£30 eBay "Dye" rip off shattered

Robert James
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know this video is not Airsoft, however places like eBay and other such sites sell rip offs of proper items all the time which us airsofters also buy.

Most people on here follow the why compromise on your eye sight rule however, it's something to look out for at skirmishes etc

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2101922213198875&id=155240891200360

• Supporters

dang, saw this on a Facebook post and thought "WOW".

Some people are willing to put profit over people safety first. I wouldn't mind so much if they made, bold, clear statements that this is "NOT FOR AIRSOFT/PAINTBALL" and state why but clearly they are selling it for the express purpose those activities.

I for one am glad i have never taken chances with eye pro, full seal googles or masks all day from good reputable retailers and brands that are tried and tested.

I mean i'll be honest, a decent Dyc i4 can be had for over £50 so its just a little bit more with guarantee.

• Supporters

Great spot by those marshals.

Given how cheap and effective polycarbonate is, I'm amazed that they managed to make one that couldn't stand up to that.  I wonder if that's acrylic ("perspex") rather than polycarb ("lexan").

Bear in mind that in China, multiple companies poisoned babies by putting melamine in baby formula, just to turn a bit more profit.  They just don't give a damn.

• Supporters

[devil's advocate] it can be tricky if for example they're intending primarily for selling to say the japanese market with a 1j limit but the product has then been re-distributed by private sellers into other markets where the limit is higher[/devil's advocate]

of course even if you are in a country where there are lower limits doesn't mean there aren't sneaky cheaters out there running hotter so it pays to stay on the safe side.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

[devil's advocate] it can be tricky if for example they're intending primarily for selling to say the japanese market with a 1j limit but the product has then been re-distributed by private sellers into other markets where the limit is higher[/devil's advocate]

of course even if you are in a country where there are lower limits doesn't mean there aren't sneaky cheaters out there running hotter so it pays to stay on the safe side.

I can see where you're coming from with the joule thing, but many players don't know what that is. So you may read 300fps and think that's fine. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Robert James said:

I can see where you're coming from with the joule thing, but many players don't know what that is. So you may read 300fps and think that's fine. 

indeed, it's disturbing the amount of times it's only been my own honesty that's kept me from being able to run 328fps on .3's or even .4's with the marshalls even commenting that it seems a bit low.

and that's just a lack of understanding of energy let alone joule creep.

• Supporters
On 13/01/2019 at 00:50, Shizbazki said:

Some people are willing to put cost over personal safety first.

Fixed that for you.

I've lost count of the number of times people have asked for eyepro recommendations and then gone and bought a £5 pair from ebay.

Well keep buying cheap Chinese shit then.

As always, it's the buyer, not the seller.

Remember that retailers sell what the ignorant mass wants.

• Supporters

“There dangerous ! Why aren’t they banned ! We need law’s against them !”  This comes up time and time again in any safety equipment discussion , I say no don’t try and ban them or legislate against them or try and prosecuted the retailers (unless there knowingly selling duff goods as the real thing) there’s just no point , quite frankly it’ll cost too much and your going to be on a slow train to nowhere trying too achieve any of these goals . If the recognised genuine product is £80+ and the ‘un-branded’ one is £30 then as the old saying goes “you get what you pay for” and it is safe to say we all know the kind of player who’ll buy the all sing all dancing fan assisted guaranteed to never fog and will stop a charging rhino for only £5.99 goggles from fleabay can’t be told there shite as they know better than you so there ! 

• Supporters
On 14/01/2019 at 11:38, Druid799 said:

the ‘un-branded’ one is £30

While bearing in mind that there's no reason why you couldn't make a fully protective mask for £30.  The materials in it cost pennies, so even at that price it's being sold at a big mark up.  What's gone wrong there is that the manufacturer has chiselled every single penny-cent-Yuan and used something other than polycarb, or has made it ludicrously thin.

It can be tough to avoid this even for ethical importers.  Bait and switch is a favourite trick in the Far East.  Produce a decent sample, or small batch, then cheap out on the components once a big production run has been ordered.  Or just hold the QC failures back until you get the contract.

Mentioned in the Novrisch SSP1 thread: you order 50, they make 100 and give you the least bad 50.  Then you order 1000, and they make another 950 and give you the lot, including the worst 50 from the first run.

I've done point blank test shots on all my eye pro using 0.43g bbs, and I'd thoroughly recommend that everyone else do likewise.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Lozart said:

Fixed that for you.

I've lost count of the number of times people have asked for eyepro recommendations and then gone and bought a £5 pair from ebay.

Haha it was like 2am when i type that weary eyed

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, _stylian_ said:

Interestingly the FMA fan goggles are pretty good ans have been recommended on here. I use them and never had any issues other than DOA fans

Yea my son has a pair as does a team mate , both really good bits of kit .

i wonder if it’s due to the size of the lense compared to the goggles ?

I can never ever understand people buying replica eye pro you can get a set of Bolle glasses for like £8 ?!?

24 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I think people generally like the aesthetics of dye so if you can get them cheap why not

because it's not about looking tacticool it's about the actual protection they provide. If you want to look cool pay the premium for the quality product. I don't have a problem with copied kit but this is the one bit of kit that actually needs to be protecting you. 

1 minute ago, Musica said:

because it's not about looking tacticool it's about the actual protection they provide. If you want to look cool pay the premium for the quality product. I don't have a problem with copied kit but this is the one bit of kit that actually needs to be protecting you. 

Yes I know. Hence why I posted the original video. 

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

Yes I know. Hence why I posted the original video. 

was confused seemed like you were advocating getting the cheaper fake if people liked how it looked. My bad. 

Archived