Maxx hop up chamber and tru-hop bucking

Craigmc1983
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, 

Was just wondering if this would be a good combo?

I'm looking to do my first upgrade and the the hop up seems to be the most relatively straightforward one to do.

The Maxx hop up really caught my eye, it seems well made and you can add a tracer unit to it if needed. Sounds pretty cool to me! Haha

But I haven't read much on the tru-hop? The manufacturer talks a good talk but has anyone had experience with it? Am I right in thinking I wouldn't need a nub as well? 

I've got a nuprol defender, I know most of you aint a fan but I'm more than happy with it so far. The barrel and gears are great, it has a micro switch trigger so I'm not gonna play about with any of that just yet. 

• Supporters

not used either but tbh most of the time you don't really need to upgrade the hop unit itself, just the hop rubber/nub combo.

personally i'd start with a flat hop nub and either a prometheus pre-cut flathop or a g&g green then cut it myself.

the trick to hop upgrades is making sure it's aligned right, have a look down the barrel when you're done and make sure when the hop is on that it's square, if it's off to one side then it'll constantly steer bb's that direction which isn't ideal.

save the money from the maxx hop unit for some .3g bb's, that with a well done flathop should give you a decent boost in practical range.

• Supporters

I have the Maxx TE (tracer) hop and it's really rather good. It comes with a number of options for hop arms and the tracer unit itself is way better than the Madbull 3-in-1 version. If you're planning on getting the tracer just buy the bundle with it in as it's cheaper.

I'm currently running mine with a Maple Leaf rubber and their Omega nub and that's working well.

Couple of things to bear in mind - the latch at the bottom of the feed tube stops you dropping BBs when you change mag but you MUST remember to poke you finger into the magwell and clear it properly before you go to the safe zone! The tracer connects to the balance lead of your main battery. If your gun is rear wired then it comes with a longer cable to suit but you do need to find a suitable route where it won't get pinched. Also bear in mind that the battery needs to be a decent capacity as it WILL kill it a lot quicker having the tracer on.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I've just got a Prometheus purple and a flat nub delivered. I'll give that a try first.

I do really like the sound of the built in tracer. My GF accidentally put my battery in the wash so bought a new 2000Mah one a couple of weeks ago, do you reckon that'll be good enough?

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Craigmc1983 said:

My GF accidentally put my battery in the wash so bought a new 2000Mah one a couple of weeks ago, do you reckon that'll be good enough?

That's what I use now.

Archived