Does anyone train?

Grey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a place I go to that has a few buildings and a small wooded area that's good for dynamic movement but aside from static target practice in gardens, does anyone or any teams regularly go anywhere to train together?

• Supporters

If you class morale making outings as training, sure. They involve a lot of alcohol and usually end in fried chicken. And previously to this, we tend to have a good pew at a privately hired site or something. 

Knowing the members of your team, and having fun, is all that matters.

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, Grey said:

I have a place I go to that has a few buildings and a small wooded area that's good for dynamic movement but aside from static target practice in gardens, does anyone or any teams regularly go anywhere to train together?

Even if they trained for a mth 90% of airsofter couldn’t pull off a ‘dynamic’ entry of a playhouse let alone a real door even if Scarlet johanson was flat on her back on the other side screaming “I’m dripping ! give it too me my Airsoft God !” 🤦‍♂️ 

Then I don’t see much point really , as Prisce said just get out with your mates and have some fun together , all you need in the end .👍

I don’t skirmish, but target practice and Practical Shooting have massively improved my aiming speed and aim, and I’m not really competitive with it

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

I don’t skirmish, but target practice and Practical Shooting have massively improved my aiming speed and aim, and I’m not really competitive with it

Devils advocate that kind of training would make a difference as you can practise target shooting for hrs if you want but you can only ‘dynamically’ train for a short period of time before your on your chin strap (and that’s the blokes doing it for real , Joe public ? No chance) AND for the training to be even vaguely of any use you need wks of practice practice practice ? 

I think it adds another layer of enjoyment - certainly from the practical side like rocketdogbert mentioned. Running a course and getting on target as quick as you can is good fun 👍

And I'm with EDcase... it's car all the way! 😀

4 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Even if they trained for a mth 90% of airsofter couldn’t pull off a ‘dynamic’ entry of a playhouse let alone a real door even if Scarlet johanson was flat on her back on the other side screaming “I’m dripping ! give it too me my Airsoft God !” 🤦‍♂️ 

Then I don’t see much point really , as Prisce said just get out with your mates and have some fun together , all you need in the end .👍

You say that like most airsofters could dynamic entry Scarlet Johanson to begin with. I mean we're obviously compensating for something with our toy guns, right? :3

As for Op, I've done re-load drills, and stuff that's about it. 

Dunno about Dynamic entries but I've seen a fair few Dramatic entries.

Although I see more dramatic exits which are always amusing.

"Bloody this & that, screw you guys I'm going home!" looooooool :lol:

We don't train (12 of us) but we do get better the more we play together. Some of us just click.

• Supporters

Weird that people ridicule the average clueless airsofter but also ridicule training in the same post. :)

If you see you could use training to play the game the way you wish you could then by all means do.

I used to do target practice in the garden, like shooting from different positions, moving while firing, reloads, switching to secondary, etc.

And with my team we did training days, even found proper instructors to teach us stuff because we aimed to be better than the average airsofter.

There is nothing wrong to play airsoft as a form of socializing with a hint of sport here and there but also nothing wrong with it if you want to play it the other way around, more action, enjoying that your skills are better than the average and less about socializing.

TL;DR: if you feel you need skills, you can build them with training

12 hours ago, Grey said:

I think it adds another layer of enjoyment - certainly from the practical side like rocketdogbert mentioned. Running a course and getting on target as quick as you can is good fun 👍

And I'm with EDcase... it's car all the way! 😀

I agree with the "layer" viewpoint, everyone can add on as much as they want.

31 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Weird that people ridicule the average clueless airsofter but also ridicule training in the same post. :)

If you see you could use training to play the game the way you wish you could then by all means do.

I used to do target practice in the garden, like shooting from different positions, moving while firing, reloads, switching to secondary, etc.

And with my team we did training days, even found proper instructors to teach us stuff because we aimed to be better than the average airsofter.

There is nothing wrong to play airsoft as a form of socializing with a hint of sport here and there but also nothing wrong with it if you want to play it the other way around, more action, enjoying that your skills are better than the average and less about socializing.

TL;DR: if you feel you need skills, you can build them with training

Something that I'm working on is looking as Airsoft as simply a platform and adding in elements to the environment to make the player have to think more than usually.

I look at it like this, I don't know everything and I have changed a lot of habits after watching videos by Tactical Rifleman, etc.

So if proper instructors are around then I'd take every course they have to offer. Knowledge is power!

I'll give an example, simple things like poking your muzzle out of a window or how to pie a corner, the younger players will lose interest if experience is not passed on and that might not happen mid-game.

You know what, I can guarantee you that anyone saying they wouldn't go a course that if they start getting burned a lot and he/she starts hearing those players all had a session with x instructor, watch how fast they'll sign up.

This may be mostly a casual pastime but there is still a level of competition in terms of gear and abilities.

If someone has a RIF that reaches 100m and everyone else is at 70m, it forces us to match it.

Or if a certain brand of BB could hold a flat trajectory for longer, again, we'll switch.

So if information can make you a better player and it's not a massive inconvenience, you'll sign up if you notice others creeping ahead of you in that regard.

• Supporters

But, but, training doesn't achieve anything.

3... 2...  

(See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dejnlz2bqg )

Yes, clickbait airsoft hyperbole and selective editing, but fitness, speed, aggression and tactical awareness really do count against Tactical Amblers.

