Battery Charger help

Musica
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum seemed most suitable because only applicable to electric guns.  I am new to the sport and will need to pick up a charger to hopefully prevent me burning down my house.  I don't have my AEG yet but I have settled on the mantra get 1 or 2 AEGs before anything else. I might need to charge a LIFE battery as I am looking as a scoprion evo which need to run LIFE battery's if under 1j. 

I see a lot of recommendations for the IMAX b6 but everyone seems to say "get it of ebay" and "make sure its genuine" but those 2 things don't go hand in to hand to me. 

I also get confused over the model with a power supply and without and people saying to use a laptop charger etc. I'm not looking to save some money when it comes to this I just want the safe option that I can plug in and use. 

Can anyone provide some links to reputable chargers doesn't have to be the IMAX b6 as long as it's a safe charger. 

I'd appreciate a few different sites so I can maybe bundle in some batteries or extra gear when I order. 

Thanks.

Hobby king sells the B6.

There are 2 common variants.

The standard b6 you need a 12v power supply (some are supplied with it)

The B6AC - It has it's own power regulator in it and runs off mains with a kettle flex. I would spend the extra £10 and have this one. It'll save you having to remember what power brick goes with what! 

Another thing you have to watch out for is the polarity of the Tamiya connectors. Airsoft wires those connectors backward compared to all other industries. So if you get a remote controlled car charger it will have leads that are wrong for airsoft. The charger will be the same, but the wires it comes with to connect Nimh batteries will be backward. (you can still use the leads, but the red will go in the black on the charger).

This isn't an issue if you are using lipo and life batteries as you will be charging with the balance connector. And all industries use the same format for those connectors.

Genuine b6 no power supply. £26.51
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-50w-5a-charger-discharger-1-6-cells-genuine.html

Genuine B6AC £35.54
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6ac-v2-professional-balance-charger-discharger-uk-plug.html

Hobby king does some of the cheapest batteries you will find. The Turnigy range is well regarded, but it is pointless getting them until you know what gun you will be getting. Some guns are very limited on space.

If you do get batteries make sure there listest as airsoft. The connectors will be backward if you get Tamiya or small Tamiya batteries for any other hobby. Deans are wired the same. This is an issue as the incorrect battery polarity will damage a gun.

Hobbyking list all of the airsoft batteries in the Lifestyle/Airsoft tab at the top.

Component Shop is also very good for batteries and chargers. I tend to use them for the quick delivery options when I desperately need something the following day. Nowhere near as cheap as hobbyking, but the website is much easier to navigate! They have batteries listed as Airsoft and then into voltage and chemistry types. It makes looking for a battery very easy!

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/

Thanks for the post it has been a big help. I don't intend to run NiCd or Nimh so I think I should be safe charging wise via the balance lead. Will try to keep to airsoft batteries to prevent putting them in the wrong way.

Will spring for the built in PSU.

Appreciate the advice. 

Archived