Low Cap Only Games

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup, that was how my local one was run.  Or in effect, they said: 2 x hi caps, or 6 x mid caps for AEGs. And something like 90 rounds for snipers and 200 for DMRs.

However, 600 rounds would be 20 x 30 round real caps, so it's still nowhere near the paucity of ammo that I suspect Seth is imagining as part of his master plan to turn airsoft into a training and recruitment exercise for Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

If you want to run a real (pretend) milsim, you'd be looking at more like 6 x 30 round real caps, or sub 200 rounds per player.  People can have fun with that - to wit, the GBBR squad I was playing with - but it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and you'd want to think about what happens to players who run dry.

Years ago UCAP ran a low/real cap day in an old hospital and if you did run dry you had to try and make your way to an ‘armory’ on the other end of the site to reload , so as you were still in play you had to try and get there with out getting pinged by the other team , was one hell of a game ! 

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup, that was how my local one was run.  Or in effect, they said: 2 x hi caps, or 6 x mid caps for AEGs. And something like 90 rounds for snipers and 200 for DMRs.

However, 600 rounds would be 20 x 30 round real caps, so it's still nowhere near the paucity of ammo that I suspect Seth is imagining as part of his master plan to turn airsoft into a training and recruitment exercise for Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

If you want to run a real (pretend) milsim, you'd be looking at more like 6 x 30 round real caps, or sub 200 rounds per player.  People can have fun with that - to wit, the GBBR squad I was playing with - but it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and you'd want to think about what happens to players who run dry.

You know me so well :)

But this time I was thinking more about the balance between ammo count being a fun logistical challenge and being too serious.

30 is too low, 90 is just a midcap, I feel 60 *ahem* sits nicely in the middle. 

That said, 4-6 mags will get you 240-360 bbs, but that will be just fine ;)

• Supporters

If you're intending it as a training tool then you kind of have 2 options.

If the aim is to train in weapon handling then you'd be better with real caps and a gun that functions with the correct bolt lock functions etc.

If the aim is to replicate effectiveness then imo midcaps would be better, i dont know if anyone's done any proper study into it but as mentioned before due to the lack of accuracy in airsoft you tend to need more rounds to hit an equivalent target, how many more is unknown.

Meh, real caps are stupid (imo) for the simple reason many of you have already explained: airsoft guns have nowhere near the capabilities of a real gun.

All it takes is a leaf or tiny branch to send your bb off to the sky.

I can understand them being OK in a hardcore cqb milsim type of game, where your max range is 10 metres and everyone plays naked, but in every other scenario the only thing that comes to my mind is endless hordes of angry players yelling either "yo I hit you, call it" or "MAAAAAARSHAAAAAAAAAALL HE'S NOT CALLING HIS HITS" just because with 30 rounds available you MUST be ultra picky on targets..

midcaps are a nice balance between ammo capacity and not being a living maracas..

Low cap? Never, i'm real cap. I load so I can have the right number of rounds. :P

9 hours ago, Vulpiness said:

Low cap? Never, i'm real cap. I load so I can have the right number of rounds. :P

Then have fun waiting to get the perfect shot onto someone, only to realize he didn't feel it and cry in the deepest corner if your heart because you can't shoot him again unless you have 30 extra mags.

🤣

3 hours ago, Skara said:

Then have fun waiting to get the perfect shot onto someone, only to realize he didn't feel it and cry in the deepest corner if your heart because you can't shoot him again unless you have 30 extra mags.

🤣

I don't often have that problem, but it is a CQB Indoor site, so that probably has an effect. 

I carry 10 mags total, regulation is 7, but I can only reach 9, but to be fair the 8th, 9th, and 10th aren't supposed to be for me, Plus 300 rounds in speed loaders. for about 300 total

I've not run out of ammo yet, I do have to fall back to my 5 pistol mags sometimes, and once to my "hold out" pistol - 3 mags. 

But honestly I enjoy the excuse to use them.  

I reload allot, that's about it. 

Any questions. :P 

• Supporters

I tried a low cap only game today. Ended awfully.

One of the only games I think I have done in the last 2 years where I have used more than 500rounds in a single game. It was like a turkey shoot. I had to steal a hi cap from my brother and re bomb it twice. 

I like the idea of others using low caps at the same time as me though!

• Supporters

I own lo's,mid's & hi's, &I love lo-cap or ammo limit games, but all too often have encountered other players breaking the rules, which spoils it, so now even if I'm going to a game that's advertised as lo-cap, I'll chuck some higher capacity mags in the bag, & then if people start taking the piss, unleash hell lol.

for regular game days I'll usually take 3 hi's, merely because I only use single shot generally, & I've moved smaller/lighter load carrying kit, fuck plate carriers, look good but if your carrying injuries or poor fitness etc, then no point overloading oneself in tactical nylon, plus I don't move fast enough to make hi-caps rattle lol 🐌

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

I tried a low cap only game today. Ended awfully.

One of the only games I think I have done in the last 2 years where I have used more than 500rounds in a single game. It was like a turkey shoot. I had to steal a hi cap from my brother and re bomb it twice. 

I like the idea of others using low caps at the same time as me though!

Shame that, but like you said if we're all on a "lower" capacity of mags then I feel it could be really good.

Ive come to the conclusion that most of this forum can’t shoot straight 😂. If you need a 500 round mag to not feel outgunned, that other teams mag capacity isn’t the issue 

35 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Ive come to the conclusion that most of this forum can’t shoot straight 😂. If you need a 500 round mag to not feel outgunned, that other teams mag capacity isn’t the issue 

Come play in my country and you'll see why we use high caps ;)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Normally I would agree with you, today was extremely windy and as I said, the game I used them in was a turkey shoot, must have shot 100’s. Admittedly it was unfair, wind behind us and we had the high ground. But that was why it was so fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to play low cap games, one hit and you're out. It would completely change the game, would become a proper challenge. I can't see it working though, they'll always be cheaters. But if done properly it could be cool. Has anyone played this 'last man standing' type game? Or am I just describing paintball?? 

I actually really enjoy the game that Airsoft GB in Cholchester do where you are allowed one rifle mag but as many pistol mags as you want, really makes you think about the shots you are taking and once your rounds are spent you have to go and regen/bomb back up. Cant remember if they count the amount of regens you make but I'm pretty sure they do which counts towards the win/loss of the game.

11 hours ago, Resistor170 said:

I'd like to play low cap games, one hit and you're out. It would completely change the game, would become a proper challenge. I can't see it working though, they'll always be cheaters. But if done properly it could be cool. Has anyone played this 'last man standing' type game? Or am I just describing paintball?? 

Some places do these type games as I've played a few, Works better with smaller numbers though

31 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Just gives the opponents less ammo to spray back at me.

Even at low cap games people still tend to spray about and then wonder why their teams loose haha!

(just looked at your website and the mancave tab - fuck me sideways that's bloody cool!)

36 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Even at low cap games people still tend to spray about and then wonder why their teams loose haha!

(just looked at your website and the mancave tab - fuck me sideways that's bloody cool!)

Yeah I imagine there is an element of common sense that is unused at that kind of game.

**Mancave, thank you. I've changed the setup again recently (vertically stacked monitors) and I'm just waiting to put a new longer desk in, this summer it may even get some guttering! Has been a labour of love and the amount of times I've asked why I didn't just buy a garden pod or pre-fabbed building.

Archived