• Supporters

Dont think anyone is really say “don’t do any training of any sort !” Training of anykind will help and will put you one step above the tactical ambler’s (I like that term !👍) but then again just scurmishing with a couple of mates you know and try to stick together with will give you that ? , but with intuitive reacting without thinking situations unless your doing it for hrs on end till you literally can barely lift your gun day in day out then me personally I don’t see the point as I don’t believe your going to build the muscle memory for the instant reaction without it OR the reliance on your team mates you’ve been training with to do there part of the task without you even thinking about it . Things like that come with time and repartition . Take the copper in the (highly edited) film , his gun was constantly moveing (and I bet every direction it was pointing in was the one he was looking at) the speed he was getting it on target and firing ? that only comes with hundreds of hrs of training not the odd afternoon with your mates kicking in (or trying too!) a few doors and more than likely pissing your selves laughing half the time when it all goes tits up ! 😂

Ive always said the most effect way to boost a teams ability is simply comms , get everyone on comms and I think you can absolutely dominate any game .

All I want is a simple progression in skill set.

How to range UGLs.

How to judge wind

How to observe terrain

How to use Camouflage

I'm sure I started a thread on this already, but I'm itching to get a list of skills people have and want.

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

How to range UGLs.

Grenade launchers?  Tag grenades?

Actually, that is a valid concern given the cost of the pop-bang ordnance.  Practising with dummy training rounds would literally pay off.

I mean, unless you lose them.  Which you probably would in woodland.

• Supporters
On 14/01/2019 at 13:01, Seth_K said:

How to range UGLs.

How to judge wind

How to observe terrain

How to use Camouflage

UGL’s ; if your not using a dedicated sight then experience is the only way you’ll crack it .

wind ; look at the plant life around you , which way is it bending ? That’s the direction it’s blowing in .

how strong is the wind ? Again look at the plants being affected , is the grass barely moving or moving a lot ? This will tell you how strong it is and if it’ll affect you BBs .

Are there dense bushes/ trees and how much are they moving a small amount or a lot ? Again tells you how strong the wind is.

are the plants moving continuously or intermittently? This’ll tell you if it’s gusting or not .

terrain ; can you see shadows on the ground with out any trees or structures around ? If yes then it’s undulating ground with hollows and ridges . Is there any running water around the area ? Which way is it running ? If yes then your on ground that has a descending gradient and depending on how fast it’s flowing tells you if it’s a steep gradient or not . Are the plants in your area dark or light ? If dark  that indicates moist ground light suggests dryer ground . Dense or sparse ? Again dense suggests dryer ground sparse wetter (plus you do have to factor time of year as well , is it winter or summer ?) Are they bushy or more clumpy long grass like ?  Bushy plants less water under foot , clumpy grass like plants wetter under foot . 

Camouflage ; Shape , the human body is a distinctive shape , you need to change it . Shine , things that go ‘sparkle sparkle’ will give away your position . Silhouette , be aware of your background if your wearing dark clothing and you stand in front of somthing pale , you’ll stand out !

Shadow , where’s the light coming ? which way is it casting a shadow ? Step back in to a shadow and you can’t be seen even in plain sight , hide behind cover but cast a shadow that can be seen then the other side will still know your there .

Sound , sound travels so shut up and stop crashing around in the undergrowth a snapping twig sounds like a gun going off in woodland and sit still where ever you are and stop fidgeting .

Speed ; move slowly and carfully , always plan your root even if your only going 10ft never rush , the eye is attuned to fast movements (part of the fight or flight reaction) hence hunting animals always move VERY slowly and methodically to get as close as possible to its prey before the burst of speed to try and catch it , walk heal to toe at all times when moving tactically . 

Surroundings ; what’s the terrain like around you , have you got appropriate real plants tucked in your kit ? If you’ve got a couple of branches from a bush stuck in your kit because you were in the woods but your now in grass then your going to stand out like a pimple on someone’s arse ! Which way do you suspect the other side to be coming from ? If you intend to hide in a bush then don’t enter it from that side , you want to do it from the other side . Are you in a big grass field and there’s a lovely big bush in the middle that’ll be a perfect camouflage point ? If there is don’t go anywhere near it , if you think it’s perfect then so will they .

I watch Who Dares Wins once a month ( only the last 10 mins)

There is also a show on Netflix called CQB hosted by some ex Delta Force bloke. Each episode covers a different SF unit and what tactics they use. I watch that and I am probably a tier one operator now.

1 hour ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

There is also a show on Netflix called CQB hosted by some ex Delta Force bloke. Each episode covers a different SF unit and what tactics they use. I watch that and I am probably a tier one operator now.

13 hours for me, love it. 

When I was in the Bolsheviks (Modern Russian group) we used to hire sites and have a meet up two or three times a year for members only.  The first day of which would involve some kind of training serial laid on by us serving or ex HM Forces members present.  Subjects covered basic fire and manoeuvre, patrolling, vehicle debussing, room entry and CQB etc etc.  The only difficulty is that of change in personel with people leaving and entering the team and having to redo the training.  Skill fade also came into it.  The second of the days would then be a 'game' where the instructing staff inevitably played the enemy.  Sometimes we would get outside teams in to help play the enemy as well.  I left because my focus was on historical rather than modern loadouts but it remains some of the best airsoft I have done.

2 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

bloody brilliant

9 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Subjects covered basic fire and manoeuvre, patrolling, vehicle debussing, room entry and CQB etc etc.

That's some nice core subjects, why was it some of the best airsoft? I wanna find some training now.

9 hours ago, Seth_K said:

That's some nice core subjects, why was it some of the best airsoft? I wanna find some training now.

Primarily because it was internally ran and we had none of the usual complaints about cheating as the training team were the enemy the next day not Joe Random

Archived