’m disposing of them in the first case means they are no longer safe, where would I stand if I put them in say the supermarkets recycling box and they went pop, pretty sure I’d get accused of some terrorism related offence, or at least scare people into thinking that’s what’s happening.

Putting them in salt water and then putting them into one of these boxes seems the safest option. 

But is it the right one? 

What about WEEE? Does my local Airsoft battery shop have to dispose of them for me under WEEE? Can I take them to any WEEE recycling shop?

I think Should and Could are just options.

I wouldn't say any are wrong as such, they're all ways of disposal however I understand your concerns.

10 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Putting them in salt water and then putting them into one of these boxes seems the safest option. 

That would be the safest option. Neutralise and dispose. You can always put electrical tape over the contacts once flat and even tape the battery as an extra layer of protection. Once it's in the box there's no real chance of anything compromising it and if it's totally flat it should be quite safe. (IMHO!)

• Supporters

https://www.gov.uk/battery-waste-supplier-reponsibilities

"[Retailers] must take back any type of sealed battery that can be carried without difficulty by an average person.

This includes (but is not limited to) AA, AAA and 9v batteries, rechargeable batteries and batteries from:

mobile phones

laptops

hearing aids

watches

portable cameras

torches

electric toothbrushes

razors

hand-held vacuum cleaners

It should be suitable for the safe storage of all kinds of portable batteries, not just the types you sell"

Laptop batteries are lipo and have energy of the magnitude of airsoft batteries.

Sling anything airsoft related you like in there.  It's not your problem if the storage is unsuitable or the battery is mishandled.

Problems?  Grass them to [email protected]

• Supporters
On 14/01/2019 at 20:54, Prisce said:

piercing with a copper nail 

Make sure you video that one!

WEEE regs don't cover batteries but most WEEE certified recyclers will have facilities to dispose of batteries because of the laptops they will inevitably encounter. Most local waste tips have battery boxes too so that would be a good first shout. No need to worry about safety, that's their responsibility once you dump the battery.

Archived